Does West Coast have the worst midfield in the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
Priddis is a good clearance machine and is a good player but has a woeful kick. Shuey is great when he is on but that is only 1 in every 3-4 weeks. Masten is a complete front runner. Gaff is good but not great just an honest fairly consistent uncontested ball winner and selwood had star potential but just looks s**t when they keep switching him between being a tagger and being a regular ball winning mid.

discuss..

Easily the worst midfield in the league. With nothing of note coming through.

Led by a Plodding Butcher of the ball, Priddis, the worst midfielder our club has the displeasure of gifting > 150 games to.

But on here he is revered by some, for getting possessions. It's just that he does SFA with the ball.

Priddis, Shuey, Selwood, Gaff, Masten, Rosa, Wellingham all 7 of those can play. Plus Sheed, Hutchings, few others.

Hard to say where that lot ranks exactly but they are definitely bottom 4-6 but that first 7 can play and they have a mix of inside and outside players and good defensive work rate.

The problem is Shuey is the most dangerous and routinely gets tagged out of games and there isn't really anyone else to worry about. Even Melbourne if it's not Jones then Vince can cause problems and sometimes Dom Tyson when he's on. Same with St Kilda if Jack Steven was fit he'd draw a lot of attention but if not him then Montagna is still handy.

It's a bit surprising they've managed to find a decent group of vanilla players without one stepping up to that next level.

Our midfield is worse this year than last year - with the same players. Can only put it down to a rookie headcoach and rookie midfield coach finding their way. Will they improve? Only time will tell.

Easily the worst midfield in the league. With nothing of note coming through.

Led by a Plodding Butcher of the ball, Priddis, the worst midfielder our club has the displeasure of gifting > 150 games to.

But on here he is revered by some, for getting possessions. It's just that he does SFA with the ball.
I know you have to play to your strengths, but considering the season is over why doesn't Priddis move to half forward or wing for parts of games. It was annoying me so it must kill you to see Nic Nat win beautiful clean hit outs straight to Priddis who helicopters it. If he's out of the way then maybe Shuey, Gaff or Masten can get the ball served to them on a platter and use it well.

When Melbourne had Jamar-Moloney the same thing happened. Very good ruckman, hits it to his favourite clearance mid who just dumps it on the boot. One good think Mark Neeld did was get Moloney out of the way and let Nath Jones get some of that ruck service and very quickly he showed he was far superior to Moloney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know you have to play to your strengths, but considering the season is over why doesn't Priddis move to half forward or wing for parts of games. It was annoying me so it must kill you to see Nic Nat win beautiful clean hit outs straight to Priddis who helicopters it. If he's out of the way then maybe Shuey, Gaff or Masten can get the ball served to them on a platter and use it well.

When Melbourne had Jamar-Moloney the same thing happened. Very good ruckman, hits it to his favourite clearance mid who just dumps it on the boot. One good think Mark Neeld did was get Moloney out of the way and let Nath Jones get some of that ruck service and very quickly he showed he was far superior to Moloney.
He's a joke of a player.

The opposition runs off him at will because he's a slow plodding turkey. he can only play 2 x positions. Starting mid or the bench.

Shifting him anywhere else and he becomes an even bigger liability.

He's a joke of a player.

The opposition runs off him at will because he's a slow plodding turkey. he can only play 2 x positions. Starting mid or the bench.

Shifting him anywhere else and he becomes an even bigger liability.
He can find the footy and he has a crack, so he'd be no worse than what you've got at half forward (Ash Smith pls) or even half back or wing.

Just think he'd benefit from the run in a different position and it would let the other mids get more exposure. And Priddis needs the classier players to get better to help him. He'd be fine if he could be Luke Ball at Coll in their successful years and have Pendles, Swan, Beams etc around him. Priddis often wins a clearance, looks for a handball, has no options so floats it forward.

It's down there.

WTF has happened to Shuey and Selwood since 2012? Gaff hasn't kicked on either.

Injured. Injured. Learning to cope with a tag.

I back them to improve - if they can deal with those three aforementioned issues.

This is a fairly accurate summation of things. The main problem is I can't think of one player who would do a better job that Priddis in the guts, at least on a consistent basis. Perhaps Sheed, but he's still very young and raw. Some suggest Hutchings perhaps, but I don't see anything special in him. We have really missed Daniel Kerr.

Shuey and Gaff have real potential but have been huge dissappointments this year as 2012 they were so good. Need to draft an A grader, too many B graders like Priddis, Masten etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back