Society/Culture Domestic Violence

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'll leave that for the myriad of paranoid nuffies in here who seem to look for a racial-sexual-gender type angle to everything. With one or two exceptions, there looks to be some seriously phukked up people with issues in here basis the last cpl of pages.

I have no idea what has caused the apparent media avoidance. But it is very very real. Absolutely typical of domestic violence, and why the need for concerted efforts to get these issues in the open.

I suspect it isnt just individual men and women who once treat(ed) DV as something to be hidden under the bed. Seems the media are STILL just as guilty as the public of hushing it up.

8 beautiful innocent children. After maybe 1-2 weeks it was hardly newsworthy. Perhaps deliberately ignored by the media ? For whatever reason they conveniently stashed domestic violence away under the bed. Exactly what we are told NOT to do.

Seems the local Cairns news even struggle with domestic voiolence. Despite thousands of journo's around the country...not a single one outside Cairns even finds it even remotely relevant in a year which has a victim as Aust of the yr....and a year where we are told to get the issue out into the open and discuss it.

This is about all i can find after a quick search over the last 6 months, and its only in Cairns local rag. Demolishing a house 6 mths ago wasnt exactly news.
http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/c...-tragically-lost/story-fnjpusyw-1227616014461
If you can find anything else about it then good luck. Apparently she was due back in court 2 weeks ago. WTF ? Is it some sort of minor trial for Cairns ? 8 poor children killed and it doesnt rate time ? If some terrorist killed 8 kids in cairns i bet they wouldnt hush up the trial.

Hopefully sometime this week the media might at least acknowledge it even happened....during a year of dv awareness, and after WE were told we shouldnt hush it up or hide it.

Of all the incidents of DV, this one and Luke Batty really upset me.

At the time I thought the lack of media coverage was more to do with cultural, than gender issue. I still think this is the case.

This also happened quite quickly after the Lindt cafe incident. This was a horrific week for Australia.

An update would be good. Those children have not been forgotten.

Perhaps we should consider arresting both sides when ever domestic abuse occurs. In the first incident their may be one victim and one perpetrator. After that, it takes two to tango.

Perhaps community service for 12 hours a day 7 days a week (lees time off for actual work), for a period of time which increases on each incident. At some stage the parties will weigh up the value of the relationship.

Community service could include life skills training etc.
Not sure about 'arresting' but there's merit in not rushing to the conclusion it's always the male who is entirely at fault when there's a dispute.

I am nearly going to meltdown. This obviously looks like an attempted murder suicide from a mentally disturbed person. The comments on this page are mind-numbing.
https://www.facebook.com/7newssydney/
Dawn Robinson This is so so sad
To think the poor mum thought that was her only way out frown emoticon
And the poor little girl i hope she can pull through this and have some form of normal life
And my heart also breaks for the poor train driver whos life will also never be the same again
So tragic all round

72 · 4 hrs
Liz Cusack Wow so many people here are so judgemental. This is why mental illness remains stigmatised. People are ashamed to get help, or most often are turned away due to overwhelming demand.

RIP mother, prayers to the baby and the driver.

10 · 3 hrs
अन्जु कट्टेल पन्त I feel like this incident is related to domestic violence but cannot conclude whats the story behind the sad incident happened today. Hope the girl recovers well and gets back to the family.

2 · 3 hrs
11225721_10153713606291145_4166495660419765356_n.jpg

Victoria Vilches I feel this too. Her only way out for them both was this.

1 hr
Rita Younan Shemon This is so sad god knows only what this poor women was going through to do this. My heart goes out to the child. It's so sad to see women these days can not ask for help when in need and get help. Hope the little angel can pull through

2 · 3 hrs · Edited
Cha You This is horrible. Rest in peace to the mother and I hope the little girl pulls through.

4 hrs
And the same theme repeated on this page.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-fni0cx4q-1227647407631?=#load-story-comments
Ivan7 hours ago

Poor woman, one can only speculate at the anguish in her mind that she'd choose to die that way and take her child with her. That will be with the child all the days of her life if she survives.
The benevolent sexism in this country is disgusting at times. Even if a person was doing it tough they deserve no sympathy when they try and kill an innocent child when they decide their own time is up.

I am nearly going to meltdown. This obviously looks like an attempted murder suicide from a mentally disturbed person. The comments on this page are mind-numbing.
https://www.facebook.com/7newssydney/
And the same theme repeated on this page.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-fni0cx4q-1227647407631?=#load-story-comments

The benevolent sexism in this country is disgusting at times. Even if a person was doing it tough they deserve no sympathy when they try and kill an innocent child when they decide their own time is up.
Firstly, stay away from Facebook, secondly your first sentence where you state: " looks like an attempted murder suicide from a mentally disturbed person", this implies to me that the person has impaired thinking and subsequently is unable is able to differentiate right from wrong.

Where does sexism come into it?

This is very sad for the mother and child and I am not sure trying to score points is the way I would want to discuss it.

Firstly, stay away from Facebook, secondly your first sentence where you state: " looks like an attempted murder suicide from a mentally disturbed person", this implies to me that the person has impaired thinking and subsequently is unable is able to differentiate right from wrong.

Where does sexism come into it?

