Does Sewell come back in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course he does. In the big games you need experienced heads and experienced bodies and that is what Sewelly offers

I've got this really crazy idea. It might shock the football and selection world. You might want to sit down for this one.

Why not base his inclusion on "form"? If he has the form at Box Hill to push out one of the current 22, then he comes into the team. If he doesn't, then he doesn't.

Phew. Deep breaths everybody.

Tough decisions for selectors!

Langford seems to be doing a good job, so I suspect Sewell is going to stay sidelined for a while. If Langford has a howler, Sewell will be called back.

All this talk of Sewell possibly being squeezed out is based on the assumption of him dropping off due to age. Surely judgement needs to be based on reality not this assumption of him suddenly not being able to play. He was an important player last year, and has had a good pre-season, and looked in ripping shape before doing his hammy. I'd say he'll be an important player as he's been every year till I've seen anything to suggest otherwise.

It wouldn't surprise me, to the disappointment of some, if Sewell improves on last years output, rather than dropping off.

All this talk of Sewell possibly being squeezed out is based on the assumption of him dropping off due to age. Surely judgement needs to be based on reality not this assumption of him suddenly not being able to play. He was an important player last year, and has had a good pre-season, and looked in ripping shape before doing his hammy. I'd say he'll be an important player as he's been every year till I've seen anything to suggest otherwise.

It wouldn't surprise me, to the disappointment of some, if Sewell improves on last years output, rather than dropping off.
Well it isn't that much of an assumption. Beginning of 2012 he looked like the game was passing him by before lifting his output greatly. Started 2013 in the same way as 2012 and never got anywhere near the heights of 2012. Hasn't fired a shot this year. I reckon he has leg problems. He seems to struggle to pick up the ball on the move and if you watch his effort to defend varcoe in the dying seconds of the Prelim, it is pretty clear he has lost agility. Can still stand up in tackles but can't shimmy out of them like he used to. I think he will be there abouts the team but unlike last year he will have to be on top of his game to squeeze out others come finals time. Was poor in the finals last year over all although he certainly did contribute, just not as much as you would expect from a key ball winner who doesn't get tagged.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

f you watch his effort to defend varcoe in the dying seconds of the Prelim, it is pretty clear he has lost agility.

Seems a but rough to be critical about someone's agility in the very last minute of a crushing preliminary final.
Maybe any other player would have been 10m off Varcoe and he kicks the goal to tie it. Sliding doors.

No doubt the club will wait until he is fit and then decisions will be based on form. They will of course have an eye on the future but also about winning games now. I wouldn't be writing Sewell off though.

Seems a but rough to be critical about someone's agility in the very last minute of a crushing preliminary final.
Maybe any other player would have been 10m off Varcoe and he kicks the goal to tie it. Sliding doors.

No doubt the club will wait until he is fit and then decisions will be based on form. They will of course have an eye on the future but also about winning games now. I wouldn't be writing Sewell off though.
That is not the only example. He seems to really struggle to turn. It is just one that stood out in my head. I call it as I see it.

13 touches in the grand final which was highly contested is a very disappointing output from a guy who runs around without an opponent. Likewise, his 16 touches in the prelim wasn't good either. Made a few big tackles in the grand final which is great but given he doesn't tag and his contest possessions and clearances were down about 50% from 2012 to 2013, I think it is pretty legitimate to question his worth to the team going forward especially given the emergence of Langford who can tag and can play other positions. Sewell is too poor a kick and slow to be an outside player so if he isn't tearing it up on the inside I don't see a place for him. If he comes back in good form that should be rewarded of course but we don't need to carry him in the ones this year as our depth has improved.

Well it isn't that much of an assumption. Beginning of 2012 he looked like the game was passing him by before lifting his output greatly. Started 2013 in the same way as 2012 and never got anywhere near the heights of 2012. Hasn't fired a shot this year. I reckon he has leg problems. He seems to struggle to pick up the ball on the move and if you watch his effort to defend varcoe in the dying seconds of the Prelim, it is pretty clear he has lost agility. Can still stand up in tackles but can't shimmy out of them like he used to. I think he will be there abouts the team but unlike last year he will have to be on top of his game to squeeze out others come finals time. Was poor in the finals last year over all although he certainly did contribute, just not as much as you would expect from a key ball winner who doesn't get tagged.

You're marking him harshly, but I understand your views.

My main point is we at least need to see him this year before saying he's dropped off, as I think there is a good chance he'll actually improve a bit from last year despite his age. Some seem to be almost willing for him to drop off, and I think that affects the perception some have of him, in that they notice his negatives more than what he can still do. I would have felt uncomfortable him not being available for selection last September, and I feel the same this year. Still a very important member of our squad, and I still have him in best 22 until I see otherwise.

Anderson and Langford no doubt will put a heap of pressure on our squad, and IMO both should be selected above Simpkin this year. Whether they can get to Sewell's level, of what I think Sewell can contribute still, I'm not convinced yet. But I would agree our squad would be better if these two young dudes do over-take Sewell, because if that happens it would would be more due to the massive improvement of those two players, than Sewell dropping below AFL standard.

You're marking him harshly, but I understand your views.

My main point is we at least need to see him this year before saying he's dropped off, as I think there is a good chance he'll actually improve a bit from last year despite his age. Some seem to be almost willing for him to drop off, and I think that affects the perception some have of him, in that they notice his negatives more than what he can still do. I would have felt uncomfortable him not being available for selection last September, and I feel the same this year. Still a very important member of our squad, and I still have him in best 22 until I see otherwise.

Anderson and Langford no doubt will put a heap of pressure on our squad, and IMO both should be selected above Simpkin this year. Whether they can get to Sewell's level, of what I think Sewell can contribute still, I'm not convinced yet. But I would agree our squad would be better if these two young dudes do over-take Sewell, because if that happens it would would be more due to the massive improvement of those two players, than Sewell dropping below AFL standard.
Yeah, absolutely, if he does come out back to his best then it is only a good thing for the hawks. Much better to have our kind of selection issues rather than those at Carltank :thumbsu:

Will be given every opportunity to re-stake his claim for a spot in the team. At the very least we know he'll give that his all and by extension ensure that all the young blokes that are competing for that spot are earning it.

Will not be surprised to see him force his way back into the team around round 20 and hold it all the way through from there. He knows how to get things done when the heat is on.

I've got this really crazy idea. It might shock the football and selection world. You might want to sit down for this one.

Why not base his inclusion on "form"? If he has the form at Box Hill to push out one of the current 22, then he comes into the team. If he doesn't, then he doesn't.

Phew. Deep breaths everybody.

Oh my god that is amazing....

I think you've got it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back