Society/Culture Domestic Violence

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK leave aside any mention of anyone else, why do you think there has been no media discussion about the Cairns stabber since January?

Should there have been? If so, why?

Has she been sentenced?

Are there cultural factors in play?

Have you considered the impact that this has had on a community the size of Cairns?

Are we inundated with media coverage about the murder of Stephanie Scott for example?

I get the feeling that many, many people have got the hump because Mrs. Batty has the backbone to speak openly, frankly and in a manner which gets some mens' backs up. Thus the need for whining and point scoring.

Just like Adam Goodes.

Has she been sentenced?

Have you considered the impact that this has had on a community the size of Cairns?
All good reasons to have some discussion.

Are we inundated with media coverage about the murder of Stephanie Scott for example?
4 or 5 additional articles at various times since her death.

I get the feeling that many, many people have got the hump because Mrs. Batty has the backbone to speak openly, frankly and in a manner which gets some mens' backs up. Thus the need for whining and point scoring.

Just like Adam Goodes.
What 'got my back up' was the PM announcing that DV was only male violence against females. Given that is blatantly untrue and further marginalises an already vulnerable group of victims, I think it's quite reasonable to be unhappy with that. There is no reason to exclude male victims from the discussion, or from accessing services, and completely ignoring the role that females play in DV means we will never get a fully frank discussion and education or get close to eradicating the problem.

A google search yields hundreds of copies of the same articles from the few days after it happened. Nothing that I can see since the funeral in early Jan 2015.
Bollox certainly has a point as there are endless articles about Adrian Bayley etc long after it happened - no conversation at all about this pretty bloody horrific DV crime.
You are a plonker.

Sort by time, there are articles from May for example, discussing the home being demolished. Bollox does not have a point.

He made it seem like there was zero coverage, there was widespread coverage. If the perpatrator had been a different race/religious background, or wealthy, or well known then there would have been even more. Newsrooms are concerned with impact and many editors have outdated views.

Finally, you are comparing apples and oranges, whilst ignoring the key thrust of my point. What on earth does bringing up how a case where a parent murdered children, received less coverage than a prominent women who was the murder victim of a serial rapist, who shouldn't have been out in the community have to do with the issue of male DV. It is not a valid nor sound argument, that can be used to cry foul over people highlighting the prevalence of male violence.

Sort by time, there are articles from May for example, discussing the home being demolished.
Sorry I missed those 2 articles. Otherwise no coverage.
No need for the ad hominems.

He made it seem like there was zero coverage, there was widespread coverage. If the perpatrator had been a different race/religious background, or wealthy, or well known then there would have been even more. Newsrooms are concerned with impact and many editors have outdated views.
You obviously misread Bollox's post. He said:

"What ever happened to the woman who stabbed 8 poor little kids in Cairns ? Seems like there has been a complete media blackout. Even during this years meritorious efforts by Abbott then Turnbull to sponsor DM awareness, we heard absolutely nothing of this incident that happened just 1 yr ago almost to the day (just before xmas)"

Obviously not referring to coverage at the time, but coverage since, especially given there has been lots of discussions about DV in the media and by politicians this year.

Has she been sentenced?

Just like Adam Goodes.
Exactly. Prominence, timliness, impact and relevance are all factors that come into play when addressing newsworthiness.

For example, DV stories will get greater coverage when similar incidents are in the news, or a government initiative is in play. Likewise, factors like religion, so if the family was Islamic, at a time when there was scaremongering over culture clash would see wider coverage.

It seems predatory, but it is the basis for news media maximising readership.

The two circumstances though, are not even comparable and the how they relate to the discussion is unclear.

Sorry I missed those 2 articles. Otherwise no coverage.
No need for the ad hominems.

You obviously misread Bollox's post. He said:

"What ever happened to the woman who stabbed 8 poor little kids in Cairns ? Seems like there has been a complete media blackout. Even during this years meritorious efforts by Abbott then Turnbull to sponsor DM awareness, we heard absolutely nothing of this incident that happened just 1 yr ago almost to the day (just before xmas)"

Obviously not referring to coverage at the time, but coverage since, especially given there has been lots of discussions about DV in the media and by politicians this year.
Well there wasn't a complete media blackout. Secondly, there wasn't an ad hominem attack. My contempt for the poster and the argument being expressed, is independant of my deconstruction of the argument.

