MRP / Trib. Douglas suspended for 2 games (With subsequent discussion on Viney bump)

Remove this Banner Ad

Afc should come out & say they are concerned that this has gone straight to tribunal & intimate that we will appeal if we think the process or penalty are unfair.

Glass gets one game for cleaning up Wingard and sending him to hospital with bruised ribs. The AFL is ****ed.

This is total BS.

Here is a photo of contact, legs on the ground and I dont care what anyone says he didnt hit his head. His head injury was sustained when he hit the ground.

View attachment 52548

They don't care. Any head injury resulted from unnecessary contact = penalty.
I just didn't expect the tribunal. Ridiculous.

This is total BS.

Here is a photo of contact, legs on the ground and I dont care what anyone says he didnt hit his head. His head injury was sustained when he hit the ground.

View attachment 52548
From that picture, Ward is the only GWS player that would have been able to put pressure on the kicker. I thought it happened behind the play, but this shows it was in line with the play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From recent history anyone referred to the Tribunal usually faces a suspension longer than the MRP can issue.

Not necessarily. Below is a list of cases that have gone direct to the tribunal and their results (from google search - there may well be others).

2013 GF: Nick Suban (misconduct - unreasonable conduct to face) - 1 game + 50 carry-over points.

2013 round 3: Dean Brogan (rough conduct - negligent off the ball bump causing broken jaw) - 3 games

2012 round 16: Chris Judd (misconduct - "chicken wing") - 4 games + 50 carryover points

2009 round 3: Heath Shaw (contact with umpire) - 1 game + 26.56 carryover points, down from 225pts with guilty plea and good record

2008 round 4: Barry Hall (striking) - 7 games + 90 carryover points

There are two types of case here. One is the Barry Hall one - where the points system said he had to go the Tribunal.

All the others are slightly unusual circumstances for one reason or another, where it seems the MRP has said "our gradings don't really contemplate this situation - the tribunal should deal with it."

It doesn't necessarily mean that the bloke's gonna get 8 weeks. Brogan's is probably pretty comparable. With a plea and a clean record, I could see Dougy getting away with 2.

Absolute joke that Douglas is being sent to the tribunal when the bump wasn't high and he didn't raise an arm/leave the ground and Glass gets one week when he left the ground AND hit Wingard in the head, not to mention rib bruising. What a joke

This is total BS.

View attachment 52548

I daresay that's 5 metres or close enough to.

It might be more than 5m, but it's not much more. It's not as though it was a mile behind play.

5-5.5 metres at most. I've measured it.

I am actually glad in a way. The AFC are forced to argue dougies case. If he was given a MRP offer the Crows would just accept it and not argue. I think this can be argued to a 1-2 week, or no suspension at all.

5-5.5 metres at most. I've measured it.

I am actually glad in a way. The AFC are forced to argue dougies case. If he was given a MRP offer the Crows would just accept it and not argue. I think this can be argued to a 1-2 week, or no suspension at all.

Correct. I put the decision around 6m, but to say it is off the ball is ridiculous it is within the scope of error and both players were realistically in the play.

It is going to be interesting. You can no longer bump a player without fear of incurring the wrath of the "Duty of care" brigade, yet you can punch the player responsible in retribution and be suspended for only one game. Seems to me there is less duty of care when you punch someone. There is only one intention when you punch whereas a bump is used to be a legitimate tactic to protect a team mate from being tackled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back