• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
20 March - Geelong v Adelaide @ Simonds Stadium
Crowd: 23,622 (70% full|33,500 capacity)

27 March - Richmond v Carlton @ MCG
Crowd: 62,037 (62% full|100,024 capacity)

17 April - Brisbane v Richmond @ The Gabba
Crowd: 20,676 (49% full|42,000 capacity)

15 May - Adelaide v Collingwood @ Adelaide Oval
Crowd: 50,051 (93% full|53,583 capacity)

29 May - Sydney v Geelong @ SCG
Crowd: 37,355 (77% full|48,000 capacity)

31 July - Fremantle v Carlton @ Patersons Stadium
Crowd: 35,401 (81% full|43,500 capacity)

They are sharing it around so that every city in Australia with an AFL team (outside of the Gold Coast) is getting a taste of Thursday night football in 2014. So, have we seen enough to decide whether Thursday night football works?

Last edited:
I believe the Richmond v Carlton crowd suffered due to the drawn out start to the year. And I'm a bit surprised the Geelong crowd wasn't bigger.

But overall I think it works. Most people are coming towards the end of their week and can tolerate a night out on a Thursday.

It certainly makes more sense than Monday night. I think the Carl v Richmond game at the start of the year, Easter Thursday game plus any other public holiday games that fall on Thursday and a few other random ones through the year is a good mix. The 6 in a year sounds about right to me.

It worked for Adelaide but sustained success I don't think it will work. Adelaide will get a lot of them next year because of last round but after a few years of them I think people will start getting sick of them and the novelty will have worn off. Not good for the 5-10 year olds that have school the next day.

1000% better than Thursday night and Sunday twilight football.
You mean Monday night?

It worked for Adelaide but sustained success I don't think it will work. Adelaide will get a lot of them next year because of last round but after a few years of them I think people will start getting sick of them and the novelty will have worn off. Not good for the 5-10 year olds that have school the next day.
I think the idea is to eventually give every club one Thursday night game each year and to not play on Thursday in bye/split rounds.

Should maybe have about 10/11 Thursday Night games a year. We have about 7 this year.

Meh, one day of school out of a couple of hundred will be affected, the atmosphere is incredible

Only if they make all the clubs release their teams on Wednesday, I've cut it fine with my tipping this year too many times waiting for team sheets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe the Richmond v Carlton crowd suffered due to the drawn out start to the year. And I'm a bit surprised the Geelong crowd wasn't bigger.

But overall I think it works. Most people are coming towards the end of their week and can tolerate a night out on a Thursday.

It certainly makes more sense than Monday night. I think the Carl v Richmond game at the start of the year, Easter Thursday game plus any other public holiday games that fall on Thursday and a few other random ones through the year is a good mix. The 6 in a year sounds about right to me.
Extremely hard to be in your seats in Geelong by 7:10PM on a Thursday night if you work until 5PM anywhere east of the Melbourne CBD or in much of the western district (area with a high Geelong supporter rate).

Or if you have kids.

Might work in other states(and as a spectator watching on TV I prefer it to monday night ), but as long as the WA teams continue to get 5.40pm or at the latest 6.40pm starts, it's inconvenient for us as people will struggle to make it to the game from work on time. It's worse on a Thursday than a Friday as leaving work early on a Thursday is much less common.
Eg 2012 we had a game against Carlton which started at 5.40pm on a thursday night. Unsurprisingly it was a lower than average crowd .

Even last year when we played Essendon in Pattersons, it was a decent crowd but with only a slightly later (6.10pm), it was still a subpcar crowd of 36k . Given the opposition and our respective ladder positions at the time, it would have drawn a better crowd if the starting time was later, or if it was on a friday eve or the weekend

Last edited:
Would like 7-8 games a season

Great for opening round and Good Friday

Wth Adelaide being such a success, why not just roll with it and have Adelaide v Pies every year Thursday night in Adelaide, make it a small event like Carlton Richmond. We know the crows fans will get behind it after the good win

Give Port a game against whoever is a good match

Then sprinkle a few here and there, another 3-4 in Melbourne today

It will work if the Friday is a public holiday.
or we could just have 4 day working weeks and friday is a weekend anyway.

25212926.jpg

Back