Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Gunna have to meet the T60 in person one day.

I'm picturing Elvis meeting Nixon, but it's really gunna be Ford and George Harrison. :cool:

You'd have to come to Melbourne numbers.
The old boy doesn't like to travel. Fair enough though, they chuck him in a cage in stuff him into the cargo hold with half a bowl of warm water for the entire trip.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
I read with some sadness today that Geoff 'Brother' Luke has passed away. He was the physiotherapist at Carlton for decades from the late 50s until the 90s. He even tweaked a young Robbo on a few occasions. My contact with him was from 73 to 75 and his manner and appearance always struck me as slightly unusual. I think eccentric is the adjective to use in his case. He was well liked and respected and did it all for the love of it. The whole idea of volunteering your time is lost these days. A good innings, I think he was 91. Obviously that's your reward for giving so much. Rest In Peace Brother, you deserve it.:thumbsu:

Thy doesn't travel.

It's an effort for him to come on down from the mountain to the MCG & Etihad!:p
Although he seems to be on the path to Ballarat for this weekend... so he is coming down off the mountain :D

King of Ruin

The First Rebellion
Sep 10, 2012
Under The Banners Of War
AFL Club
Carlton
Dumplings are involved Dram. Thy will do almost anything for a good dumping.
gabujepe.jpg

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I'm sure the food and habitat of the thylacine is a passing phase and 'Down Memory Lane' will resume normal transmission:cool:

PS: Skat samples found in mountainous domain of the thylacine confirmed a preference for pan-fried dumplings:rolleyes:

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Over the years many players have left the Blues and joined other teams. I reckon the first I remember was Bruce McMaster Smith who crossed to St Kilda in the mid-60s. The first time at Moorabbin and the game's close and a bloody Carlton man slots the winning goal for the Saints.

There have been plenty over the years and I've certainly embraced a few blokes from other teams who have travelled the other way. I've loved the guys who have been discarded and enjoyed success at Carlton. The last flag included Spalding, Pearce, Rice, Clape, Manton, Madden and Hogg.

The new century has thrown some strange defections into the mix. No longer are the players discarded they leave willingly and it is this aspect that throws me out of whack. Why would you want to leave the greatest football club in the land?

Today really hurt! The bloke wearing number 18 for the Crows. WTF got into his head.:(

The Blue Baggers

Premiership Player
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Over the years many players have left the Blues and joined other teams. I reckon the first I remember was Bruce McMaster Smith who crossed to St Kilda in the mid-60s. The first time at Moorabbin and the game's close and a bloody Carlton man slots the winning goal for the Saints.

There have been plenty over the years and I've certainly embraced a few blokes from other teams who have travelled the other way. I've loved the guys who have been discarded and enjoyed success at Carlton. The last flag included Spalding, Pearce, Rice, Clape, Manton, Madden and Hogg.

The new century has thrown some strange defections into the mix. No longer are the players discarded they leave willingly and it is this aspect that throws me out of whack. Why would you want to leave the greatest football club in the land?

Today really hurt! The bloke wearing number 18 for the Crows. WTF got into his head.:(

don't think we have lost too many over the years that we wanted to keep ... maybe aaron hamill (and the money they offered was unbelievable for a good honest footballer)

remember in the mid to late 80's the st kilda team was full of old carlton players ... mcconville, sheldon, marcou, wow jones, kourkoumelis, mueller, aitken, & ricky nixon

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
Cant recall a match that I have seen when one of our big name ex-players has really destroyed us in a match, I might need to think a bit harder and I am sure someone will remind me of a game or 2.

Dont think Hamill hurt us a great deal when he played us, Fev didn't and Russell certainly didn't and is not really a big name anyway, Josh Kennedy maybe at times (cringe when I see him take a contested mark), Camporeale no, Beaumont ??, Jacobs ??

Others like Jezza, McConville, Sheldon, Marcou, Kourkoumelis etc were not in a great team and were never going to hurt us.

Dont think the following have hurt us too much either but am happy to be corrected -
Matthew Allan, Simon Minton Connell, Peter Sartori, Warren McKenzie, Mark Porter, Shaun Grigg (definitely not), Brent Heaver , Setanta O'hailpin (but did play well), Justin Murphy, Bret Thornton, Peter Rohde.

Thats about all I can remember, maybe a few older posters can give some views from the 70's or prior...

I do get this horrible feeling that Eddie Betts is going to cause us some serious concern though !!!!

