• No

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I'll tell you in a couple of years

Votes: 56 36.4%
  • ask me in 3 to 5 years

Votes: 40 26.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure what the club policy is, however I assume it's best available talent & or specific list needs (player type or position type).
Our most recent recruits have been busts:
2001 Richard Cole pick 11
2004 Chris Egan pick 10
Plus Cox, Dick, Buckley, Bennell, Ugle, Yagmoor & Armstrong.
I hope that we are not gun shy.
Krak was a success. Varcoe looking good. I would not have objected to Shane Yarran.
I look forward to our next indigenous player...

It's a sensitive issue that clubs cannot even discuss internally (just ask Matt Rendell).
W.A clubs appear more confident in recruiting young W.A indigenous players (closer to home & community).
Essendon, Richmond & Melbourne seem to consistently recruit??

Port Adelaide also have a strong Indigenous flavour. I am certainly not being critical of the club as it has a lot to do with list needs and draft selections.

Most of those are at least 1/2 white
bolt_large_m1718325.jpg

Why is "indigenous identity" so important to you PC people? To me people are just people and I take them as they come. You are the ones who are racist. Also you are the ones who are offensive, what you are saying to me is extremely offensive.

the fact is that most are more than 1/2 white. do you think there's something wrong with being half indigenous and half white. If not then why is it offensive? that means you are insulting people of mixed blood.
do you think people shouldnt' be allowed to say certain truths? Some truths should be hidden? YOu people are disgustingly oppressive but you dont' intimidate me so stiff cheese.

Hi Somebody, I come in peace.

One of our clients is a large indigenous not-for-profit. We have the pleasure of working with hundreds of young indigenous men and women.

For them, words like 'half indigenous' can be offensive because it can imply that they are not authentically indigenous. It is also the language that racist commentators use (I am not calling you one) when they want to undermine an indigenous Australian or their viewpoint.

Indigenous identity is so important to indigenous Australians, therefore many non-indigenous Australians (PC or otherwise) try to support them. This is grassroots reconciliation in action.

I believe you take people as they come. Your words have a broader context though.

Hi Somebody, I come in peace.

One of our clients is a large indigenous not-for-profit. We have the pleasure of working with hundreds of young indigenous men and women.

For them, words like 'half indigenous' can be offensive because it can imply that they are not authentically indigenous. It is also the language that racist commentators use (I am not calling you one) when they want to undermine an indigenous Australian or their viewpoint.

Indigenous identity is so important to indigenous Australians, therefore many non-indigenous Australians (PC or otherwise) try to support them. This is grassroots reconciliation in action.

I believe you take people as they come. Your words have a broader context though.

Beautifully put. Hopefully not wasted.

Indigenous talent from remote communities is certainly an area where clubs could focus more time on. It would take a lot of organising and support but the benefits for both the club and Aboriginal communities could be massive. I have said this before but I believe the AFL should give clubs two additional category B rookie spots for remote communities.

Or better still, set up academies - if they'd be welcome.

Paint a little moustache on him and the resemblance is frightening.
This is the part of political discussion that can be sad,
ON BOTH SIDES.
Sometimes wepaint people from opposing points of view in the worst light.
There is good and bad on all sides.
Messers Bolt and Alan Jones, walled aly may not be nice people, may be very annoying, etc but eg Bolt being alluded to one of the worst humans ever.. May just be a Bridge too far

The things that unite us are stronger than the things that divide us.

Thus endth the sermon of cliches et al

This is the part of political discussion that can be sad,
ON BOTH SIDES.
Sometimes wepaint people from opposing points of view in the worst light.
There is good and bad on all sides.
Messers Bolt and Alan Jones, walled aly may not be nice people, may be very annoying, etc but eg Bolt being alluded to one of the worst humans ever.. May just be a Bridge too far

The things that unite us are stronger than the things that divide us.

Thus endth the sermon of cliches et al

Appreciate the sentiment but I have no sympathy for Bolt and his kind.

