News Dons ASADA scandal (Latest: Pg 101 - CAS verdict. Guilty, 12 months.)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just getting messier and more confused.

Hird's camp has outmanouvered the Essendon board it seems. They wanted to sack him but it seems they felt unable to, as Hird's team removed the sticking point ( that being, if he appealed he would further delay ASADA releasing the penalty notices, which he'd been expressly asked not to do )
Essendon wanted to take their medicine and move on ( likely with the AFL's firm pushing)

Hird's team seem to have managed to lodge their appeal, won some PR browny points in the process ( by making out in large part it's to clear the players' names) but also has done so without delaying the issuing of the ASADA notices. So the Essendon board now can't really sack him for that stated reason.
That was the outcome of Monday's meeting - he's still coach, though there still were riders on it.

Plus it sounds like the board are fearing the Hird team will sue them big time for breach of contract if they do.

Several players have also come out now and said they want Hird to coach, in an apparent U turn from the lovefest Bomber Thompson got at their end of season awards night, where Hird's name was not officially mentioned once by a single soul...

Surely players would have to be divided about this conundrum as to who'll be the coach. But they also are a resilient lot and they'll no doubt pull together for whoever is coach, and that looks like being Hird at this stage.

Bomber is still away apparently and his dream of coaching them is crumbling now surely.

Reckon Essendon hope Bomber will now accept the GC Suns job, as at least that would further unite the players behind Hird.

Personally, I despise Hird for what he's done to footy in this saga, but I do have a grudging admiration for his tenacity hanging in there against all the odds and likely winning what seemed absolutely unwinnable. The hide he must have, being told to stay away from the club during the finals campaign and then the Awards night, when he's still the coach and a former beloved club champion - anyone else would have surely curled up and died at the humiliation.

It does show though the amazing, single minded determination of the guy - pick 80 odd in the draft and then etches out the most outstanding career.

Fascinating story and maybe a few more turns to come yet!

Nothing makes me shake my head and say "Tsk Tsk Tsk" more than seeing somebody deal with the consequences of a really stupid decision.

Paul Little's 2 year "up yours" contract extension of James Hird immediately after the acceptance of James' 12 month ban was stupid and unnecessary.

He only needed to make it a 12 month extension (ie: over the ban period) as a sign of goodwill so that Hird had a job to come back to ... but there was just far too much water to pass under the bridge for Essendon to lock themselves into having Hird as senior coach for 2015. Of course, that's not giving Hird any job security - But heck - paying Hird handsomely for a year to do nothing was as far as the generosity should have gone. And if that meant Hird getting peeved off and going off to do something else ... then so be it.

The decision to reappoint Hird has certainly bitten Little on the arse. Hindsight is 20/20 but even back then I remember feeling that it was an extreme move. WTF was he thinking?

I concur with Swoop about Hird having almost superhuman resilience; he also benefits from an outstanding legal team. Don't underestimate how much of an edge this can be in disputes.

It will almost be sad to see it all end. :p
Enjoying watching the Golden Boy willing to completely sell his own club down the river (with Tania's help of course).
No matter how it ends, Essendon will be the loser.
Feel sorry for the supporters......... the ones that want Hird gone that is.
The supporters blindly supporting him, deserve him.

P.S. If it was Buckley I'd want his head on a stick.

Personally, I despise Hird for what he's done to footy in this saga, but I do have a grudging admiration for his tenacity hanging in there against all the odds and likely winning what seemed absolutely unwinnable. The hide he must have, being told to stay away from the club during the finals campaign and then the Awards night, when he's still the coach and a former beloved club champion - anyone else would have surely curled up and died at the humiliation.

It does show though the amazing, single minded determination of the guy - pick 80 odd in the draft and then etches out the most outstanding career.

Fascinating story and maybe a few more turns to come yet!

Admire him? Certainly not for me, he's dragged this whole competition through the mud for 3 years, he thought it was ok to give healthy young men thousands of questionable drugs, he's thrown any "mate" he can under the bus, he & Tania's riduculous set up door stop convo's, ignoring his great mate the Doc's orders, throughs into question how himself made such wonderful revovories from serious injuries during his career, blaming the AFL for for tipping them off, using the dog ate my homework defence, using the courts to get off on a technicality but at least, thank God, he wants all the truth to come out!

He's a dog & he should be put down (shunned from the AFL world forever).

Admire him? Certainly not for me, he's dragged this whole competition through the mud for 3 years, he thought it was ok to give healthy young men thousands of questionable drugs, he's thrown any "mate" he can under the bus, he & Tania's riduculous set up door stop convo's, ignoring his great mate the Doc's orders, throughs into question how himself made such wonderful revovories from serious injuries during his career, blaming the AFL for for tipping them off, using the dog ate my homework defence, using the courts to get off on a technicality but at least, thank God, he wants all the truth to come out!

Don't hold back spidey tell us what your really think mate lol :D:thumbsu:

No OA , I most definitely do not admire James Hird.

The key word was despise.

Despise more than any other person in the AFL industry - with daylight second.

It was a ( very!) grudging admiration for his resilience and thick hide, how he had the gaul to keep fighting and even show his face in public.

Not many could do that.

But as pointed out by BJ, maybe there's a decent amount of narcissism at play there.

I could have said it better in hindsight :)

Holy s**t, Essendon are heading for the dark ages.

That's Ryder, Winderlich, Howlett, Kavanagh, did I miss any?

No OA , I most definitely do not admire James Hird.

The key word was despise.

Despise more than any other person in the AFL industry - with daylight second.

It was a ( very!) grudging admiration for his resilience and thick hide, how he had the gaul to keep fighting and even show his face in public.

Not many could do that.

But as pointed out by BJ, maybe there's a decent amount of narcissism at play there.

I could have said it better in hindsight :)

That would explain the trip to Paris then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what happens to their VFL team then? Can they just bring in players from other leagues or what?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back