Opinion Don't mention the war (a.k.a. The same old arguments)

Remove this Banner Ad

lol
the message Walker would have received after all of this (we don't rate you Josh which is why tried to off load you to Carlton), would he choose to stay?
We did the same thing Trent West, treated him like dog s**t his final couple of seasons and as soon as Simpson, Vardy were healthy, they were thrown into the best 22 at West's expense. A few weeks later, Simpson goes down with injury and the club turn to West asking for help, no wonder he wasn't trying his heart out in his last couple of appearances for the club.

If I was Walker, I'd be bloody eager to look at any other club interested in his services now. Geelong have already shown their hand, we may lose out on Henderson and Walker in the process here.

Statistically, West had his best season for us in 2012 and he actually played 21 games for us that season. In 2013 we gave him the opportunity to start the season in the seniors and cement the ruck spot as his own, but over the course of the season his averages all dropped - less disposals, marks, tackles & hitouts all compared with 2012, the only increase for him was frees for & frees against.

He had opportunities but didn't grab them with two hands, nor did he convert VFL form to AFL form when he did get opportunities late in the season.

Statistically, West had his best season for us in 2012 and he actually played 21 games for us that season. In 2013 we gave him the opportunity to start the season in the seniors and cement the ruck spot as his own, but over the course of the season his averages all dropped - less disposals, marks, tackles & hitouts all compared with 2012, the only increase for him was frees for & frees against.

He had opportunities but didn't grab them with two hands, nor did he convert VFL form to AFL form when he did get opportunities late in the season.

.......and he's injury prone....:p....did he play at all this year?

.......and he's injury prone....:p....did he play at all this year?

2 games in his come back year after doing his ACL in his 10th game of last year.

Maybe I am remembering wrong, but I thought that there was some speculation about West's longevity during 2013 and talk of an ongoing knee issues which could cut his career short.

Come on. West was never up to it. :rolleyes:
Not as a no.1 ruck. As a no.2 he was most certainly.

Problem for West was we had a few of them and he had the most currency. Happy with Kolo as the byproduct of that trade :)

His ruck output was still miles better than the two preferred 'ruckmen' who duly got obliterated during the finals. His final game vs Brisbane was the only game in the last two months of 2013 where we won the hitouts, clearances and centre clearances. A most unpleasant fact.

Remember the golden rule: it's ok to lose finals so long as your favourites get picked.

His ruck output was still miles better than the two preferred 'ruckmen' who duly got obliterated during the finals. His final game vs Brisbane was the only game in the last two months of 2013 where we won the hitouts, clearances and centre clearances. A most unpleasant fact.

Remember the golden rule: it's ok to lose finals so long as your favourites get picked.

We won the hitouts in against Brisbane, but one vs one, Luey still had the better of West; we were lucky enough to have the better #2 ruck in Blicavs that day ahead of Brisbane.

And funnily enough, during the 2013 season Blicavs form against 2 of our final opponents in 2013 was equal to or better than the form West had showed during the season - West didn't actually play against Freo in round 14 that year, but he was beaten pretty comprehensively by Sandi in their couple of battles in 2012. In rnd 1 against the Hawks, both guys had 11 hitouts & 9 disposals, against Port in Rnd 9 West had 17 hitouts & 11 disposals while Blicavs had 20 hitouts & 13 disposals.

The fact that West was omitted and not even listed as an emergency indicates that the club wasn't happy with some aspect of his game - they may have felt that against Sandi we weren't going to win the hitouts regardless if it was West, Vardy or Blicavs going in as the #1, but they hoped that they would get more out of Vardy & Blicavs around the ground. It didn't work out that way against Freo, but our ruck situation wasn't the sole reason for us losing that match.

This thread will be a safe house for the same old arguments. They will be quarantined here to avoid clogging up other threads. E.g.:

- Blake vs King
- Blake vs Mumford
- West vs Anyone
- Varcoe monotony
- "we could have traded Steve Johnson to GWS for two first round draft picks"

Etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest if we started to retire the older players a little earlier we'd be further ahead in our rebuild I mean look at where St Kilda and Collingwood are. We should've started back in 2011, all of our problems started then and its been all down hill since. For example if we had simply pumped a few more games into Blake he wouldn't have left and we wouldn't have had all of the ruck troubles we've had of late. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have given no games to Ottens but if we gave him something like at 10 game contract at the end of 2010. While West wasn't a great number 1 ruckman he would have been a great backup to Blake, we probably would have won the grand final that year. Scott has a lot to answer for.

To be honest if we started to retire the older players a little earlier we'd be further ahead in our rebuild I mean look at where St Kilda and Collingwood are. We should've started back in 2011, all of our problems started then and its been all down hill since. For example if we had simply pumped a few more games into Blake he wouldn't have left and we wouldn't have had all of the ruck troubles we've had of late. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have given no games to Ottens but if we gave him something like at 10 game contract at the end of 2010. While West wasn't a great number 1 ruckman he would have been a great backup to Blake, we probably would have won the grand final that year. Scott has a lot to answer for.
Doesn't this belong in one of the Scott threads, 10lana? Perhaps your post can be split into two, with the last couple of sentences in the Scott thread and the rest of it left here?

Sounds like a plan. Any way we can make money out of it? (I'm glad you used the word "we" :)) anything I can do? Take measurements, plot graphs, anything??

Graphs sounds good, I'm not sure what type of graphs... I expect a graph of some kind on my desk by 9:15 am tomorrow morning, I need something to show Brian by then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back