A building manager in East Perth has started a name and shame of apartment numbers of domestic violence. Calling the cops has become such a regular occurrence for so many apartments that this measure was introduced.

I don't think it's the solution, but it does bring to the issue to everyone's attention including those directly involved that it is happening and everyone knows who is involved.

All good reasons to have some discussion.

Why?

What more do you need to know to satisfy your bloodlust?

8 kids got butchered by a mother in the midst of an alleged psychotic episode. It's bloody awful, it's tragic and it's deeply painful for the community, who just want it to go away, without ghouls like you fawning over the gory details and having it repeated, ad nauseum, on the media.

4 or 5 additional articles at various times since her death.

Did this gratify your morbid curiosity in some way? Add a bit of spice?

What 'got my back up' was the PM announcing that DV was only male violence against females. Given that is blatantly untrue and further marginalises an already vulnerable group of victims, I think it's quite reasonable to be unhappy with that. There is no reason to exclude male victims from the discussion, or from accessing services, and completely ignoring the role that females play in DV means we will never get a fully frank discussion and education or get close to eradicating the problem

You poor, hard done by bastard.

Stand up for the beaten brothers son. Stand shoulder to shoulder with them.

In the meantime, I and many other will support our sisters, as we have seen their pain, suffering and deaths ignored for decade upon decade.

Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate and recognise both sides of DV...but this 'poor bugger men' attitude is as weak as piss.

It really is.

A building manager in East Perth has started a name and shame of apartment numbers of domestic violence. Calling the cops has become such a regular occurrence for so many apartments that this measure was introduced.

I don't think it's the solution, but it does bring to the issue to everyone's attention including those directly involved that it is happening and everyone knows who is involved.
It's a weird one. Will shame work, or will it aggrivate the perps.

I just don't have hope for abusive relationships. Do abusive partners reform?

Why?

What more do you need to know to satisfy your bloodlust?

8 kids got butchered by a mother in the midst of an alleged psychotic episode. It's bloody awful, it's tragic and it's deeply painful for the community, who just want it to go away, without ghouls like you fawning over the gory details and having it repeated, ad nauseum, on the media.
Do you consider discussion about DV to be bloodlust?
Strange but not unexpected view to take on it.
"The community want it to go away"

You poor, hard done by bastard.

In the meantime, I and many other will support our sisters, as we have seen their pain, suffering and deaths ignored for decade upon decade.

Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate and recognise both sides of DV...but this 'poor bugger men' attitude is as weak as piss.

It really is.
Why do you consider 'poor bugger men attitude' to be weak as piss?
I care about all DV victims equally, regardless of gender, its a shame the vocal majority do not.
Its funny you mention that the 'sisters' 'pain and suffering and deaths have been ignored' as a reason you support them yet pot me for doing my bit to ensure the 'brothers' are not ignored.

Do you consider discussion about DV to be bloodlust?
I do when I see this case being constantly held up as some form of weird injustice by the media for not having wall to wall coverage of it.

Strange but not unexpected view to take on it.
"The community want it to go away"

Are we still getting 10 page covers of the Paris terrorism incident?

Again, consider the size of Cairns, and then extrapolate the size of the particular community involved and...

oh...now I see why you're so up in arms.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's a colour thang for you, as usual.

Why do you consider 'poor bugger men attitude' to be weak as piss?
I care about all DV victims equally, regardless of gender, its a shame the vocal majority do not.
Its funny you mention that the 'sisters' 'pain and suffering and deaths have been ignored' as a reason you support them yet pot me for doing my bit to ensure the 'brothers' are not ignored.

It's weak as piss because for decades and decades men looked the other way whilst their 'mates' belted the s**t out of their wives and kids.

They still drank piss with them, invited them to bqq's and fishing trips and conveniently accepted 'Joans excuse of walking into a door 3 or 4 times a month.

Doctors shut up about it, teachers looked the other way, religious leaders demanded that nothing be done about it and politicians followed suit.

