dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
Let me first up acknowledge that it is very early days. I'm not necessarily concerned about his disposal count nor am I expecting him to excel in our depleted and already weak midfield.

But for me the concerning aspect having seen him play this year - soft.

He hesitates at almost every contest. His tackling leaves more than a bit to be desired. His chasing tonight was often, frankly, half arsed. What's going on? Having watched him play at U/18 level last year I didn't see this in his game at all. I haven't watched him at East Perth this year.

He finishes a full game tonight with 7 possessions. I reckon he could have doubled that tonight if he had hit the contests with any real enthusiasm. I don't mean this as a post-game emotional rant - I feel like it's a valid point. Frankly, Gaff goes alot harder than Sheed and is certainly no bigger. Another thing I've noticed is that he was flat footed every single stoppage.

It's a concern from me because in my view there's not alot to his game other than what others have described as 'football smarts'.

If he's one paced, not versatile, soft and only a reasonable kick of the football at best (IMO) - what is the appeal? Rather than writing him off I'd like to think someone can compel me to change my mind but I can't help but feel we've just added more of what we've already got...

Needs to develop more to his game. He's slow to react when he doesn't have the ball at his feet and needs to improve the way he transitions to outside play.

Actually seems to have gone a little backwards in some respects, running game should see him get out in front more but he hasn't done that as much as the seasons gone on at either level.

For his inside game to stack up he needs to add strength, but he's got other aspects that need improving. At the moment my hope is he can emulate Lewis, but we'll have to wait and see.

There are ******* huge question marks over the player development at our club.

Playing every young player as a sub for a few games or thrown into unfamiliar positions due to "stalwarts".

We are struggling in this regard and Sheed looks like another product of it. I don't think there is anything wrong with him as such. he is a young talented footballer but he looks lost on the field and hesitates to get involved. How many our young players could you apply that to over the last few years?

Like I've been saying since last year...

He simply does not have the attributes to become anything other then a B grade (at best) addition to our midfield.

Every muppet on here got WAY too excited when we drafted him with essentially pick 6.

He does not Shred, stop calling him that immediately.

The knock on him was his lack of standout qualities. I struggle to see this changing.

Which was my concern after watching him at Subi. End of a game he'd have good to very good stats and you didn't notice him ...

I saw a couple of nice creative handballs v Brisbane which was encouraging but tonight nothing at all. And he runs like a geriatric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get where the OP is coming from but tonight really wasn't a game you could judge a rookie. Conditions were terrible and we played rubbish.

It's a concern when a kid looks slow. Footballers rarely gain speed.

Agree ......please change rarely to never

Never seen slow player become fast ......except for a few Essendon ones......LOL"....JUST JOKES

RARELY IS NEVER

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get where the OP is coming from but tonight really wasn't a game you could judge a rookie. Conditions were terrible and we played rubbish.

I think he's referring more to effort rather then the skills he displayed.

A rookie yes, but a first round rookie. There is a reason (one I personally cannot see) why the club invested pick 6 in obtaining Sheed. First rounders you'd think should be able to come in and have a reasonable impact at AFL level, not including rucks and KP players of course.

Which was my concern after watching him at Subi. End of a game he'd have good to very good stats and you didn't notice him ...

I saw a couple of nice creative handballs v Brisbane which was encouraging but tonight nothing at all. And he runs like a geriatric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So he fits right into our midfield then. He will play 150+ games for us and win a B&F.

Not a good example

Ok so he went from really really slow (like just faster than garden gnome) to slowish........

That's hardly from slow to fast
Look at his highlights video. He burns of Taghjgh Kennelly.

I understand where some of the opinions above are coming from, but we need to cut the young guy some slack.. it was his third (?) full game of AFL. Not everyone is a Judd that comes in straight away and dominates. He needs to learn and grow into his role in the team. It was a learning experience tonight, and he will be better for it. Give him a chance, and he will show that he is more than capable at AFL level.

I understand where some of the opinions above are coming from, but we need to cut the young guy some slack.. it was his third (?) full game of AFL. Not everyone is a Judd that comes in straight away and dominates. He needs to learn and grow into his role in the team. It was a learning experience tonight, and he will be better for it. Give him a chance, and he will show that he is more than capable at AFL level.

I'm all for giving him a chance, I don't want him dropped or anything.

And he'll improve no doubt. I just don't see him improving into anything particularly special. Or worthy of a no 6 pick.

I hope he doesn't end his career being refered to as "capable".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back