Multiplat Don Bradman Cricket 14

Remove this Banner Ad

11p8mjR.jpg

wat.

Is Dharmasena the 3rd umpire?

My 360 controller arrived today, so I've just started playing (PC). First impressions are that it's a good looking game with a lot of depth.

I'm still really s**t (all my shots are lofted over mid-on for some reason), so I can't exactly comment on the overall gameplay quality.

A few things that irk me:
Some cutscenes are unskippable. I usually don't last long out in the middle, so it would be nice to be able to skip through all the slow, panoramic shots of the grounds and the commentary introductions so I can quickly have another bat. There should also be an option to skip to the end of the innings generation instead of having to watch all the runs and overs clock up. The game start up takes a while too. Is it necessary to show the Big Ant logo twice?

Gran Turismo 5 gave me the shits with its loading times and this isn't much different (albeit not as extreme). Perhaps I'm just impatient.

I don't understand why all sports games generally want to show me shots of the ground, random logo's etc. Let me turn it off in the settings and jump straight into the game. Couldn't care less about watching cutscenes that try to mimic TV.

I think it's to mimic tv presentation, it can be a bit tedious in games but eh it adds to the atmosphere.

I'm more annoyed at commentary fails like scoring a century on debut............... 12+ times AFTER i had originally done it.
I know it's to mimic TV, but I don't understand why not one game just let's you turn them off.

The panoramic shots of the ground during play are the field being changed aren't they?
I wasn't really being specific to just this game, but (from memory at least) when you first go into a game on DBC it shows panoramic shots of the ground.

Doesnt seem to be

And based on this footage, i'd say its fairly realistic

There is at least some element of picking up the line and length irl. Gilly would look pretty silly if he tried to drive Tait down the ground instead pulling him on that 2nd ball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm fine with it trying to create a TV presentation type setting but I just want to be able to skip it quickly.

I have a feeling that they're strategic presentation elements to disguise loading. Makes sense when you see it panning around the ground after the field is changed (presumably to load the new fielding positions). I'd rather that than a little bar that says "loading...". I think otherwise they'd give the option to turn it off.

Anyone on PS3 want to have a game? My PSN is PTizzleAUS - can't seem to find any games with a decent ping and I want to grab that trophy.

I've cracked the the shits.

The learning curve for batting is too steep. I don't have enough free time to sink 100 hours into this game to get decent.

I mean... I can make some runs every now and then (below)

yLuJNhJ.jpg

but every single time I try to play offside, it's an edge behind. If mid-on is set back on the boundary, I'm screwed because every shot goes in the air. I practice in the nets and everything is along the ground.

I have no idea.

BIG BOY MCEVOY scored a 50 fine example coming from the caulder cannons cricket factory

Er ok that was better in my head than in text form. I think it just takes patience and lots of practice.

That being said i have only played the game a handful of times over the last week, and when i have it wasn't career (5/5 mode and doing a "world cup tournament"). I can't come to grips with the difficulty increase. It gets boring playing the same shot over and over again (the only shot that doesn't make me go out! without nicking it to the keeper, or a nearby fielder catching it if i mistime it).

I miss not scoring double centuries now haha.

I don't understand why all sports games generally want to show me shots of the ground, random logo's etc. Let me turn it off in the settings and jump straight into the game. Couldn't care less about watching cutscenes that try to mimic TV.

BA would have to confirm this, but I suspect that these boundary pans are a loading screen of sorts? Trying to at least give you something pretty to look at instead of a big black screen with "LOADING" written across.

BA would have to confirm this, but I suspect that these boundary pans are a loading screen of sorts? Trying to at least give you something pretty to look at instead of a big black screen with "LOADING" written across.
Don't know why I didn't think of that :drunk:

The "loading times" look like they take they same amount of time between the PS3 version and my PC version running off a SSD with a quad core processor.

Anyway, I've sunk a few more hours in and I'm starting to get the hang of things. I haven't encountered many bugs and the game does feel really polished. :thumbsu:

Played against another person last night for the first time, absolute bloodbath. I played as Ireland, my brother played as Victoria. A three-day encounter, Ireland won the toss and elected to bowl on a soft, grassy strip at The Home of Cricket.

Victoria 86
Ireland 68
Victoria 39
Ireland 4/59

Ireland won by 6 wickets :thumbsu:

The biggest lesson learnt: it's probably safer to constantly leg glance the spinner than it is to defend.

Ladies and gents, my mystery ball!

Hilarious. Did the ball actually behave like that in the game or was it just a hawk eye anomaly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back