Now, just when we see some enlightenment and tangible action on the issue, we see a small group of piss weak men crying 'what about me?'

FFS.

Grow a set you campaigners.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Chapter 5 Finding and Recommendations would have a better recommendation, even the graphs and tables.
Strange priorities you have but still proving my point which is good.
Bork is interested in the reporting of statistics re child abuse so Chapter 4 would be of particular interest to him :drunk:

It really is.
Iirc weren't you a victim of DV a few years ago in Vietnam?

Iirc weren't you a victim of DV a few years ago in Vietnam?

Sure was.

Stabbed in the back with a pair of scissors. To be frank, I was more worried about getting stitched up in a regional VN hospital than I was about bleeding to death.

But, the chick had serious psyche issues, which made her a frog in a sock, but also extremely dangerous.

I live on the edge brah.

:(

Sure was.

Stabbed in the back with a pair of scissors. To be frank, I was more worried about getting stitched up in a regional VN hospital than I was about bleeding to death.

But, the chick had serious psyche issues, which made her a frog in a sock, but also extremely dangerous.

I live on the edge brah.

:(
That is what you get for sticking your dick in crazy

Bork is interested in the reporting of statistics re child abuse so Chapter 4 would be of particular interest to him :drunk:
So you were being helpful?

If that were the case wouldn't the graphs and tables would have been a much better recommendation or wouldn't they suit?

I realise the report is up to 2010 but those figures are alarming (NSW).

Rightly or wrongly Batty has brought DV this to the fore and reports like this especially the recommendations will hopefully make us all stand up and say no more.

I do when I see this case being constantly held up as some form of weird injustice by the media for not having wall to wall coverage of it.
What other forums do you read where this case is held up as some weird injustice etc.?
Would love to read them.

Are we still getting 10 page covers of the Paris terrorism incident?
The papers are full of discussion about terrorism and male-on-female DV. Nada about mothers killing their kids.

Again, consider the size of Cairns, and then extrapolate the size of the particular community involved and...

oh...now I see why you're so up in arms.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's a colour thang for you, as usual.
More racist garbage from you.

What other forums do you read where this case is held up as some weird injustice etc.?
Would love to read them.

It's weak as piss because for decades and decades men looked the other way whilst their 'mates' belted the s**t out of their wives and kids.

They still drank piss with them, invited them to bqq's and fishing trips and conveniently accepted 'Joans excuse of walking into a door 3 or 4 times a month.

Doctors shut up about it, teachers looked the other way, religious leaders demanded that nothing be done about it and politicians followed suit.

Now, just when we see some enlightenment and tangible action on the issue, we see a small group of piss weak men crying 'what about me?'

FFS.

Grow a set you campaigners.

What do male victims have to do with unrelated people that 'looked the other way' in the past? Why do you see male victims as 'weak as piss' for simply being born with the same genitals as these unrelated people?
How about you go and tell female victims to "grow a set"?
More sexist garbage from BigFooty's resident dinosaur.

Your comments are a great example of how female victim DV is out in the open, being taken seriously etc. while male victim DV is still in the subject of victim-blaming, 'look the other way' etc. You complain that men never stood up for female victims and confronted and reported the perps yet you are quite happy to look the other way for male victims and call them weak as piss.

I would say no unless they take life training courses and understand why they behave the way the day.

I think this is about shaming them into moving on. Rightly or wrongly the building manager job is about the building's interests (quiet enjoyment for all).

On this very limited snap shot, perhaps domestic violence is a bigger issue for gen X.

Given the right environment and, importantly, the right mindset - absolutely, abusive partners can reform. Not all will - probably most won't - but they can and some do.

I know KFC takes it too far, but is there an issue with identifying both sides of DV?

The piss weak attitude thing (unless i'm reading it wrong) was possibly the stupidest thing i've read. We shouldn't identify all types of DV because men used to turn a blind eye?

Interesting I only know of one person who has been a victim of DV (well one person openly, there could be hidden victims). A bloke from my old footy club, his ex had some serious issues, stabbed him with a fork at a party in front of about 20 people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back