Does Geelong actually exist?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeff76

Premiership Player
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Freo beat Hawks and they are the in team with headlines everywhere saying "Back in town" or "Freo un stoppable" yet we beat Freo and are sitting equal top but nothing, I repeat nothing about Geelong anywhere. There's even more about Richmond "possibly" playing finals.

Opposition supporters: Please read the board rules before posting in this thread.
Deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Freo beat Hawks and they are the in team with headlines everywhere saying "Back in town" or "Freo un stoppable" yet we beat Freo and are sitting equal top but nothing, I repeat nothing about Geelong anywhere. There's even more about Richmond "possibly" playing finals.

I don't care for the media sucking off Ballantyne's little pecker but I'm more interested in the sudden hatred of Geelong that appears to be popping up everywhere this year. Even the umpires boss has come out and blatantly said some decisions should or should not have been paid, as was the case with Troy Menzel/Jared Rivers earlier this year, Fremantle a couple weeks ago and then again with Christensen on the weekend. This not only provides ammunition for the buffoons who are already salivating with rage, but the umpires boss has always stood by his men in most circumstances.
Mick Malthouse has been another outspoken individual fueling the umpire debate as he's virtually blamed umpiring decisions for Carlton's two losses to the Cats this year.

The Nigel Lappin incident was quite comical when you listen to Mick describing the influence it had on the outcome of the game :D

Hmmm.... this is normal for WA. We seem to live in a bit of a bubble out here- and I used to always have to read online if I wanted to see anything about the GFC at all. Do you think it's contagious?

I don't care for the media sucking off Ballantyne's little pecker but I'm more interested in the sudden hatred of Geelong that appears to be popping up everywhere this year. Even the umpires boss has come out and blatantly said some decisions should or should not have been paid, as was the case with Troy Menzel/Jared Rivers earlier this year, Fremantle a couple weeks ago and then again with Christensen on the weekend. This not only provides ammunition for the buffoons who are already salivating with rage, but the umpires boss has always stood by his men in most circumstances.
Mick Malthouse has been another outspoken individual fueling the umpire debate as he's virtually blamed umpiring decisions for Carlton's two losses to the Cats this year.

The Nigel Lappin incident was quite comical when you listen to Mick describing the influence it had on the outcome of the game :D
Yep- Gieschen certainly rarely spoke out against the umpires. I think this new bloke must've lost a lot of money when he bet against the Cats in the past ;) so he has a big axe to grind. Perhaps it's just a stunt. Makes people sit up and take notice if there's a bit of controversy around the place.

never understood supporters like yourself. Respect your opinion but the ones who keep thinking we will be dismantled comprehensively on the big stage is strange to me. When was the last time our team was in awe of the opposition and got walloped under Scott's tenure?
If Hawthorn couldn't smack us when they were at the very peak of their powers last year (while we were flat and missing blokes), it ain't happening this year after the experience gained to many in our squad in 2014.

Thursday 29 May 2014: Sydney 148 def Geelong 38

so a final is played in June is it barmy?

no, but you asked when we last got walloped under scotts tenure... didnt mention finals.

if thats what you meant, im sorry. hasnt really happened if youre just talking finals, although we do have a fairly average recent finals record. not terrible, but not great.

once again, I am responding to Beth's thought on Geelong getting smashed in an up-and-coming final, when was the last time Geelong got smashed on the big stage under Scott's tenure?

I read it the same way barmy44 did - you didn't say finals when asking the last time we got walloped.

In terms of finals - we have lost 3 of our last 4, so that in itself isn't a great record and something which needs to turn around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

once again, I am responding to Beth's thoughts on Geelong getting smashed in an up-and-coming final, when was the last time Geelong got smashed on the big stage under Scott's tenure?
2012 elimination final, second quarter:

Fremantle 7.9.51
Geelong 0.3.3

never understood supporters like yourself. Respect your opinion but the ones who keep thinking we will be dismantled comprehensively on the big stage is strange to me. When was the last time our team was in awe of the opposition and got walloped under Scott's tenure?
If Hawthorn couldn't smack us when they were at the very peak of their powers last year (while we were flat and missing blokes), it ain't happening this year after the experience gained to many in our squad in 2014.

Im a child of the 80's.....

Fremantle 7.9.51
Geelong 0.3.3

and Geelong had the game on their terms in the last 15 minutes of the match, 17 points down and then Pavlich kicked the steadier which effectively sealed our fate. He misses that goal and we were challenging. It wasn't like the 2010 preliminary final where Collingwood seized any momentum we could muster.
11.11.76 to 7.3.45 (22 scoring to 10) from that moment onwards suggests a fair shift in dominance.

Last edited:
I've noticed that for most games this year, particuarly of late, the 'story' of the game has centred around the opposition. The only time recently where I think the story was more about Geelong than the opposition was against North Melbourne where our speed and run and returning players were the main topics of conversation.

Most of the rest of the time, it's been more about the other team in a good or bad way. And the passing comment about Geelong has been how we aren't playing well but are winning. That we let teams back in games which is bad, and we appear to be clutch which is good. And those comments have been on repeat all year because let's face it, that has described the majority of matches. It's not a lament or a sook just the way it's panned out.

If Geelong put up dazzling performances against tops teams (and to be honest any teams) I suspect we would be highlighted and raved about.

I do agree there seems to be a funny 'left-over from the glory days' or 'bad habit to break' tendency for commentators to spend a lot of time focusing on what the opposition have to do to win (like they did when we were the unbeatables) or what they are doing well, rather than seeing many games as a closer contest (which they are these days).

I know we are second on the ladder and have been for a long time but that attitude shouldn't be as strong as it is considering many of them tip against the Cats or talk about the match being close beforehand!

Dennis Commetti made a comment on Friday night about people judging Geelong on what they were rather than what they are.

I can't remember the last time a second placed team went so under the radar. It could be great for us. Hope it continues for another few weeks.

But ALWAYS the other ridiculous decisions that have as much impact on the game overall are whitewashed. E.g free against Duncan to Casboult on the wing for blocking his run, when in fact Mitch was backing back to attempt to mark and C cannoned into his back. And the soft frees that resulted in goals to Carlton and etc etc.

You cannot take one poor decision in isolation in the context of 120 minutes of footy that includes probably a dozen more howlers both ways. But it fuels the tribalism, sells papers and gives tossers like MM more excuses, and diverts from why his few successes are a fading memory. He is a pig now, his treatment of journos at the presser on Friday was a disgrace.

As for the haters, it's annoying but I don't care anymore. The numbers stack up.

Guys like Selwood wouldn't be so admired and wanted by other coaches and players if he was a cheat. (Thomas/Ballantyne/Crawley anyone?). And if the umps are deliberately favouring Geelong (pfft BTW) how is that our fault ffs?

It's always the drugs, the ducks, the soft free kicks, the bias, the draw, the home ground..... something. Maybe it's the vibe? They simply cannot cop that we are up there again. It sickens them, it sparks their frustration into hate.

Meh, suck it up. How about you try to learn from it.

Fremantle 7.9.51
Geelong 0.3.3
Sorry, but I was at our last 2 finals against Fremantle... Both of which our side was significantly worse than what it could be for the upcoming finals series (touchwood).

atm I'm firmly with Bobby_ on this, and that will remain the case until we get walloped in a final with the available 2014 team, and that is a big if.

Quite simply, we beat Hawthorn week 1 (likely opponent, but not guaranteed) and from there I'm confident we won't be 'walloped' in the finals. That will only possibly happen interstate imo.

All this doesn't mean I think we are monty's for the premiership, just that only chance we have imo of being walloped is in a final at Subi or in Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back