This is very sad for the mother and child and I am not sure trying to score points is the way I would want to discuss it.

thoughts with the child.. and her family.
There have been reports that suicide is rising among women... without knowing any more about this incident, it is hard to comment other than... this is not the answer.

This obviously looks like an attempted murder suicide from a mentally disturbed person.
You say this, then spew at people in the comments section saying EXACTLY THAT.

You have completely contradicted your own anti-women post WITHIN THE SAME POST.

* Capitalisation added for emphasis.

You say this, then spew at people in the comments section saying EXACTLY THAT.

You have completely contradicted your own anti-women post WITHIN THE SAME POST.

* Capitalisation added for emphasis.
Another pathetic effort. Context was provided in the part of my post you decided to leave out.

Why are you in this thread? All you seem to do is come in and take shots at people who have different views to you.

Chief
You posted this.
Mothers are proportionally LESS LIKELY to be the abuser. By a long shot.

You know this for a fact.
I then asked you to back up your statement. In your reply you tried to deflect by asking me a question rather than backing up your statement.
Are you honestly trying to say women are proportionally over-represented in stats on gender of abusers?
When I asked you to back up your statement again you failed and resorted to deflecting and insults.
Oh good God. Bork has jumped the shark.

If you are going to participate in this thread, perhaps to avoid looking like the biggest hypocrite on bigfooty you would like to back up the emphatic statements you make. Or you can leave with your tail between your legs again and take shots at posters elsewhere on this site.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems that following the ABC show on domestic violence the BBC has also produced a program called 'Love you to death' based on the deaths of 86 women in 2013.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...itish-women-slain-partners-just-one-year.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...ic-Violence-vanessa-engle-BBC-Two-review.html

Interestingly the producer also made the following statement:

"We know of course that there are men who are abused by women and that there are acts of violence too within the LGBT community. All these incidences of violence are devastating for those involved and need to be taken very seriously and understood.

My film is specifically about women killed by their male partner or ex-partner and the reason for this is because of the shocking scale of this particular problem. In 2013, the year featured in the film, 164 women were killed in Britain. 86 of them (52%) were killed by their male partner or ex-partner. In the same year, 381 men were murdered. 12 of them (3%) were killed by their female partner or ex-partner.

I hope these statistics explain why we set the parameters for the film that we did. But I am very aware that there are many other people in different situations who are also experiencing grief and anguish, and who also deserve our sympathy and attention."

It seems that following the ABC show on domestic violence the BBC has also produced a program called 'Love you to death' based on the deaths of 86 women in 2013.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...itish-women-slain-partners-just-one-year.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...ic-Violence-vanessa-engle-BBC-Two-review.html

Interestingly the producer also made the following statement:

"We know of course that there are men who are abused by women and that there are acts of violence too within the LGBT community. All these incidences of violence are devastating for those involved and need to be taken very seriously and understood.

My film is specifically about women killed by their male partner or ex-partner and the reason for this is because of the shocking scale of this particular problem. In 2013, the year featured in the film, 164 women were killed in Britain. 86 of them (52%) were killed by their male partner or ex-partner. In the same year, 381 men were murdered. 12 of them (3%) were killed by their female partner or ex-partner.

I hope these statistics explain why we set the parameters for the film that we did. But I am very aware that there are many other people in different situations who are also experiencing grief and anguish, and who also deserve our sympathy and attention."

I would really struggle to watch something like that. It would anger, frustrate and depress me at the same time.

Another pathetic effort. Context was provided in the part of my post you decided to leave out.
What context? You agree to the obvious: attempted murder-suicide by a mentally ill person.

Then you blast people for offering sympathy and attempting to understand how this person got to this point.

Unless you think having a mental illness is some sort of moral failing?

What context? You agree to the obvious: attempted murder-suicide by a mentally ill person.

Then you blast people for offering sympathy and attempting to understand how this person got to this point.

Unless you think having a mental illness is some sort of moral failing?
You're damn right I blast people for offering sympathy to someone who tried to murder an innocent child. There is the context for you.
Mothers are proportionally LESS LIKELY to be the abuser. By a long shot.

You know this for a fact.
Back up your statement Chief. This is the fifth post you have avoided doing so. Or at least be a big enough poster to retract and admit you made such an emphatic post based on a vibe and ignorance. A vibe and ignorance shared by too many people in Australia.

You're damn right I blast people for offering sympathy to someone who tried to murder an innocent child. There is the context for you.
So mental illness is a moral failing?

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...little-deliberately-drove-off-wharf-with-sons

We really must do something to fund services to stop this from happening.
What drives someone to cause the death of their children and themselves, how is it no-one sees the desperation they must be experiencing?
This is really tragic and heart breaking.
It seems to be more and more common. Or maybe it's just more covered in the media. It makes it difficult when there isn't really a way of understanding the "why", makes it hard to stop it from happening
I still remember where I was when I found out he details of the Chris Benoit incident. Shocking shocking stories

It seems to be more and more common. Or maybe it's just more covered in the media. It makes it difficult when there isn't really a way of understanding the "why", makes it hard to stop it from happening
I still remember where I was when I found out he details of the Chris Benoit incident. Shocking shocking stories

Don't know what state you live in but here in Victoria, (although this government is better in this area) almost every year funding has decreased in the area of mental health and at the beginning of the current federal government they also cut funding.

As long as governments keep cutting, we will never get close to understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back