News Dons ASADA scandal (Latest: Pg 101 - CAS verdict. Guilty, 12 months.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Then why have they be found not guilty? Must be fine.

Which part of this process don't you understand? The players were jabbed repeatedly after signing waivers and no-one can provide proof as to what they were given.

I say this as a joke because we know you are really interested in being controversial.

Predictable and fair outcome given the AFL couldn't afford to ban half of the club for financial reasons and the players were clearly the least culpable party in this mess. My only spew is that Hird isn't banished forever.
And gut feel tells me the verdict stems from ASADA's inability to show which players exactly were jabbed with TB4.
It also seems like the ADVRP completely disregarded the intent angle which considering the supply chain wouldn't be hard to prove.

Yes, but leaves a bad taste in the mouth when the inability to show what was administered was due to the negligent actions of the club to keep records. Similar to the Russian World Cup committee not being able to provide any evidence for the investigation into corruption because the destroyed their computers. Smells.

Yes, but leaves a bad taste in the mouth when the inability to show what was administered was due to the negligent actions of the club to keep records. Similar to the Russian World Cup committee not being able to provide any evidence for the investigation into corruption because the destroyed their computers. Smells.
You are being very kind.

Did the Essendon players actually do anthing wrong?

They allowed themselves to be injected with unknown substances.

The senior players must also carry the burden of failing to protect the more vulnerable younger players coming into the system.

I wouldn't want anyone of those senior players on our list.

I see what you're saying but playing the devils advocate for a moment the AFL has already punished them for being negligent.

How does the AFL promote rd1? a team that cheated but got away with it vs a team that we'd given an unfair advantage to . :drunk:

I reckon it's over. Do you really think the AFL directed tribunal members I their findings? Not a change in hell. The reality is it couldn't be established who got what. I have little doubt that is why records were not kept and that actual accurate records would have thrown up a different verdict but when no one tests positive you need strong evidence to convict any given player.

This is about it IMO. Unless there has been an error of law, this is over. The lack of a positive test was probably the killer. And the fact that they couldn't get the two main witnesses to appear at the hearing. There was probably plenty of circumstantial evidence, but they fell short of the standard of proof. In my eyes, it doesn't mean it didn't happen. A bit like Victor Pierce and his mates. Does anyone bleieve they weren't responsible for Walsh Street?

Even today, Jobe was unable to answer the question of what he took. In my mind, thats proof enough. If it was a legitimate program with no seedy side, I'm sure the records would have been put on the table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see what you're saying but playing the devils advocate for a moment the AFL has already punished them for being negligent.
I'll play devil's advocate to your devil's advocate and say how can you call that a punishment when the head coach and the club doctor still play central roles at the club.

This is about it IMO. Unless there has been an error of law, this is over. The lack of a positive test was probably the killer. And the fact that they couldn't get the two main witnesses to appear at the hearing. There was probably plenty of circumstantial evidence, but they fell short of the standard of proof. In my eyes, it doesn't mean it didn't happen. A bit like Victor Pierce and his mates. Does anyone bleieve they weren't responsible for Walsh Street?

Even today, Jobe was unable to answer the question of what he took. In my mind, thats proof enough. If it was a legitimate program with no seedy side, I'm sure the records would have been put on the table.
You don't need an error of law to appeal

I'll play devil's advocate to your devil's advocate and say how can you call that a punishment when the head coach and the club doctor still play central roles at the club.
Agree but IMO it is all connected to how much AFL knew at the time of the program.

Haha my deletion of posts on the HTB board continues, some Mod keeps deleting them. I wonder which team she barracks for?

I don't have one. I hate Essendon and wished they got banned regardless of whether they did anything wrong. Probably like 99% of this board.

That's tripe, TG. It's rivalries that make this competition great. I love the ANZAC game and the games against Carlton and Fitzroy. I'd hate to lose any of these teams from the competition. Most of us don't want Essendon banned, we want justice done and Hird and his cronies expunged from the game

Oh well...if OJ Simpson can get away with murder, then I guess a few footballers can get away with drug offences.
I will not be attending ANZAC day this year.
Interesting point regarding ANZAC Day. I think both clubs should donate a big chunk of gate proceedings to either the RSL or another nominated charity like Soldier On.

That's tripe, TG. It's rivalries that make this competition great. I love the ANZAC game and the games against Carlton and Fitzroy. I'd hate to lose any of these teams from the competition. Most of us don't want Essendon banned, we want justice done and Hird and his cronies expunged from the game
Yes that's what I mean by banned. All 34 of them. I wanted them banned regardless of whether they were guilty or not.

Interesting point regarding ANZAC Day. I think both clubs should donate a big chunk of gate proceedings to either the RSL or another nominated charity like Soldier On.

I think Essendon should Donate all of there Gate Takings

A league wide choice by fans to boycott Don's games would do a hell of a lot more to sort out the mess that is the afl than ASADA/WADA can/have. At least ANzac day and all their home games.

So you are saying the AFL are Gutless Wonders?

So you are saying the AFL are Gutless Wonders?
They are just another corporate entity. Their priorities are to continue to exist, to grow and to make money. They lack a moral centre. The fans are the ones with true heart in this system and actually hold all the power. The way for us to vote is to withhold $. Watch how quick the AFL will change its tack if <5000 people turned up at Anzac day and ratings dropped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back