Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

The Carlton mosquito fleet of the late 70/ early 80"s were a devastating swarm that used to take games away from visiting teams ( or sometimes home teams in Hawthorns case ) in the manner of a pumped up 82nd Airborne. My painful memories of Princes Park matches against the Blues run in this order.

1. Arrive at ground, notice straight away the crowd is roughly double the usual roll up for a hawk game at the ground not involving the Blues
2. Squeeze into a spot at the University end with the foreboding dread that comes with having seen this all before.
3. Watch Carlton players warming up and kid myself they look a little casual. Today may be different.
4. Enjoy the intensity of the game and the fact the Hawks are more than matching the Blues across the ground. Head for a half time pie happy with the hard earned 15 lead. This will be a great win if they can keep it going.
5. Watch as helplessly as the players as Carlton bang home 10 goals in 25 minutes to the Heatley Stand end. It always seemed to be that end. Marcou,Johnston,Sheldon,Ashman and Buckley absolutely tear the Hawks a new one. Marclure and Bosustow take full toll on a shell shocked back line. The whole quarter seems to be played at one end. Hawks simply cannot get hands on ball. It all happened so quickly it's like a brief nightmare. Look up at scoreboard as timekeepers have mercy on us and blow siren. Big yellow numbers indicate Blues take a 40 point lead to their huddle in front of the standing O at the Carlton end. Game over.
6. Blues ease the blitzkrieg but still win the last quarter. Marclure and the boys head to the social club with the standard 50 point win. The theme song is played five times in a row just to rub it in.

Jump on a tram packed with Carlton fans. They all seem very happy but not in an excited way. More like the way Peter Moody would react after Black Caviar would win a race. Pleased with run but fully expecting the result. I look enviously at these Blue Baggers. They are in the middle of a golden period and know it. Princes Park is the biggest fortress in the VFL. I have great admiration for any side that can come here and win.

Just off top of my head

- Buzz's mark vs Geel I was right behind the goals with my mom
- Braddles goal vs WC that was maybe my single greatest football high
- Minton Connell goal
- Kouta going berserk vs Swans he was everywhere it was a joke really people were laughing he was so dominant, think that was the game Lyon said it was man vs boys
- Judds first intra club game ha he had three touches in the first five seconds
- Diesels infamous 44 touch no Brownlow game Jesus he had eyes behind his head firing off handballs hitting blind targets
- not a Blues memory per se but I stood behind goals when Geel ruckman Barnes fell and broke his arm I believe I saw bone sticking out of his arm

That's about it off the top of my head anyhow

A game that stands out is in 95 North thought they were challengers and in a HnA game we kicked 8-10 goals in first quarter to blow them away

Also same year there was a good game vs Geel a tight tussle

The Carlton mosquito fleet of the late 70/ early 80"s were a devastating swarm that used to take games away from visiting teams ( or sometimes home teams in Hawthorns case ) in the manner of a pumped up 82nd Airborne. My painful memories of Princes Park matches against the Blues run in this order.

1. Arrive at ground, notice straight away the crowd is roughly double the usual roll up for a hawk game at the ground not involving the Blues
2. Squeeze into a spot at the University end with the foreboding dread that comes with having seen this all before.
3. Watch Carlton players warming up and kid myself they look a little casual. Today may be different.
4. Enjoy the intensity of the game and the fact the Hawks are more than matching the Blues across the ground. Head for a half time pie happy with the hard earned 15 lead. This will be a great win if they can keep it going.
5. Watch as helplessly as the players as Carlton bang home 10 goals in 25 minutes to the Heatley Stand end. It always seemed to be that end. Marcou,Johnston,Sheldon,Ashman and Buckley absolutely tear the Hawks a new one. Marclure and Bosustow take full toll on a shell shocked back line. The whole quarter seems to be played at one end. Hawks simply cannot get hands on ball. It all happened so quickly it's like a brief nightmare. Look up at scoreboard as timekeepers have mercy on us and blow siren. Big yellow numbers indicate Blues take a 40 point lead to their huddle in front of the standing O at the Carlton end. Game over.
6. Blues ease the blitzkrieg but still win the last quarter. Marclure and the boys head to the social club with the standard 50 point win. The theme song is played five times in a row just to rub it in.

