News Dons ASADA scandal (Latest: Pg 101 - CAS verdict. Guilty, 12 months.)

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a transcript of Little's meeting with Hird, thought I'd share ...

Little: Hi James, how are you doing?

Hird: Oh, OK, I had a boring night at home last night on the couch. How was your night?

Little: It was OK, um, so about this appeal you're lodging ...

Hird: Yes, somebody needs to stick up for the players, you're happy to just throw them under a bus.

Little: Nobody is throwing anybody under a bus - we are planning to defend our player's innocence in front of ASADA.

Hird: No you're not, you're just accepting that Judge's decision - he had it in for us all along - we need to defend the reputation of the players and the club.

Little: That Judge is not ASADA James?

James: I know that, Andruska is ASADA, I hate her, I'm going to take her down first ..

Little: Adruska doesn't work ...

James: She always had it in for us, she'll learn not to mess with us!

Little: Anyway, Can you explain how getting off on a technical challenge to ASADA's authority is defending the reputation of anybody? And even if you do win, ASADA will probably still send out their notices ...?

Hird: Well, you might be shirking away from a contest, but I'm not going to let this great club and the players be stained by the innuendo.

Little: We're choosing our battles here James, what's the point of fighting battles we can't win? We're better off using our finite resources to fight battles we have some chance of winning and we can get a result from?

Hird: You're gutless!!!

Little: I don't think we're getting anywhere here ...

This is comedy gold. Apparently the board are not meeting until next week so Hird, according to Robbo is still coach. Sounds like Caro went off half cocked! Hilarious!

I hadn't read it, but interestingly he hasn't let it go:

Thompson, once as defiant as Hird, accepted the fill-in role because he felt a responsibility. But he fell in love with the role and wants it again.

But will he stand by Hird as a matter of principle?

It’s not beyond him to tell the club that if they sack Hird, then he goes as well.

Hird, meanwhile, is hanging from a cliff by a fingernail.

While the Bombers have once again given up the fight — feeling it’s practical to end the devastating saga — Hird is a different beast.

He is charging on for himself, his family, the players and the club, knowing that he’s probably sacrificing his career.

Certainly, he is defiant.

Clearly, be believes that principle is more important than coaching.

Even the Hird haters would admit he has mettle.

And what happens if he wins the appeal, and the “show cause” notices disappear?

The Bombers would be slapping themselves on the back, and the bloke who didn’t blink would have lost his job — for saving the club.
There's more spin on that s**t from Robbo than Warney had on the Gatting ball!!!!!

FMD!

My thoughts on today's happenings, and I'm most likely wrong:

The Essendon Board wanted to sack James Hird and announce Bomber Thompson as coach.

Bomber declined, saying he’ll take the Gold Coast job.

Essendon Board decide to meet next week to ‘discuss’ James’s future. (Line up interviews for a new coach)

Again, I could be and am most likely wrong, but that’s my take on it.

Last edited:
If anybody is bored I can assure you that a trip over to the bombers board is more fun than a barrel full of monkeys right now. Their ASADA thread has gone ballistic and is well on the way to 1400 pages. I haven't had fun like this in ages!

Sacked.....but they are allowing him to say "After due consideration I have chosen to resign my position"
Not officially sacked. Caro has even amended her headline to say he will be sacked in the coming days. Sounds like you're close to the mark with what's probably going on behind the scenes. Little doesn't want to have to defend an unfair dismissal suit as well as everything else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not officially sacked. Caro has even amended her headline to say he will be sacked in the coming days. Sounds like you're close to the mark with what's probably going on behind the scenes. Little doesn't want to have to defend an unfair dismissal suit as well as everything else.
Probably a 'breach of contract' suit.
They need to negotiate his resignation to protect EFC from future litigation.

Probably a 'breach of contract' suit.
They need to negotiate his resignation to protect EFC from future litigation.
Yep. That club is such a basket case. Looking highly likely that thy will lose Bomber too if they don't act quickly. That said, according to plenty of their fans he has to go anyway. Wonder where that will leave them.

Yep. That club is such a basket case. Looking highly likely that thy will lose Bomber too if they don't act quickly. That said, according to plenty of their fans he has to go anyway. Wonder where that will leave them.
With Kevin Sheedy :D

If anybody is bored I can assure you that a trip over to the bombers board is more fun than a barrel full of monkeys right now. Their ASADA thread has gone ballistic and is well on the way to 1400 pages. I haven't had fun like this in ages!

LOL. Took a look. The board is in meltdown... especially after they found out Bomber has gone on holiday to Mexico... :rainbow:

My take is in line with MMlynch. Hird will depart when a 'send off' package has been negotiated and been signed off on.
It's a little reminiscent of his acceptance of the 12 month ban he received, and accepted, under apparent duress and after he had negotiated a payed ban with a 2 year contract extention.
There is a history of retreating to the naughty corner only with a well filled pocket.
I'm not sure how it can be construed he has taken a bullet for the EFC, rather he is protecting his own interests legally and financially ( of which he is entitled). The dilema is, it's tracks a collision course with the wishes of his employers.

LOL. Took a look. The board is in meltdown... especially after they found out Bomber has gone on holiday to Mexico... :rainbow:
It's absolutely hilarious. As one of their posters said, if he's going to be appointed as the new coach, wouldn't you want him in a press conference very shortly after Hird gets the bullet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back