Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Cant recall a match that I have seen when one of our big name ex-players has really destroyed us in a match, I might need to think a bit harder and I am sure someone will remind me of a game or 2.

Dont think Hamill hurt us a great deal when he played us, Fev didn't and Russell certainly didn't and is not really a big name anyway, Josh Kennedy maybe at times (cringe when I see him take a contested mark), Camporeale no, Beaumont ??, Jacobs ??

Others like Jezza, McConville, Sheldon, Marcou, Kourkoumelis etc were not in a great team and were never going to hurt us.

Dont think the following have hurt us too much either but am happy to be corrected -
Matthew Allan, Simon Minton Connell, Peter Sartori, Warren McKenzie, Mark Porter, Shaun Grigg (definitely not), Brent Heaver , Setanta O'hailpin (but did play well), Justin Murphy, Bret Thornton, Peter Rohde.

Thats about all I can remember, maybe a few older posters can give some views from the 70's or prior...

I do get this horrible feeling that Eddie Betts is going to cause us some serious concern though !!!!

I think the big one was Greg Williams. Though he hadn't played a senior game before being delisted by us, I remember seeing him in a few reserves games and thinking "That guy looks pretty good, seems to get plenty of the ball. Who is he? (checking the record)... Hmmm... Williams..."
Thus I was a bit surprised when I heard the club had let him go. Then he goes to Geelong and the rest as they say is history.
We really didn't get him back until he was entering the twilight of his career, though at least he had a few good seasons, a premiership, a Norm Smith and a Brownlow in Navy Blue, so not a bad return. All the same, one can't help thinking with dismay of all those "lost" seasons with Diesel playing in Geelong and Swans colours. :(

University and Fitzroy still exist today. Play in the VAFA. Watched my son play against these teams. It's weird when either Uni Blues or Blacks win because the theme song is 'Lily of Laguna' and I feel like joining ino_O

I think the big one was Greg Williams. Though he hadn't played a senior game before being delisted by us, I remember seeing him in a few reserves games and thinking "That guy looks pretty good, seems to get plenty of the ball. Who is he? (checking the record)... Hmmm... Williams..."
Thus I was a bit surprised when I heard the club had let him go. Then he goes to Geelong and the rest as they say is history.
We really didn't get him back until he was entering the twilight of his career, though at least he had a few good seasons, a premiership, a Norm Smith and a Brownlow in Navy Blue, so not a bad return. All the same, one can't help thinking with dismay of all those "lost" seasons with Diesel playing in Geelong and Swans colours. :(
Sakc Hughes.

University and Fitzroy still exist today. Play in the VAFA. Watched my son play against these teams. It's weird when either Uni Blues or Blacks win because the theme song is 'Lily of Laguna' and I feel like joining ino_O

It struck me as kind of funny that Fitzroy and University are the only teams to drop/be dropped from the V/AFL and Fitzroy came back by taking over a University side. (Reds IIRC)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The passing today of Dean Bailey is a terribly sad event. Dean had been around the scene for many years but until he coached Melbourne I knew of him but not much about him. What struck me initially was his intelligent responses to questions. He was not a politician. 'Weasel words' didn't enter into his thought processes. He was about creating the right environment to develop players both on and off the field. When he wanted to have those initial chats with players he invited himself to tea. Clearly these informal sessions were not just about footy. He wanted to assess everyday activities like could they cook a meal, keep the house clean. Did they have life skills? While some may scoff at this as trivial and have a look at the results. I think this demonstrated a decency about him that's almost old world and has been missing from footy for a long time.

Bailey had integrity as well. Again you may say. Didn't he cop a suspension for tanking? I say he carried the can for the footy club,and from comments today, he wasn't bitter and liked a laugh. As my son pointed out to me on many occasions his coaching record in his last two seasons were significantly better than what followed and who knows what the future held if he continued as coach. Club Boardrooms are not noted for accepting the blame so he, like many coaches, suffered the consequence of a club looking to point the blame elsewhere.

I say the world lost a decent, thoughtful and caring person today. His family and friends are grieving his loss. In my own small way I am also sharing this loss.

I was watching Fox Footy's preview tonight and it's an obvious trip down memory lane with stellar stars like Healy, Voss and King. There's three guys who've s**t me over the years. But I digress. Sandy Roberts, the master of the banal comment, came up with "Did you see who Scott Pendlebury shook hands with as he ran out on the ground?" Cue 'what the' looks coming from Voss, Rucuitto and Maclure. "Des Tuddenham, former Collingwood captain who is going to present the game ball to the umpires". Voss and Roo, still stumped, think to themselves "Who's Des Tuddenham?". Sellars, only bloke to play against Tuddy, firmly planted tongue in cheek, "Yes, what a great player".

I have vivid memories of Tuddy on the field and as a coach. As a player and coach, he was a prick. Maclure should remember it was only his extremely hard cranium that saved him from concussion at Vic Park one day. Tuddy was the master of the accidental fore arm and lined Maclure up on the outer wing at Collingwood. Bang, crack. I swear I heard it and expected the worst. Maclure ran off giving his head a rub and Tuddy was in extreme pain having snapped the bones in his fore arm. Robbo is normally a good sport in these circumstances but not when it concerned Tuddy. I reckon they heard the cheering and clapping on the other side of the ground.

Tuddy had a crack at coaching and he wasn't a roaring success. He coached the Bombers and was so upset with a loss that he made the players crawl a lap of Windy Hill on their bellies.

Finally, TL 15. 1970 GF, deep into last quarter with Carlton behind by a point. Pack stops play and Umpire Don Jolley calls for a ball up. Brent Crosswell, ball magnet, as the ball is bounced, surveys the territory for a weakness in the opposition. He stands close to the pack in front of Des Tuddenham and the ball is palmed down to Crosswell who manages to do a 'Selwood' as Tuddy goes high in an attempt to grab the ball. Free kick to Crosswell, 30 yards out to the right of the city goals. With his slightly awkward ball drop it's never going to miss and Carlton hit the front for the first time in the match. Thanks Tuddy for being there:thumbsu:

Tuddy had a crack at coaching and he wasn't a roaring success. He coached the Bombers and was so upset with a loss that he made the players crawl a lap of Windy Hill on their bellies.

Reckon Tuddy was as tough as they come.

Fantastic footballer, shocking businessman.

As coach he got an Essendon side that finished 11th the year before, with McKenzie, Pryor, Davis and a couple of others going on 'strike' into the 5, 2 years running.

There's always the story where he broke his leg on the MCG, and still walked off the ground.

Tuddy is too good a bloke to be a Collingwood player. The Carlton past players love him. If chance permitted it he would have fitted in like a glove with the Carlton teams of the time. He would have had a few premierships to show for it.

Tuddy's son was on our list for one season, but failed to play a senior game.

I know I have mentioned this before but I saw Steve Da Rui iron out the young Tuddy at Vic Park one day in a reserves game. He got stretchered off and the noise it made still makes me ill to this day!

Steve Da Rui = Man's Man!

I know I have mentioned this before but I saw Steve Da Rui iron out the young Tuddy at Vic Park one day in a reserves game. He got stretchered off and the noise it made still makes me ill to this day!

Steve Da Rui = Man's Man!
Was wide across the shoulders, could of made the team banner message on the back of his jumper.

Played as a big bodied mid at times back in those days and certainly cleared a path for his team mates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back