We beat Giants by plenty for % Port beat Pies Swans beat Dons
Round 20
We beat Essendon Carlton beat Suns
Round 21
We beat Crows, Port beat Suns
Round 22
We beat Saints by plenty for %, Roos beat Crows,
Round 23
We beat Sydney, Hawks beat Pies, Carlton beats Essendon*/Essendon beats Carlton#

*We finish 7th and play North.
#We finish 8th and play Port in Adelaide.

Still alive.
Done... :)

Looks like Pasquali has some competition

From the footy live app chat back in ..... April

1b25aa93e387b7c77a2999a02d5127de.jpg

I thought Curry would of ridden Rogan Josh
Outstanding Rusty.
Did you just set the gag up, leave it out there, get a response,and then deliver the goods?
You did didn't you?
Very good.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

TigerAndy

Club Legend
Jan 16, 2014
high on a hill looking over the bridge to the mcg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
melbourne storm, charlotte hornets
We have no doubt been one of the most unsuccessful clubs of the past 40 years when you think about the amount of finals campaigns that clubs have embarked on. But consider this:

1980 - Made prelim then went on to win premiership
1982 - Made prelim then was a grand finalist
1995 - Made prelim
2001 - Made prelim
2013 - Knocked out first week

It would seem that last years result was the anomaly of the past 34 years. Keep prelim final day free - 20th September this year ;)

Last edited:

Black Saab

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Grand Final is on the 27th Sept. My birthday! C'mon Tige's... that's all I want for my birthday!
Seek first Pasquali's guidance my child...let him peer deep into the near future. For only he has the mystical, magical eye necessary for making out these still cloudy times ahead...

You will find him beyond a grove of mushrooms in a slightly wooded area. He will be sitting atop a toad stump eating pine cones and wiping his mouth with a Teal, Black and White rag thingy that some of the locals use for clothing...for Pasquali has already been to where what hasn't even happened yet...

Last edited:
We have no doubt been one of the most unsuccessful clubs of the past 40 years when you think about the amount of finals campaigns that clubs have embarked on. But consider this:

1980 - Made prelim then went on to win premiership
1982 - Made prelim then was a grand finalist
1995 - Made prelim
2001 - Made prelim
2013 - Knocked out first week

It would seem that last years result was the anomaly of the past 34 years. Keep prelim final day free - 20th September this year ;)
We Actually didn't play prelims in 1980 and 82.
Just went straight through.

May 29, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting article to think about around last year, this year and next year:
http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/09/03/unprecedented-richmond-run-really-begin/
From said article.
"Swap the two fixtures of Carlton and Richmond around and there is every chance the AFL is talking about Carlton racing to finals on the back of a nine game winning streak."

I thought Carlton got flogged by Port recently. They didn't beat Essendon either. Lost to Collingwood. Give me a break.

What a crock of s**t, the quality of the The Roar is unbelievably poor.

Carlton are worse placed because they are a worse team, not because of any fixturing cop-out. To suggest that losing that EF set up the 9 game streak is dribble of the highest order.
From said article.
"Swap the two fixtures of Carlton and Richmond around and there is every chance the AFL is talking about Carlton racing to finals on the back of a nine game winning streak."

I thought Carlton got flogged by Port recently. They didn't beat Essendon either. Lost to Collingwood. Give me a break.
Ignore the Carlton part
I just meant what last year meant to this year, what winning/losing this week means to next year

If we beat Port, we get the top 6 group (Sydney, Hawthorn, Geelong, Fremantle, Richmond, North/Ess), Port get the middle 6 (Port, North/Ess, West Coast, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Collingwood, Carlton)

Top 12 look like hard draws next year regardless

May 23, 2010
Leafy Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Richmond
Ignore the Carlton part
I just meant what last year meant to this year, what winning/losing this week means to next year

If we beat Port, we get the top 6 group (Sydney, Hawthorn, Geelong, Fremantle, Richmond, North/Ess), Port get the middle 6 (Port, North/Ess, West Coast, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Collingwood, Carlton)

No doubt tougher, but that's what we've got to aim at sooner or later.

As the quote goes "the strongest steel is forged by the hottest fires".

Darth_Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks
Ignore the Carlton part

If we want to be a top side we have to beat top sides. I for one am hoping to go as far as possible this year.

Final Siren

Mr Squiggle
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
From said article.

Yeah, exactly. Even ignoring the fact that Richmond had a tougher start to the season than Carlton, the Blues' results against our 9-win streak teams were far worse. They were thrashed by Port (twice), thrashed by Essendon once and drew once, thrashed by Sydney, and lost to Brisbane.

They did beat Adelaide and West Coast by less than a goal, but played them at home while we played those sides away, so home ground advantage means those are almost certainly losses on a level playing field.

Carlton on our run would have gone:
St Kilda - WIN
Brisbane - LOSS
Port Adelaide - LOSS
West Coast - probable LOSS
GWS - WIN
Essendon - LOSS or DRAW
Adelaide - probable LOSS
St Kilda - WIN
Sydney - LOSS

So that's an amazing 1-win streak on the way to 3-6.

Final Siren

Mr Squiggle
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Ignore the Carlton part

What's interesting to me is how an upset in an Elimination Final almost always means that the victorious team really will be stronger the following year.

Carlton & Richmond 2013 to 2014 is the obvious exception, because the Tigers are defying all kinds of history this year. But take Port vs Collingwood in last year's Elimination Final: a huge upset, and everyone said Port were lucky to finish top-6. But they've been far better than the Pies this year, and the fixture was correct to consider them in the top bracket and exclude Collingwood.

Before that, Fremantle booted out Geelong in a huge Elim Final upset in 2012, and although the Cats were still contenders in 2013, the Dockers made the GF and the Cats didn't.

The EF upset before that was Sydney beating St Kilda in 2011, and sure enough Sydney were the far better team the following year, winning the flag.

So the theory that an upset in an Elimination Final causes teams to get an unfair fixture doesn't hold water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back