Jump on a tram packed with Carlton fans. They all seem very happy but not in an excited way. More like the way Peter Moody would react after Black Caviar would win a race. Pleased with run but fully expecting the result. I look enviously at these Blue Baggers. They are in the middle of a golden period and know it. Princes Park is the biggest fortress in the VFL. I have great admiration for any side that can come here and win.

I was at at least one of those. I might have even been one of those Carlton fans on the tram.
The worm has certainly turned now though, hasn't it mate? :rolleyes:

Brilliant! And to the letter except for the times Peter Knights would go psycho and get them up. :thumbsu:

Was there the day Heaver snapped his leg in half, felt violently ill as I was hooking into my third superdog for the day!
Your heaving had nothing to do with Heaver's leg snap..........

I played in the little league lol
I remember it so well. As we were getting ready in the Carlton rooms during the second quarter Richard Dennis came in on a stretcher after doing his knee. Wayne Johnston did his knee that day too. We were 41 points down at half time and came back and won it.

Carlton vs Geelong
ROUND: 13 VENUE: PRINCES PARK DATE: SAT, 23-06-1990 2:10 PM ATTENDANCE: 29,571
Carlton 2.3.15 4.6.30 13.12.90 18.15.123
C: Alex Jesaulenko
Geelong 3.7.25 9.17.71 10.23.83 13.26.104 C: Malcolm Blight
GEEL by 10 GEEL by 41 CARL by 7 CARL by 19
Brownlow Medal
3 Dominic Fotia (CA) 2 Ian Herman (CA) 1 Tony Malakellis (GE)

Little League - that is pure Gold!! Great work, N79. Here I was being Emil the Detective in the Blueseum archives!!:D:thumbsu:

Dominic Fotia!

I played one game for Carlton too, in the LL, but it was at Waverley against Fitzroy. I'm showing my age by saying that as I was walking onto the ground I walked past Bruce Doull, Micky Conlan and Bernie Quinlan and just could not believe how huge these blokes looked compared to scrawny little ol me lol.

Was there at that Neale Daniher game in 1981......gone on about it enough.

Probably the best game I saw at Princes Park we lost to North in '79, 40 odd thousand shoe horned into the ground, Harmes smashed one up the Heatley Stand end sending Percy into convulsions, who then took 2 huge park marks for goals and seemingly the game, then bloody Glenndinning turns up and pinches it from us with near on the last kick of the game.

The 1980 game v Collingwood on the long weekend was a ripper. Another huge crowd. Billy Picken and Maclure put on a pantomime show, Billy gets a free, argues with Sellars, gets a 15 metre penalty, handballs it straight to Sellars standing the mark, who waltzes in for a sausage.

Same game Bomba Sheldon utterly coathangered Wearmouth in front of the Gardiner Stand, knocked him cold......turns up at the tribunal and his advocate uses the "Go easy on him, his wife is expecting and doesn't need a shock" defence.

We won by the way.

In those days we used to regularly get 40k into the ground, yet for some baffling reason, gate takings were N/A. Maybe the ticket machine broke.

I played in the little league lol
I remember it so well. As we were getting ready in the Carlton rooms during the second quarter Richard Dennis came in on a stretcher after doing his knee. Wayne Johnston did his knee that day too. We were 41 points down at half time and came back and won it.

Carlton vs Geelong
ROUND: 13 VENUE: PRINCES PARK DATE: SAT, 23-06-1990 2:10 PM ATTENDANCE: 29,571
Carlton 2.3.15 4.6.30 13.12.90 18.15.123
C: Alex Jesaulenko
Geelong 3.7.25 9.17.71 10.23.83 13.26.104 C: Malcolm Blight
GEEL by 10 GEEL by 41 CARL by 7 CARL by 19
Brownlow Medal
3 Dominic Fotia (CA) 2 Ian Herman (CA) 1 Tony Malakellis (GE)

Was there that fine day too. Ablett dropped 3 or 4 mark of the years that day a couple on about the fourth attempt from heights I'd never seen a player get to - An old bag from Geelong whacked me with an umbrella that day - I got a little chirpy when we hit the front.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was there at that Neale Daniher game in 1981......gone on about it enough.
Was also there Stig, and remember Fitzpatrick taking a mark with a few minutes to go. Wanting to slow things down I remember him leaning forward, looking around, taking his time, and then fmd the umpire blows the whistle and instead of balling it up or calling play-on, he takes the ball off him and pays a free kick to Essendon!