Last edited:

Blues177

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Ray Byrne decided to depart Carlton early in 1978 following the dispute between his mate Robert Walls (who also left) and coach Ian Stewart.
Byrne was cleared to Collingwood and he gave the pies very good service for 6 years before he finished his career at the cattery.
As for playing in a premiership side he had no luck. He played in 4 losing grand finals '73, 79, 80, 81... started playing senior footy in 1973 when we had finished our premiership era from '68-72 and went to the pies as the blues were about to start another dynasty from '79-82.

Surely the departure that must have hurt Carlton the most was Brent Crosswell moving to Nth Melb early in the 1975 season. He ended up playing several more good seasons and was best on ground in the grand final for North in their 1975 premiership win.
Meanwhile Carlton easily finished top 2 in 1975 and 1976 but bombed out in straight sets in the finals in both years; eliminated by the tigers by 9 points in the '75 first semi and losing to North by 1 point in the '76 prelim.
Losing Crosswell could have cost Carlton a grand final appearance, maybe even a premiership.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Cant recall a match that I have seen when one of our big name ex-players has really destroyed us in a match, I might need to think a bit harder and I am sure someone will remind me of a game or 2.

Dont think Hamill hurt us a great deal when he played us, Fev didn't and Russell certainly didn't and is not really a big name anyway, Josh Kennedy maybe at times (cringe when I see him take a contested mark), Camporeale no, Beaumont ??, Jacobs ??

Others like Jezza, McConville, Sheldon, Marcou, Kourkoumelis etc were not in a great team and were never going to hurt us.

Dont think the following have hurt us too much either but am happy to be corrected -
Matthew Allan, Simon Minton Connell, Peter Sartori, Warren McKenzie, Mark Porter, Shaun Grigg (definitely not), Brent Heaver , Setanta O'hailpin (but did play well), Justin Murphy, Bret Thornton, Peter Rohde.

Thats about all I can remember, maybe a few older posters can give some views from the 70's or prior...

I do get this horrible feeling that Eddie Betts is going to cause us some serious concern though !!!!

wait til Hammer fires up in round 2...

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I was thinking about Carlton and other footy clubs and the changes I've seen over five decades. The footy clubs use to be a community hub but with the methodical destruction of the home ground and the Victorian competition that is not the case in modern times.

Only the Cats maintain that direct link as it still plays home games. It has certainly delivered many benefits to the Cats and I imagine the Geelong footy nuts are doing the same things as 50 years ago.

I remember the many volunteers and groups who donated their time to the Carlton footy club. Selling raffle tickets, a supporter's group who had an annual dinner dance where it would award it's trophies for the season. These volunteers raised enough money to invite the Carlton players to an evening of food and drink and not many refused the invite. The Cheer Squad is an institution that has lasted the distance but I get the feeling that they are not the characters of yesteryear.

From 1967 to 1976 the Blues played in five Grand Finals and eight finals series. Away from the home ground and the change rooms decked in navy blue and white it was these people and groups who would turn up at the MCG and turn the Richmond rooms into a navy blue and white stronghold. When VFL Park opened they would turn the barren rooms under the members reserve into a navy blue and white paradise.

Now Robbo was a teenager, athletic, fit and energetic and I would accompany the volunteers and dress up the rooms. I'd be climbing ladders, blowing up balloons and sticking this and that up to cover the yellow and black and the red and blue in the other rooms to make the boys feel at home. That gaudy tiger skin and head is still fresh in the memory.

In our 150th year it would be nice for the Blues to celebrate the volunteers who have given so much to the club for free. I'm sure many of the old buggers still go the footy.:thumbsu:

SE_Blue

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves; Meath GAA
I remember when I was five years old Trent Hotton ran a handball competition down at the local shopping centre and I came first place.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Very superstitious. By nature I have a number of circumstances that I like to avoid. Black cats and ladders are examples that don't concern me greatly. I'm more concerned when someone leaves an umbrella open when inside.:eek:

I'll let you in on the evil Magpie Lark aka the Pee Wee. On game day I try not to notice the little black and white bird because to see one is bad luck and likely to end in defeat for the Blues. If I see two then I'm over the moon because two is good luck and a Carlton win.

I forgot my medication today:confused:

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Very superstitious. By nature I have a number of circumstances that I like to avoid. Black cats and ladders are examples that don't concern me greatly. I'm more concerned when someone leaves an umbrella open when inside.:eek:

I'll let you in on the evil Magpie Lark aka the Pee Wee. On game day I try not to notice the little black and white bird because to see one is bad luck and likely to end in defeat for the Blues. If I see two then I'm over the moon because two is good luck and a Carlton win.

Take a double dose tomorrow & then you will be in really good form.;)

Disturbingly insightful Robbo...just backing away slowly and avoiding eye contact! :)

Back