Computers & Internet Downloading crackdown

Remove this Banner Ad

I should add, by the way, that I rarely watch tv programs (on account of they are at best a distraction and at worst blatant mind control). I have never seen an episode of 'Game of Thrones' and do not plan to. I haven't downloaded a copy of a computer program in my entire adult life; I generally just use open source stuff like LibreOffice, GIMP etc. I have however downloaded a few films which could just as easily have been borrowed from the library. My point is that this isn't a matter of justifying my own behaviour. This is a matter of common sense, and if you support multi billion dollar companies riding roughshod over your own legal system, you haven't got any common sense, son.

'I pay money for something I could get for free, I'm a good boy, I'm a good boy, mummy aren't I a good boy?'

Lol.

The Stockholm Syndrome required for people to feel sympathy for multi billion dollar media conglomerates is hard to fathom. But here, in this thread, you can see it.

'I want my taxes to be used on police and courtrooms to stop people from copying digital files from one another. Because otherwise billion dollar companies won't make as much money.'

How absurd. Seriously. You people are like zombies to me. I love you as humans but cannot relate to you as adults. Because in my mind you are not an adult. You are a brainwashed child who cannot critically think.
I wouldn't expect any less from you. If BF was a piece of literature, you'd be one of the flattest character constructions on here.

'I pay money for something I could get for free, I'm a good boy, I'm a good boy, mummy aren't I a good boy?'

Lol.

The Stockholm Syndrome required for people to feel sympathy for multi billion dollar media conglomerates is hard to fathom. But here, in this thread, you can see it.

'I want my taxes to be used on police and courtrooms to stop people from copying digital files from one another. Because otherwise billion dollar companies won't make as much money.'

How absurd. Seriously. You people are like zombies to me. I love you as humans but cannot relate to you as adults. Because in my mind you are not an adult. You are a brainwashed child who cannot critically think.
How about piracy of small-studio and independent films? I can't see how an 'adult' could justify that as anything other than stealing...

The crux of the argument is the one download = one lost sale notion which the film companies stand by.
Yep. Which is a bit of a stretch when the only way for me to get legal access to some of the shows I watch is to buy DVD's of the entire season about a year after it airs.

To expect people to buy a DVD of a show they've never seen to try it out and then continue to buy the seasons well after they've been aired (and in this global environment, spoiled) is nothing short of ridiculous.

I didn't realize it wasn't stealing if the person/company is rich.
Exactly, the differentiation is irrelevant. Stealing is stealing, and when it involves non-essentials that are available to us legally and affordably, then I have little to no sympathy.
Not being able to talk in-depth about something with some of your internet friends for a short period, or in other words FOMO, is a weak excuse. It does not justify theft and piracy.

So now I'm going to have to walk to Vic Market to get my pirated movies and tv shows?

bastards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about piracy of small-studio and independent films? I can't see how an 'adult' could justify that as anything other than stealing...
'Stealing' as in 'theft'? You've got to be kidding me.

By making a copy of something, you deprive the original creator of nothing. So it is nothing like theft/'stealing' - no matter who is the original creator. This is a false equivalence pushed by vested interests and the thinking man ought to laugh at it. It is truly laughable.

And those small-studio/independent producers are NOT the ones whose lobbying will see our police and courts used against us to protect their profits. That lobbying is done by the highly-concentrated multi billion dollar media empires.

By making a copy of something, you deprive the original creator of nothing. So it is nothing like theft/'stealing' - no matter who is the original creator. This is a false equivalence pushed by vested interests and the thinking man ought to laugh at it. It is truly laughable.

And those small-studio/independent producers are NOT the ones whose lobbying will see our police and courts used against us to protect their profits. That lobbying is done by the highly-concentrated multi billion dollar media empires.
Spot on. And in fact there are many small bands and the like that give away their stuff for free, be it on soundcloud, youtube or spotify. I'd hazard a guess that most bands would make most of their money from merch and gig tickets these days.

Asking someone to pay for something they can get for free is never, ever going to work.

Not every person who would seek out a pirated copy would be willing to purchase a copy if no other option were available, but a percentage would. Those people are depriving the rights holders of royalties from their work.

They are equally vulnerable. You can't fence them off from the big studios/record labels.

Asking someone to pay for something they can get for free is never, ever going to work.

What if, God forbid, a band wish to make money for their work?

Not every person who would seek out a pirated copy would be willing to purchase a copy if no other option were available, but a percentage would. Those people are depriving the rights holders of royalties from their work.
Which people? How do you qualify/quantify?

And who is 'depriving' anybody of anything? If I choose not to purchase item x, am I 'depriving' the seller of item x of anything? Of course not. What an absurd claim.

What if, God forbid, a band wish to make money for their work?
Play gigs and sell the t-shirts.

How can you expect people to afford to pay 20-30 bucks for every album they want to listen to? I'd be broke if that was the case. I purchase CDs for bands/albums I really like so I can play them in my car, and I pay 10 or so bucks a month for a spotify premium account so I can listen to whatever I want, whenever I want.

There are quite a few bands I've found online and subsequently gone on to see their shows that I never would have had I not pirated them. I no that's not a justification for piracy in and of itself but it's a by-product that I think is a positive thing for artists.

I can understand your point though, especially when it comes to the smaller artists. But there's really no avoiding the internet - the problem isn't going to go away.

Which people? How do you qualify/quantify?

And who is 'depriving' anybody of anything? If I choose not to purchase item x, am I 'depriving' the seller of item x of anything? Of course not. What an absurd claim.

If you'd be willing to purchase and album, but find an avenue to download it for free, clearly the people that hold the rights to the album/song/movie (including the artists) is deprived of the revenue if you choose the free option. How is that arguable?

I can understand your point though, especially when it comes to the smaller artists. But there's really no avoiding the internet - the problem isn't going to go away.

Of course, and some artists find ways to use it. I just find it strange some people assert a right to download the work of others for free rather than acknowledging they are bypassing a system that is designed to pay everyone that invested in the work. You can shake your fist at a multinational record label or film studio, but they keep a whole range of people in employment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back