News Dons ASADA scandal (Latest: Pg 101 - CAS verdict. Guilty, 12 months.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Roy Masters (Rugby league super coach, journalist, asada insider, afl hater) wrote this in February:

Should Sharks players be served with infraction notices and sanctioned, while AFL players are told they have no case to answer, the political fall-out in the Liberal voting stronghold of the Cronulla Shire will be eclipse-like.

It is often said that AFL in Melbourne is so powerful, it blocks out the sun but the Shire politicians will make themselves heard, even to those of a Hird mentality.

Furthermore, Melbourne and AFL are but one city and sport in the global reach of WADA and it may call for a review of the findings, if only to shine a light on the many unanswered questions of this wrenching saga.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...many-perplexing-questions-20140206-323pw.html

WADA absolutely won't let this get swept under the rug, even if the AFL and Essendon eclipse ASADA and try to do so. It'll be interesting to see how WADA act during the rest of the process.

Ok fair enough point taken but the 3 match penalty stands so it's still barely more than a peep.

3 matches for taking performance enhancing drugs is a farcical penalty. Nrl players get more weeks for a shoulder charge.

The article also clearly confirms that Abbotts grubby hands are all over the process. He has engineered the result for his mates down at Cronulla.

Ok fair enough point taken but the 3 match penalty stands so it's still barely more than a peep.

3 matches for taking performance enhancing drugs is a farcical penalty. Nrl players get more weeks for a shoulder charge.

The article also clearly confirms that Abbotts grubby hands are all over the process. He has engineered the result for his mates down at Cronulla.
They got a year, but because the investigation took an unusual amount of time (because huge resources were being used to investigate Essendon) the penalty was backdated.
In addition Cronulla didn't have a systemic doping program as Essendon did, it was ad-hoc, hence the year penalty.
However, I agree that the Suspensions should not have been backdated and it should have been 2 years, just as WADA believed.

They got a year, but because the investigation took an unusual amount of time (because huge resources were being used to investigate Essendon) the penalty was backdated.
In addition Cronulla didn't have a systemic doping program as Essendon did, it was ad-hoc, hence the year penalty.
However, I agree that the Suspensions should not have been backdated and it should have been 2 years, just as WADA believed.

I don't buy that, i think its just ASADA spin. Don't forget the afl actively assisted them throughout the investigation. Cronulla did nothing to assist asada other than willingly accept their backdated bans.

Paul Gallen (Cronulla drug cheat) captained NSW to a famous state of origin series win over QLD during his "backdated suspension".

Essendon won't be afforded the same Prime Ministerial assistance. They will be hung out to dry. As a Collingwood supporter this makes me happy but as an afl fanatic living in Rugby League heartland the inconsistency makes me feel sick in the stomach. It's a slap in the face to our code.

I don't buy that, i think its just ASADA spin. Don't forget the afl actively assisted them throughout the investigation. Cronulla did nothing to assist asada other than willingly accept their backdated bans.

Paul Gallen (Cronulla drug cheat) captained NSW to a famous state of origin series win over QLD during his "backdated suspension".

Essendon won't be afforded the same Prime Ministerial assistance. They will be hung out to dry. As a Collingwood supporter this makes me happy but as an afl fanatic living in Rugby League heartland the inconsistency makes me feel sick in the stomach. It's a slap in the face to our code.
No its not a slap in the face to our code - its another slap in the face the voting public of Australia who voted for Skeletor.

It's not about codes but about how much political pressure has be applied.

I think you need to review much of the stuff you claim to be factual

So EFC just need to drag their feet for the duration that the ban would take affect for and no-one has to serve any game penalty, that's nice and easy.

I was going to ask if they could do this the other day but figured it was a dumb question.... I don't see the point in determining a sentence if it's not going to be served.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was going to ask if they could do this the other day but figured it was a dumb question.... I don't see the point in determining a sentence if it's not going to be served.

It's ridiculous and in fact if I were EFC I'd be looking to urge the players to serve the soft penalty now because if the sentence comes down post the period the bans would have been in affect for then it will be clear to everyone that in fact no penalty has been administered and they might have to start from scratch.

I think Hird is in court this Monday

I strongly doubt that the Prime Minister of any democratic country would interfere with an anti-doping investigation.

It'd be up there with them interfering with the judiciary.

The consequences if they got busted wouldn't be worth it.

I strongly doubt that the Prime Minister of any democratic country would interfere with an anti-doping investigation.

It'd be up there with them interfering with the judiciary.

The consequences if they got busted wouldn't be worth it.
Lol 76 wouldst that thou were right and it twere so , , ,

Have you followed the Italian paliament in recent years :eek:

Last edited:
Lol 76 wouldst that thou were right and it twere so , , ,

Have you followed the Italian paliament in recent years :eek:

Ah yes, the Italians have their own very special brand of democracy :p

So EFC just need to drag their feet for the duration that the ban would take affect for and no-one has to serve any game penalty, that's nice and easy.
I'm very sure this is something Little has been advised, drag it out so if they do get whacked it'll be back dated to effectively do nothing. And then of course they'll proclaim that they won in more EFC spin.

I'm very sure this is something Little has been advised, drag it out so if they do get whacked it'll be back dated to effectively do nothing. And then of course they'll proclaim that they won in more EFC spin.
Shouldn't do. The explanation behind Cronullas backdated bans, was due to all of ASADAs resources and time, were spent investigating Essendon. Therefore, Cronulla were denied the option to have there case sorted, through no fault if their own.

Essendon, by taking ASADA to court, have delayed their own case. No chance of backdated bans. I'm expecting 6/12 month bans, probably including pre-season, therefore I'm glad ASADA are leaving no stone unturned. Cronulla sat quietly and took their medicine when it came time to settle the case. Essendon has scratched and screamed the whole way through this.

The world is watching this end result.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back