News Dons ASADA scandal (Latest: Pg 101 - CAS verdict. Guilty, 12 months.)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's absolutely hilarious. As one of their posters said, if he's going to be appointed as the new coach, wouldn't you want him in a press conference very shortly after Hird gets the bullet?
Video conference call from Bombers meth lab in Mexico.

Not sure if this has been done yet, probably has but oh well...
Essendons coaching line up for next year.
Breaking-Bad-Jesse-Pinkma-016.jpg

Am I the only one who'd be annoyed if Bomber Thompson coached Essendon next year? Surely being involved in this whole saga should exclude him from the Essendon job.
Either Hird or Bomber coaching Essendon next year isn't exactly a bad thing if we want them both to suffer eternally.

Either Hird or Bomber coaching Essendon next year isn't exactly a bad thing if we want them both to suffer eternally.

I think Bomber is a quality coach and makes Essendon a better side. I'd rather Hird ruin them further though.

I think Bomber is a quality coach and makes Essendon a better side. I'd rather Hird ruin them further though.
Bomber's hands aren't that clean though.
It was 3 months into the doping program that he and others approved, before he got cold feet and decided to step back from it.
But at no time did he demand that it be stopped, although he did raise a half arsed "concern" with Hird

Am I the only one who'd be annoyed if Bomber Thompson coached Essendon next year? Surely being involved in this whole saga should exclude him from the Essendon job.

Check out Rime's posts on the Essendon board. He is none too pleased about it.

Hey has anything happened with this?

Is Hird still senior coach?

Did the Essendon board have their meeting on Thursday (and Friday, and over the weekend, and on Monday?)

Is Thompson still sunning himself in the US somewhere?

Has Caro won an award for accuracy in Journalistic reporting?

Just seems a bit quiet since last Thursday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did the Essendon board have their meeting on Thursday (and Friday, and over the weekend, and on Monday?)

The bodies are being disposed of as we speak.

It's just getting messier and more confused.

Hird's camp has outmanouvered the Essendon board it seems. They wanted to sack him but it seems they felt unable to, as Hird's team removed the sticking point ( that being, if he appealed he would further delay ASADA releasing the penalty notices, which he'd been expressly asked not to do )
Essendon wanted to take their medicine and move on ( likely with the AFL's firm pushing)

Hird's team seem to have managed to lodge their appeal, won some PR browny points in the process ( by making out in large part it's to clear the players' names) but also has done so without delaying the issuing of the ASADA notices. So the Essendon board now can't really sack him for that stated reason.
That was the outcome of Monday's meeting - he's still coach, though there still were riders on it.

Plus it sounds like the board are fearing the Hird team will sue them big time for breach of contract if they do.

Several players have also come out now and said they want Hird to coach, in an apparent U turn from the lovefest Bomber Thompson got at their end of season awards night, where Hird's name was not officially mentioned once by a single soul...

Surely players would have to be divided about this conundrum as to who'll be the coach. But they also are a resilient lot and they'll no doubt pull together for whoever is coach, and that looks like being Hird at this stage.

Bomber is still away apparently and his dream of coaching them is crumbling now surely.

Reckon Essendon hope Bomber will now accept the GC Suns job, as at least that would further unite the players behind Hird.

Personally, I despise Hird for what he's done to footy in this saga, but I do have a grudging admiration for his tenacity hanging in there against all the odds and likely winning what seemed absolutely unwinnable. The hide he must have, being told to stay away from the club during the finals campaign and then the Awards night, when he's still the coach and a former beloved club champion - anyone else would have surely curled up and died at the humiliation.

It does show though the amazing, single minded determination of the guy - pick 80 odd in the draft and then etches out the most outstanding career.

Fascinating story and maybe a few more turns to come yet!

Personally, I despise Hird for what he's done to footy in this saga, but I do have a grudging admiration for his tenacity hanging in there against all the odds and likely winning what seemed absolutely unwinnable. The hide he must have, being told to stay away from the club during the finals campaign and then the Awards night, when he's still the coach and a former beloved club champion - anyone else would have surely curled up and died at the humiliation.

All of that just makes me think he's a complete prick..

Tenacity or Narcissism?

Yeah good point.

I think if it's not narcissism he's giving a very good impersonation of someone who is a narcissist.
But there is tenacity also - I think if it were purely narcissism, he'd have picked up his bat and ball and gone home, telling everyone to stick it by now.

You'd probably need to know him personally to 100% know which was the dominant factor.

Doubt it's 100% one or the other tbh.

It's just getting messier and more confused.

Hird's camp has outmanouvered the Essendon board it seems. They wanted to sack him but it seems they felt unable to, as Hird's team removed the sticking point ( that being, if he appealed he would further delay ASADA releasing the penalty notices, which he'd been expressly asked not to do )
Essendon wanted to take their medicine and move on ( likely with the AFL's firm pushing)

Hird's team seem to have managed to lodge their appeal, won some PR browny points in the process ( by making out in large part it's to clear the players' names) but also has done so without delaying the issuing of the ASADA notices. So the Essendon board now can't really sack him for that stated reason.
That was the outcome of Monday's meeting - he's still coach, though there still were riders on it.

Plus it sounds like the board are fearing the Hird team will sue them big time for breach of contract if they do.

Several players have also come out now and said they want Hird to coach, in an apparent U turn from the lovefest Bomber Thompson got at their end of season awards night, where Hird's name was not officially mentioned once by a single soul...

Surely players would have to be divided about this conundrum as to who'll be the coach. But they also are a resilient lot and they'll no doubt pull together for whoever is coach, and that looks like being Hird at this stage.

Bomber is still away apparently and his dream of coaching them is crumbling now surely.

Reckon Essendon hope Bomber will now accept the GC Suns job, as at least that would further unite the players behind Hird.

It does show though the amazing, single minded determination of the guy - pick 80 odd in the draft and then etches out the most outstanding career.

Fascinating story and maybe a few more turns to come yet!
Great post.

It is clearly an untenable position and almost absurd he remains when the board clearly doesn't want him. Even the language on the 'immediate term' was clear they are about to move on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back