? Does the predictable ball up create congested play

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The ball up and manufactured "good" bounce simply lends itself to set plays and defensive tactics. How easy is it for a team just to close it in when you can predict the movement of the ball. IMO there is no compulsion whatsoever for the umpire to perfect a "good" bounce. Just let the ball hit the deck, players need to spread and anticipate...the game opens up and you've got footy how it should be played....not the rolling maul.

Interesting. I think the directive to have fewer stoppages is they key issue, umpires wait to long to call for a bull up.

If we tolerated a bit more randomness at ball ups then it might clear it up, but not sure; modern coaches loathe situations they cannot control and tend to deal with them in the most defensive way possible

Interesting. I think the directive to have fewer stoppages is they key issue, umpires wait to long to call for a bull up.

If we tolerated a bit more randomness at ball ups then it might clear it up, but not sure; modern coaches loathe situations they cannot control and tend to deal with them in the most defensive way possible

Yeh, i think its absolutely valid to tolerate randomness of the bounce.....its inherent to the game. The ball bounces frequently and randomly throughout a match. The bounce by the umpire is simply a continuation of the game. In fact the bounce of the ball cannot be manipulated by the umpire....therefore its absolutely fair. A ball up can literally always favour the player who can jump the highest....the random bounce gives all players equal opportunity. This is not about tradition or retaining a characteristic of the game just for the sake of it ...its about giving all players a chance and reducing umpire bias. The game starts when the ball hits the ground...not from a point in the air controlled in part by by the umpire.

This is a really interesting point. I'm not sure if it was changed to make it 'fairer' or quicker. I think throwing it up is easier - less set-up by the umpire - plus they can have their head up at the contest and officiate more quickly. But having the ball go in a different direction than expected might well open up play.

It doesn't help that the umpires have to ask the teams to nominate who is the ruckman, and then ask those players to kindly separate by 1m (read 30cm).

Just throw it up and move on.

It doesn't help that the umpires have to ask the teams to nominate who is the ruckman, and then ask those players to kindly separate by 1m (read 30cm).

Just throw it up and move on.

even better bounce it....and force the players to either spread or just play man on man

Last edited:
Yes 100 per cent. Ruckman have never been more important. As a team thats struggled without having a good one id be happy to have more bouncing of the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back