Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
When Walker took to the skies
Ten years ago to the day, and 169 senior games ago, Andrew Walker quite literally launched his senior League career.

Remarkably it happened against West Coast – the team Walker’s Carlton confronts this Saturday – way back in the 5th round of 2004.

“It’s amazing that I can actually remember everything about that game even though I’m 170 games deep. I remember the crowd and just how vocal the people were,” Walker said.

“I think that was the beauty of playing at Princes Park. You knew you were a Carlton player when you played there because they were just so much more loud.”
When Walker took to the skies

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
It was a cracker of a debut and certainly one of the best that I can remember. The future looked a lot brighter as a result. I also have recollection of Chris Judd being at the peak of his powers which certainly created interest for me also. I think Jordan Bannister was his shadow that day and Juddy was reduced to a mere mortal.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I have an ANZAC Day tale of my own that has become a tradition in my house.:)

In the days before the monopolisation of ANZAC Day by Collingwood and Essendon I can remember many Carlton games played on the 25th of April. On Wednesday the 25th of April 1989 I prepared for the football and hoped Carlton would halt its terrible start to the season. Our opponent that day was Essendon and the game's venue was Princes Park. I was keen and probably waxing lyrical about the day being the start of a turnaround. Wallsey's job would be planning the assault on the finals after today.

My wife, who was heavily pregnant, looked at me and said "I don't think you're going to the footy today". Her contractions had started and she needed a driver! So.. No live footy in those days, no streaming. It was live radio with plenty of screaming (not my wife) because you had no idea what was going on or where the footy was being contested. So I covered more ground than a midfielder that day (pre GPS) as I can't sit down when listening to the footy on the radio and I was in constant dialogue with my wife given her condition.

Essendon had the better of us that day and Carlton's season would only get worse.

My wife was still hanging on as I listened to the wrap up of the game. I like to think it was either the 'Captain and the Major' on 3KZ or Harry Beitzel on 3AW with Tommy Lahiff deep in the Heatley Stand screaming down the line 'Are you there Harry?'

A phone call to the hospital around 6 suggested the driver should bring her to Maternity at the Mercy in East Melbourne. A couple of Dave McNamara place kicks from the MCG.

The drive in presented some anxious moments like slow drivers and the mandatory stop at the Brunswick Street crossing to let a couple of trains through. We arrived at the hospital at 6.30 and I was told to park the car while things were prepared. My son arrived at 8.18 and my wife called an end to more children because she feared the next one would be born in the car on the way to the hospital.

I resisted the temptation to call him ANdrew ZAChary and settled on Christopher.

My daughter Alison and Chris are serious Carlton supporters so I've fulfilled my religious duties:rolleyes:

So while the footy followers will be going silly tomorrow like they have for the past 25 years. The ANZAC Day supporters will be indulging in their annual day thanking the Armed Forces for its sacrifices. I will be celebrating my son's 25th birthday and thanking fate for allowing me to enjoy ANZAC Day in my own way:thumbsu:

Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
It was a cracker of a debut and certainly one of the best that I can remember. The future looked a lot brighter as a result. I also have recollection of Chris Judd being at the peak of his powers which certainly created interest for me also. I think Jordan Bannister was his shadow that day and Juddy was reduced to a mere mortal.
Banno did a very good job on Juddy that day, as did Karl Norman on Phil Matera (kept him to 4 disposals & 0 goals if I remember rightly).

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Very lucky free kick to Ralph, reckon it was a goal also.

Pies were lucky encroaching the 5 metre protected area behind the kicker wasn't in place back then.
Kick definitely missed. I was sitting behind the goals that day, with my younger brother & a couple of his mates (they wanted to sit behind the goals, I wanted to sit on the wing, as I always did, unfortunately I was outvoted). My initial hope was that the goal umpire may not have got a proper look at it as it was almost over the goalpost & depending on the angle, perhaps could have looked like a goal. Unfortunately the goal umpire got it spot on.

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
Kick definitely missed. I was sitting behind the goals that day, with my younger brother & a couple of his mates (they wanted to sit behind the goals, I wanted to sit on the wing, as I always did, unfortunately I was outvoted). My initial hope was that the goal umpire may not have got a proper look at it as it was almost over the goalpost & depending on the angle, perhaps could have looked like a goal. Unfortunately the goal umpire got it spot on.