Anyways, we might've lost the game but we won the Premiership 5 weeks later. :thumbsu:

Was there when Jezza got collected by that ratbag Magro. Also, the game when Fitzy was trying to run the clock down against Essendon in the last quarter and was penalised for time wasting and then Daniher kicked the last 2 goals to win the game. Was there when they wore the pale blue M&M jumper and saw Micky McGuane play for Carlton.

I saw Magro clean up Jezza that day too. He took off very early and had a full set of steam the prick with one intention only, everyone could see it coming bar Jezza. It was bloody hostile straight after. They lifted for him though, especially the mosquito fleet. I remember one of them, I think Marcou putting one through late sinking the pricks and some random fellow blue putting his arm around me simultaneously as my old man and them both ruffling my beanie in celebration. Good times, good memories. My hate for the filth was cemented for life that day.

Was also there Stig, and remember Fitzpatrick taking a mark with a few minutes to go. Wanting to slow things down I remember him leaning forward, looking around, taking his time, and then fmd the umpire blows the whistle and instead of balling it up or calling play-on, he takes the ball off him and pays a free kick to Essendon!

Anyways, we might've lost the game but we won the Premiership 5 weeks later. :thumbsu:
Umpire Ian Robinson made the call, very rare players were pinged back then for time wasting. Dad had to restrain me from assaulting an exuberant old lady in red and black. Was the only day I ever threw my beany on the ground and jumped on it. Heady, happy days........

But what was the little league score?

48 point turnaround in the third? F me. Premiership quarter, right there...
Was there that day also, Silvagni either played forward or was swung there after half time and kicked a great left foot goal on the run in the 3rd that day.

The turn around was amazing, Jezza must of really revved them up at half time, in fact we were lucky to be only 41 points down at half time after Geelong kicked atrociously in the 2nd quarter with a big wind behind them.

Most notable one for me (wasn't allowed to go the footy till I was 16) was Milburn taking out SOS. Finally over it now, but hated Milburn for over 12 years, but I finally realized hate is a toxic emotion that poisons the body and soul, if I saw Milburn walk past me on the street, I'd probably say hello, life's too short to carry grudges

Most notable one for me (wasn't allowed to go the footy till I was 16) was Milburn taking out SOS. Finally over it now, but hated Milburn for over 12 years, but I finally realized hate is a toxic emotion that poisons the body and soul, if I saw Milburn walk past me on the street, I'd probably say hello, life's too short to carry grudges
DVB didn't you watch Karate Kid. No mercy Sensai!!!

DVB didn't you watch Karate Kid. No mercy Sensai!!!

LOL. Wax on, Wax off was a big part of my childhood.

Seriously mate, i have come to realise that there is moments when you just have to let go, and the Milburn/SOS incident is one of those.

For instance, for many years i harboured a bitter hate and recriminations against someone who wronged me as a child/vulnerable point in my life, but 2 years ago, i realized all that bitter rage was crippling me and holding me back, so i made a psychological decision to forgive that person and let bygones be bygones, and i felt unburdened/free for the first time in nearly 20 years.

Its obviously not the same as the SOS/Milburn incident, but i think forgiveness and/or compassion is good for the soul and/or psyche (depending on your own belief system)

Yeah Milburn was a dick, and was bit of a goose in baiting the fans afterwards, but I firmly believe its time, we as passionate fans, let it go. The world is dark and hate filled enough as it is.

Apologizes for that sermon, but in my heart, I just feel so passionately about the concept of forgiveness, hope I wasn't too extreme about it :)

Rnd 3 Carlton vs Hawthorn 1993 Sticks with the winner after the siren the week after he missed against Essendope*. Awesome feeling driving home back to the country with a car full of Hawks supporters after that game :)

One of the more harrowing memories is of a young Warren Tredrea absolutely tearing us a new one. I'd never heard of him before and he was marking absolutely everything and kicked what seemed like about 14 goals (think it was in reality more like 7 or 8) before getting stretchered off with a knee injury.

I seriously felt like I'd witnessed something shocking that day, Carlton were simply powerless to stop him.

A lot of memories, most have been mentioned already, but I do like this one for some reason, 95 we played Footscray or Hawthorn I think and kicked 10 in the first quarter, just a ruthless awesome display, I don't know why I picked that one out of the many I watched over the years, the farewell game still saddens me, a part of who we are died that day.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back