Computers & Internet Downloading crackdown

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
HOUSEHOLDS that download pirate movies, TV shows, music and other content might face “graduated warnings” that could lead to their internet service being suspended.
The radical option has been floated by the Federal Government as it considers a crackdown on what it called the scourge of online piracy.
Internet providers could also be forced by the courts to block websites that allow people to illegally download content. Australians are reportedly among the biggest users of pirate websites.
Federal Attorney-General George Brandis said piracy was theft that was putting at risk the future of creative industries, which account for 8 per cent of Aussie jobs and 6 per cent of the economy.
Senator Brandis, who is also Arts Minister, said it was important to protect copyright to make sure those who take on the risk of creating work are properly rewarded for their abilities and efforts.
“The illegal downloading of Australian films online is a form of theft,” he said.
“As is the illegal downloading of any protected content.”
The government is in the early stages of considering what changes to make and has not determined what action to take or what penalties might apply.
Senator Brandis said he was concerned that the success of Baz Luhrmann’s film The Great Gatsby “can lead to piracy of the film, placing the sustainability of our screen industry at risk”.
One option is for the Government to provide a “legal incentive for an internet service provider to co-operate with copyright owners”.
This may include looking carefully at the merits of a scheme whereby ISPs are required to issue graduated warnings to consumers who are using websites to facilitate piracy,” he said in a speech to the Australian Digital Alliance Copyright Forum.
Senator Brandis said the government could give the Federal Court explicit powers to have third-party injunctions that forced internet providers to “take down websites hosting infringing content”.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/na...vie-tv-downloads/story-fni0xqrb-1226827578533

...hand it over to you BFr's for your thoughts and wisdoms...

Crackdownfinalbox.jpg

It was pretty decent, man. You'll have a good time.

I heard Brad Pitt's living off stale bread and water.

We must stop stealing movies.
I heard that Bear Grylls has resorted to drinking his own piss. Piracy is a truly awful thing.

“The illegal downloading of Australian films online is a form of theft,” he said.

Australian films? Yeah, sure, do whatever the hell you want, government. :thumbsu:

Seriously though, if we can't get Netflix over here, or networks won't broadcast shows within a reasonable timeframe after they air overseas, why the f*** should we abide by the existing structure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that worried personally. They close one door and some one will open another. The only way to stop piracy is to give us a way to pay an acceptable fee for what we want. Would be interested to see who profits from this. My first thought is Foxtel and Murdoch.

If I can't download it cheap/free then I just won't watch it and the industry will still miss out. In fact the industry would miss out more because then I wouldn't even be able to talk about or advertise that the movie was worth watching etc. Time for the government to move into the 21st century.

I can't recall the last time I downloaded anything Australian.
Maybe Packed to the Rafters for the ex missus, but it's not like she had to pay for that anyway and you could watch it through channel 7's shitty website for free.

I think it is about time to crackdown on this illegal download and piracy culture, but as encouragement, the government should also allow Netflix availability, legally and fairly.

Mind you, there are ways to access Netflix anyway, but wevs.

It's beholdent for the media industry to treat consumers with something slightly more than contempt in their programming. If they're concerned that people are downloading their programs, then they should show them and not wait until "after the tennis".The ABC have showed with Doctor Who that if you show an episode similtaneously or near as possible to it's premiering overseas than it will rate. People aren't blind to the implications of downloading, but the media industry needs to realise that this is not a one way street.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back