Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a night at the Palais with my wife enjoying the music of my youth.

The Twilights
The Groop
Axiom
Jo jo Zep and the Falcons
Little River Band

The Good Times tour rolled into Melbourne with Brian Cadd, Glenn Shorrock, Kate Ceberano and Joe Camellieri.
It still amazes me that these guys and girl are still so good.

There are tenuous links to Carlton and it's current plight.

"Like trying to find a needle in a haystack" which is an obvious reference to our current state.
"Love don't live here anymore" which covers a great deal of the comment on BF.
"Don't you know it's magic" which was an obvious reference to all the freakish Carlton players over the years.
"Hit and run" which was always my favourite tactic to use on the opposition to distract them from playing footy.

Wilbur Wilde spent a fair bit of the night on stage. A sax blast off with Joe. * I miss good sax.

The encore song, Spectrum's 'I'll be gone", a tribute to when all you needed was harmonica, a dum to dum bass line, bugger all lyrics and mind altering substances.

Had a night at the Palais with my wife enjoying the music of my youth.

The Twilights
The Groop
Axiom
Jo jo Zep and the Falcons
Little River Band

The Good Times tour rolled into Melbourne with Brian Cadd, Glenn Shorrock, Kate Ceberano and Joe Camellieri.
It still amazes me that these guys and girl are still so good.

There are tenuous links to Carlton and it's current plight.

"Like trying to find a needle in a haystack" which is an obvious reference to our current state.
"Love don't live here anymore" which covers a great deal of the comment on BF.
"Don't you know it's magic" which was an obvious reference to all the freakish Carlton players over the years.
"Hit and run" which was always my favourite tactic to use on the opposition to distract them from playing footy.

Wilbur Wilde spent a fair bit of the night on stage. A sax blast off with Joe. **** I miss good sax.

The encore song, Spectrum's 'I'll be gone", a tribute to when all you needed was harmonica, a dum to dum bass line, bugger all lyrics and mind altering substances.

I would argue that we are yet to even find the haystack Robbo!!

I think I may have posted this before but oh well, this game is probably my favorite in recent memory. The ability to show some guts and determination was very un-Carltonlike. I honestly had tears of joy after the game. The following game against Richmond was always gonna be a formality, it was never in doubt imo, but this second half was the perfect example of how we should be playing and how we can play.

Jesus

Brings a tear to the eye.....and I'm not joking
I even fist pumped for the first time watching footy this year

Cmon boys lift!!!!!!

Okay, time to warm up a bitterly cold Melbourne afternoon.

Who is your favourite from the Carlton Mosquito fleet of the 80's, apologies if I have missed any and feel free to add...

Jim Buckley.
Ken Sheldon.
Barry Armstrong.
Alex Marcou.
Rod Ashman.
Trevor Keogh.
David Glascott.
Phil Maylin.
Wayne Johnston.
Vinny Catoggio.

I was a huge fan of the number 34 in the long sleeves, well balanced, quick and skilful. I am going with Marcou as my all time favourite even though he was nowhere near the best!

Who is your favourite from the Carlton Mosquito fleet of the 80's, apologies if I have missed any and feel free to add...

Jim Buckley.
Ken Sheldon.
Barry Armstrong.
Alex Marcou.
Rod Ashman.
Trevor Keogh.
David Glascott.
Phil Maylin.
Wayne Johnston.
Vinny Catoggio.

I was a huge fan of the number 34 in the long sleeves, well balanced, quick and skilful. I am going with Marcou as my all time favourite even though he was nowhere near the best!
Wayne harmes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably Glascott or Maylin. For wingers they often drove us forward and kicked timely goals. Both unlikely looking types. Glascott a runt, Phil a redheaded soup-strainer on legs over from Woodville I think, the club Blight came from. Consistent and reliable.

The Dominator. He was brilliant in the '79 GF however he won me over with his 7 goal game at Victoria Park in Round 1 the following season. He went on to become one of our greatest finals players of all time (best I've seen) & could easily have won 3 Norm Smith Medals (he was definitely robbed in 1982).

Jim Buckley.
Ken Sheldon.
Barry Armstrong.
Alex Marcou.
Rod Ashman.
Trevor Keogh.
David Glascott.
Phil Maylin.
Wayne Johnston.
Vinny Catoggio.

Trevor Keogh because he thrashed Kevin Sheedy in the 1972 grand final.

I'm old enough to remember the culture that made the Carlton Football Club a successful team on and off the field. It was about talent, loyalty, ruthlessness and a touch of skulduggery. These were the traits required of the coaches, players, administrations and committees. All supporters needed to do was turn up and watch the boys play. Most of the time it was a worthwhile experience. For five decades I have been a loyal supporter despite the recent barren years. I think the last two years have hurt me more than I care to admit. Whatever we stood for in the past has been flushed away with the departure of a number of senior players who think it's better to be elsewhere. We've had the unedifying departure of Mick Malthouse. His behaviour was appalling and the actions of the president and the ceo were equally unprofessional. Now we sit on the bottom of the ladder with membership under 47,000. Who knows how many members next year? We are now a laughing stock. Is that our culture? Pretty hard to argue against it.

I'm old enough to remember the culture that made the Carlton Football Club a successful team on and off the field. It was about talent, loyalty, ruthlessness and a touch of skulduggery. These were the traits required of the coaches, players, administrations and committees. All supporters needed to do was turn up and watch the boys play. Most of the time it was a worthwhile experience. For five decades I have been a loyal supporter despite the recent barren years. I think the last two years have hurt me more than I care to admit. Whatever we stood for in the past has been flushed away with the departure of a number of senior players who think it's better to be elsewhere. We've had the unedifying departure of Mick Malthouse. His behaviour was appalling and the actions of the president and the ceo were equally unprofessional. Now we sit on the bottom of the ladder with membership under 47,000. Who knows how many members next year? We are now a laughing stock. Is that our culture? Pretty hard to argue against it.
Right on, RMH. 100% spot on for mine too.
WTF has happened to this once mighty club? We have a schizen load of work to do to even be competitive for the next couple of seasons. I will remain a member until end of 2017. After that, if the penny still has not dropped and clear direction is in place, it will be farewell from NC. Stick a fork in my arse cos I'm nearly done. I don't mind losing, missing out on the finals etc- I just cant stand watching Carlton wallow around like this. Call me what you will- fair weather supporter, passenger and all that crap, I don't give a rats toss bag!! The heart, soul and spirit has been ripped out of Princes Park and this is overwhelming. I cant stand the AFL Board, MRC and rule changes, but more hurtful is watching my beloved Blues continue to slowly drift further and further up s**t creek.

Robbo's my hero I agree with your post but I can't bring myself to click the 'like' button.

I can't remember ever being so disillusioned with the club. I don't look forward to the footy, and it's not because we're losing, it's because of the whole stink around the club. If we lose but give 100% and all the players bleed for the jumper, fine. It is what it is. But if we lose and it's laconic and careless and I'm more upset than the players...I just can't cop that.

Robbo's my hero I agree with your post but I can't bring myself to click the 'like' button.

I can't remember ever being so disillusioned with the club. I don't look forward to the footy, and it's not because we're losing, it's because of the whole stink around the club. If we lose but give 100% and all the players bleed for the jumper, fine. It is what it is. But if we lose and it's laconic and careless and I'm more upset than the players...I just can't cop that.
Spoken like a true Blue MEB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back