I will take your word for it MSR as I wasn't at that game, went yabbying instead...:oops:

Dont mind sitting behind the goals, you see a lot more of the play unfolding ahead of the ball and the also the action behind the ball, just gets a bit too hard to make everyone out down the other end though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
I will take your word for it MSR as I wasn't at that game, went yabbying instead...:oops:

Dont mind sitting behind the goals, you see a lot more of the play unfolding ahead of the ball and the also the action behind the ball, just gets a bit too hard to make everyone out down the other end though.
That was particularly the case at VFL Park, where I felt the best place to watch the game from was standing behind the terraces on the wing, which I ended up doing the last couple of years I went out there.

As for Ralph's kick, he just tried to kick the thing too hard & lost some accuracy as a result.

That was particularly the case at VFL Park, where I felt the best place to watch the game from was standing behind the terraces on the wing, which I ended up doing the last couple of years I went out there.

As for Ralph's kick, he just tried to kick the thing too hard & lost some accuracy as a result.

As crap a ground as VFL Park was I still remember watching some ripper games out there. An ANZAC Day dame versus the Bombers was a great game with Tommy Alvin kicking one low into the wind in the last quarter to bring us home. The final against the Crows in 1993, Sticks after the siren against the Kangas in 1987 to put us on top of the ladder and Bradley's 300th against the Hawks where from memory he kicked a goal and did the airplane celebration! s**t ground but good memories! :thumbsu:

Blues177

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Add the drawn 2nd Semi Final in 1972.

Richmond's philosophy was to attack at all costs and kick a big score. It was amazing that we kept them to a goal tally of 1 goal in the first half on a dry day.

Was there, pretty sure it was at Waverley.

It was at Waverley.
The replay was at the MCG. Why the change of venue? Both the 1990 Coll/WCE finals, draw and replay, were played at Waverley.

Keyza

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I was at that game too. I still swear it was a goal, looked like it from where i was sitting.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
What I fear most is the possibility is that this is as good as it will ever get. I'm watching the Doggies at the moment. Last and first Premiership 1954, last GF 1961. I'm pretty certain that John Elliott described their history as tragic and that comment could apply to Carlton in years to come. Not having a good day today:(

Last edited:

Keyza

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
What I fear most is the possibility is that this is as good as it will ever get. I'm watching the Doggies at the moment. Last and first Premiership 1954, last GF 1961. I'm pretty certain that John Elliott described there history as tragic and that comment could apply to Carlton in years to come. Not having a good day today:(
I am sick of this group ruining my weekends.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I needed some inspiration to come up with another Down Memory Post.

It took the appointment of our new CEO to remind me of one of the greatest days of my life.

Each Wednesday a workmate gives me her copy of the Herald Sun after she's finished with it. Most of the time I go straight to the crosswords without worrying about the quality journalism contained within. The back of the paper was emblazoned with Navy Blue news albeit negative copy. Waite's leaving, Trigg's an architect of salary cap cheating.

I read Mark Robinson's article on the appointment which seemed to make light of Essendon's current controversy.
He used Jeff Kennett as support for his article. His finishing paragraph, in particular, almost made me puke.

When I think of Essendon and Jeff Kennett I think of Saturday, 18 September 1999.

The day started with doubts. I had bought tickets to attend the footy with my children then aged 14 and 10. I also knew I had to vote in the state election before going to the footy. Kennett was the punishment received for the ALP being so bad. An unelectable, arrogant, big-mouthed tyrant had been in charge for 7 years. For him to criticise Trigg for lack of governance is laughable. Anyway back to the story. I cast my vote but I cannot divulge who I voted for because it's a secret ballot;). I put on my late mum's scarf and took off hoping to win. Steve Quartermain's prediction of a 70 point defeat fired me up for the battle.

I'm not going to run through the four quarters but we had seats about 15 rows back around the forward pocket up the Punt Rd end. We had a great view of the intensity of the game and the desperate deeds of the boys in Navy Blue. When the siren went I remember two things that will stick with me forever. That day immediately after the game the Carlton fans were like one huge family. Hugging and kissing strangers in Navy Blue seemed normal. The other thing that sticks in my mind was being with my children. I looked them in the eye and said "Take a good look around you and remember what you're seeing. It's a day you'll never forget".

A good friend of mine has his birthday on this day. We always get together on birthdays and a large percentage of us are Carlton supporters including my friend. To say the atmosphere was euphoric is an understatement. What's the word for double euphoric?

Several TVs were on and the results from the election were coming through. Now the night was like Don's Party except my mate is John. I should add that the large percentage of Blues fans are Labor voters as well. As it became obvious that the Wicked Warlock of the East was going down the atmosphere had gone beyond double euphoric. We didn't know whether to sing 'We are the Navy Blues' or 'The Internationale'.

Deep down I can still find the feelings I experienced that great day.

Thanks Mark Robinson, you twerp:mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back