News Dogs throw pigeon among the Cats with Tom Boyd

Remove this Banner Ad

You would hope that Hawkins remembers the opportunities the club gave him, persisting in all those games he didnt deserve but they kept playing him to teach and learn....

How to be a ruckman?

Let's not kid ourselves re the opportunities part. If he wasn't f/s there's no way known he'd have still be available when Geelong had their first pick. He's a bonus. If Geelong were forced to use their first pick with him, they'd either have passed on him in preference to Selwood or they'd have taken him and missed Selwood.

We're going to get this with every good player who is uncontracted and eligible for FA for every club now. It's going to become so very tiresome hearing about which players haven't signed and which ones are moving and where.

Landscape of the AFL going forward. Its what the players and the AFLPA wanted. Pressure, undue or otherwise, will be on the clubs to get them signed ASAP often now well before the contact they are on expires.
Its going to take several big stars to "hold out" and then re-sign with their current contracted club to remove the hype of the unsigned but contracted player as currently an non re-signed player immediately leads to conjecture of them leaving.That said Hawk, sign the deal. :D

Go Catters

Freo will offer him a 5 year deal at 1 million per year.

Brisbane will chase him too I suspect, although they would probably be under salary cap pressure with their gun midfielders seeking pay rises when their respective contracts expire. Plenty of clubs will be after him (except the Bulldogs and Sydney lol).

Anyhow, whatever it takes, Geelong will pay. There really is zero doubt about this. We have the cap space, and we simply can't let him go elsewhere. In fact, we would certainly delist Enright, Kelly, MacIntosh, Bartel and co if it meant freeing up space for Hawkins.

Yeah, with a bunch of snr players expected to be retiring at the end of next year, I can't see the salary cap being a problem. That said, geelong still needs to be where Hawk wants to play for the rest of his career. Important that we continue to play finals whilst still developing the next generation, otherwise we'll have no hope of landing danger, or other free agents. When's Selwood out of contract?

Negotiations are looking like starting shortly
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...om-boyd-contract/story-fni5f6yf-1227128785830

Hawkins will sit down with the Cats in coming weeks to ramp up negotiations after preliminary talks on a new deal.

The three-time premiership star (that's two time premiership player Ralphy) is one of the biggest names to become a free agent next year.

His future at the club seems in little doubt but the price for the Cats to secure him on a long-term deal is an extremely complicated issue.

Luv the thought of it getting put to bed early which is good for everyone. Hawk gets stability and a pay rise for his future and we get him signed for under market value without the froth of the market bidders.

And then we also know exactly what the $ is for Danger and the rest of the brigade to be re-signed.

Go Catters

I just don't see the dogs being a club capable of showing the patience required to let this kid develop into what he can be. Hard enough to have patience when there is expectation based on ability, but when you add a million dollars a year this is going to be some test for the club.

Boyd will have one of the best young midfields feeding him so at least they have done that much for the boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't see the dogs being a club capable of showing the patience required to let this kid develop into what he can be. Hard enough to have patience when there is expectation based on ability, but when you add a million dollars a year this is going to be some test for the club.

Boyd will have one of the best young midfields feeding him so at least they have done that much for the boy.
Know what you mean, specially with Macca gone. But with that investment, they simply cannot waste it. He's only on 200k next year and needs to play every single game get as much experience into him as possible. With stringer and crameri both playing as 3rd tall types, he shoul hopefully own the goalsqaure like hawk does. But I read somewhere they want him to slim down a bit, and build a real solid tank, so we may see him moving around a bit. The dogs are gonna lose a lot of games next year and hopefully build a bit more for 2016 onwards, so no harm in experimenting abit with his role in 2015. Problem is of course, he'll still get monstered by the great fullbacks. Lonners and co should have him easy. He'll need to learn to lead accurately. Play him like roo/richo for a couple, then when he fills out like our man Hawkins has, he should be killing it. Great future ahead for both him and all the young doggies

Hawkins has 5 years of gun football ahead. Would give him a million easy if that's what he demanded. Think about 750,000 would do it though.

Should be offered same as Selwood. I think Selwood's salary should act as a quasi cap on all players salaries, whether we re-sign them or bring them in from outside.

Selwood and Hawkins are worth the same and we could not bring in a more valuable player from outside. I'd say around 800 is what they should earn.

It has just occured to me with this thread's title (Presumably stolen from a Journalists article) That throwing pigeons amongst cats would not be a very good way of upsetting cats, I might argue that most cats would enjoy the sport of killing it.

Did the Journalist mean to imply that we are laughing at the bulldogs? or was it meant the way everyone has taken it.

I thought Chapman and Ablett were our most dinky die cats players.
Two different cases. Ablett was always going to chase the money. Loyalty isn't in his vocabulary. Chappy was in many ways shown the door.

Hawk is a 100% fair dinkum Cat. He'll get around the $800 grand mark p.a and stick fat. Successful clubs like us and the Hawks operate that way to ensure sustained success ie players accepting unders.

Two different cases. Ablett was always going to chase the money. Loyalty isn't in his vocabulary. Chappy was in many ways shown the door.

Hawk is a 100% fair dinkum Cat. He'll get around the $800 grand mark p.a and stick fat. Successful clubs like us and the Hawks operate that way to ensure sustained success ie players accepting unders.
oh god not again!

Some soothing words from B.Cook:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...rick-dangerfield/story-e6frf3e3-1227143757267

Cook is confident Hawkins will stay, with the star power forward believed to be looking at a deal of five years and around $700,000 a season.

“It will work itself out. He will be well paid. He won’t be the highest-paid in terms of the AFL but it will be a very lucrative contract for him and his player manager will make sure that happens.

“He has been great for us and we will do everything we can to accommodate what’s best for him and the footy club. That is all I can say on that one.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...rick-dangerfield/story-e6frf3e3-1227143757267

Remove this Banner Ad

Back