Or better still, set up academies - if they'd be welcome.

I reckon an indigenous scholarship scheme would work well - at least one player per team.

They get to train with the AFL club, the club helps them with education, employment etc.

Could become another pathway to get more kids into the AFL, but also helping kids who in turn may well be able to go back and help their own communities.

I'm not sure what the club policy is, however I assume it's best available talent & or specific list needs (player type or position type).
Our most recent recruits have been busts:
2001 Richard Cole pick 11
2004 Chris Egan pick 10
Plus Cox, Dick, Buckley, Bennell, Ugle, Yagmoor & Armstrong.
I hope that we are not gun shy.
Krak was a success. Varcoe looking good. I would not have objected to Shane Yarran.
I look forward to our next indigenous player...

It's a sensitive issue that clubs cannot even discuss internally (just ask Matt Rendell).
W.A clubs appear more confident in recruiting young W.A indigenous players (closer to home & community).
Essendon, Richmond & Melbourne seem to consistently recruit??

Edit: I forgot about Neon Leon...how could I ? He was a great player for us.

?

I reckon an indigenous scholarship scheme would work well - at least one player per team.

They get to train with the AFL club, the club helps them with education, employment etc.

Could become another pathway to get more kids into the AFL, but also helping kids who in turn may well be able to go back and help their own communities.

The issue with this is that it involves removing the kid from the community.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll give him a pass and also a f##k you Dekka again not drafting an indigenous player, grrrr I'll do a td here :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. Goldcoast draft an indigenous player every f##kn year.
Who was available, worth a list spot, at our first pick?

Gut feeling is not good. We sorely need players with elite kicking ability and Bonner was there for the taking at 32. Would've liked us to pick up Mitch Brown too, as Reid is a very risky conveyance, as is Nathan Brown to a lesser extent. Having a ready made, afl experienced key position player would've been nice.

You realise I wasn't really angry right?? who cares who was left in a so called weak draft.

I concur, draft on merit.

Moreover who were the indigenous talents available at our picks in past years during Hine's tenure who have gone on to make us regret choosing someone else? There should be stacks with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, yes?

It's bullsh#t and getting beyond ridiculous, might have to organise a petition march with Adam goodes leading the way out front of the Holden centre
440px-Recognise_Campaign_Adam_Goodes_Presser.jpg
Seriously.
Change the rules so a club can only draft an indigenous player in the first round of the draft.
Once you have, you then have to draft a player from a listed minority. (Muslim, Chinese, Somalian, etc)
Next round you have to pick from players with disabilities.
Next round from Women.
But...you can only include each selection in one category per round.
You can't just draft an female indigenous Muslim convert with bad eyesight in round 1.
Add another 5 to the playing list (49), a million to the cap and away.....we go.
Let's make it fully inclusive.

PS. Before anyone poos their pants, gays would be included under the listed minority category.
This category would allow you to expand the list whenever a new minority was created and take in which ever minority was "hot" in the media each season.
Gives greater flexibility. Eventually you could go from "Gays" to smaller minorities like "Unmarried Gays" and so on until every minority was represented in every team.

Next season we could add "Producers of quality Television" or "Successful Asylum Seekers under the Abbott junta", both infinitesimally minute minorities in this country.:D:D

Last edited:
Considering indigenous Australians are actually over-represented in the AFL based on their % of the population, I would've thought the real issue would be the complete lack of female involvement in the football department considering they make up a staggering 50% of the population (and actually slightly more in Australia I believe).

Based on the views in this thread, it's time to sack Buckley and Burns and replace them with females, regardless of whether they are better coaches.

Dekka gets a pass from me.
He, (and Bucks) seem to be building a team of solid citizens and ones that have similar goals.
Kids who have some form of a connection already and kids that will connect with each other when they get to the club.
Lastly, they're drafting kids who like our coaches - that's gotta be good also.

Back