Dom Barry heads home

Remove this Banner Ad

Good luck to the young kid.

First Class effort to tell us pre draft.

Maybe that's why Paul Roos mentioned pick 40 the other day in an interview despite the fact that it looked like we only had 2 slots open in the draft.
I assumed thats this may be why Roos mentioned that we'd be using 40 despite not have room for the pick.

Makes sense but perhaps gave him time to consider his future.

I know how he came to us (Hogan deal) and clearly he was the part that was a wasted exercise and ultimately a poor choice.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to post, other than you've got diarrhea.
Because he wasn't drafted? Saying that he was just another 'uninspiring draft selection' is incorrect. We didn't give anything up for him or take him before anyone else. He was the steak knives that GWS already had and didn't need, and the deal probably would have happened even without him in it. You can either admit that you were wrong or resort to petty insults to try and repair your reputation, and it's obvious which one you've chosen.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Because he wasn't drafted? Saying that he was just another 'uninspiring draft selection' is incorrect. We didn't give anything up for him or take him before anyone else. He was the steak knives that GWS already had and didn't need, and the deal probably would have happened even without him in it. You can either admit that you were wrong or resort to petty insults to try and repair your reputation, and it's obvious which one you've chosen.

He was part of the negotiation to get Hogan and drop down from 13 to 20. Clearly he was the dud part and just as clearly he didn't have to be involved. Choices were made and they've proven to be poor. Yet you say the deal "probably" would have happened anyway.

I'm sure the deal would have happened too, but I'm not privy to what choices we may have been able to negotiate if we didn't want Barry. Are you ?

He was part of the negotiation to get Hogan and drop down from 13 to 20. Clearly he was the dud part and just as clearly he didn't have to be involved. Choices were made and they've proven to be poor. Yet you say the deal "probably" would have happened anyway.

I'm sure the deal would have happened too, but I'm not privy to what choices we may have been able to negotiate if we didn't want Barry. Are you ?
No. But he still wasn't a draft selection. It's all well and good to say that it was a poor choice in hindsight but unlike with a draft pick you can't say that we had complete control to pick anyone else that we wanted. It's more than likely that Barry was the best or only choice offered, and we had no idea that he was going to throw the towel in. Moved to Ballarat when he was 14 or whatever to play tennis. I'm sure the recruiters figured that he was very committed.

To say that he was an 'uninspiring draft selection' implies that he was just another Strauss or Gysberts or Maric who we chose when we could have picked a Shuey or Talia without anyone else being able to stop us, when he really wasn't. We made our choices based on an extremely unique situation with the NT zoning and mini-draft concessions offered to GWS. I'm pretty happy with Hogan and P20/Dawes for P3 and P13, so I'm not going to get too hung up on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

did anyone read the last bit of Melbourne's statement? where we are making a submission to the AFL that if Dom decides to rekindle playing AFL he can pretty much resume his career with Melbourne. I've never heard of anything like this done before in the AFL, so forgive me if there has been similar scenarios.

Anyway as interesting as it is i doubt that he would resume his career anyway

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
No loss, i'm hoping he is the last of un-competitive pea hearts we have on our list. I'd rather keep mckenzie, evans or get Tapscott back on our list (rookie or primary list, i dont care) as these guys will have a crack at least.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
did anyone read the last bit of Melbourne's statement? where we are making a submission to the AFL that if Dom decides to rekindle playing AFL he can pretty much resume his career with Melbourne.

The test run with Clark didn't go according to plan.

He wouldn't have been in anyone's best 22. He's definitely soft and can't get his hands on it.

Whether he stayed, or went, he's just another uninspiring draft selection.

He was a trade (technically)!

We can't blame BP for this one mate.

Do agree it was a baffling choice to go after Barry when we could probably have landed Jed Anderson in a similar deal with Hogan, who is hard as a cats head.

Back