Computers & Internet Downloading crackdown

Remove this Banner Ad

You do nothing but attack the man - in the post you were 'attacked' over you called people zombies and brainwashed children ffs.

I once pointed out that if he wanted the personal attacks in replys to stop, perhaps he should stop attacking posters.

I was soon after accused of being a shill.

The irony was not lost on me.

Hmm, not sure I agree with that. Artists can do their work out of love and passion, but love and passion doesn't pay bills. And that's the reality of it.
So let's use taxpayers money to fund police and courtrooms to prosecute people who share digital data with one another over the internet.

You've got to be kidding me.

If you're going out and download instead of buying stuff when it is readily available to you, there's no real justification there; you're just doing it for your own convenience. I'm not saying don't do it, or that you should feel bad about it, but at least own up to the truth.

I do this. I spend less than * all on 'entertainment' such as movies, TV shows and music. I will probably have to reconsider the way I do this in the future.Unfortunate that this is being supported yet plenty of young artists fall by the wayside. We make fortunes for our own sport-stars, why isn't the same support there for our artists..

I'm not going to spend money on things made by superstars. I support local industries I guess, I'm more than happy to buy a CD and what not off local artists just trying to make ends meet. I have actually helped support state-wide film festivals before. But when I can conveniently, easily download some form of mega world-reaching entertainment for free and without needing to take up space (i.e. don't need a rack or drawer or anything) I'm going to do so. Call me a dick, don't care won't care.

You can't get Netflix in Australia? I never knew that.

I don't really bother downloading. Occasionally a friend gets some movies for me but if I bother watching TV I just watch cable or pay for stuff though 'on-demand'.

Nope. We get zilch. Can't even watch TV shows on their own websites sometimes because of the "this video is not available in your country".

And then we're terrible for not wanting to overpay for Murdoch's stuff or buy an overpriced DVD from JB HI-FI...

And yet when the dictionary comes out ('deprive') we see this is clearly not the case.

'You wouldn't steal a car.' Gobble gobble gobble.

Lol.
Huh? Why are you typing 'Gobble gobble gobble'?

I'm trying to have a debate with you because I think we have a difference of opinion but apparently that makes me a turkey. And you accuse me of throwing epithets around...

I don't think dictionary definition of 'deprive' proved that it was 'clearly not the case'. Besides which, I'm speaking to my own personal values, not those prescribed to me by the all-mighty dictionary.

I should add that I find the whole 'we dont want to pay for it because we have to wait x period of time or pay y amount more than other countries' argument invalid and a red herring.

I don't care if things are released sooner here for cheaper prices, the central point remains this:

COPYING IS NOT THEFT.

Period. Following from this:

OUR POLICE/COURTS SHOULD NOT BE USED TO PROSECUTE DIGITAL FILE-SHARING 'PIRACY'.

Any other argument is a waste of time.

JD11 You are normally a good poster but on this issue you have a vested financial interest which is clouding your judgement. Your social circle is likely made up of people with similar vested financial interests which often leads to groupthink.

"JD, you actually have a vague clue about what you are talking about, whereas I'm mostly talking out of my arse, so please be quiet."

Nope. We get zilch. Can't even watch TV shows on their own websites sometimes because of the "this video is not available in your country".

And then we're terrible for not wanting to overpay for Murdoch's stuff or buy an overpriced DVD from JB HI-FI...

getflix.com.au

Technically a violation of Netflix ToS, but they 100% do not care at the moment.

Reducing my interest in the sustainability of the arts to purely financial is a bit cynical, but whatever.

You didn't answer any of my questions. Lol.

I did answer it. "These people" as italicised by you refer to people who have a choice between buying the item or sourcing it for free and choose the free option.

You spend a good portion of your time on this site not answering questions, so lets not get too precious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good question. Deserves its own thread. Tag me in once you have created it :thumbsu:

It's the crux of this thread, so why not discuss it here?

Back in the day a band would produce a record, and people would buy said record. You could listen to it by yourself, play it at a party, lend it to friends etc.

Technology evolved, and we began to copy tapes, CDs and DVDs before inventing digital media. It's obviously a lot easier to copy an MPG than it is to produce a vinyl record in your backyard.

It's a massive grey area.

You have always been able to access creative media for free. Songs come on the radio, TV shows and movies come on TV etc.. People paid for the convenience of being able to listen to songs whenever they want and watch movies whenever they want. The reality is people want the same convenience (more actually) and just don't want to pay for it. I don't get why people can't just admit that.

I dont want to pay for it in the archaic business model. I can happily admit to that.

Idea. Catch up with the rest of the world before you expect premium prices for shitty products.

So... don't?

People have a warped sense of entitlement with this s**t.

I agree 100% that media distributors are lagging trend followers rather than trend setters, but the 'business model' people support is essentially 'everything for free straight away'.

Back in the day a band would produce a record, and people would buy said record...

You have always been able to access creative media for free. Songs come on the radio, TV shows and movies come on TV etc.. People paid for the convenience of being able to listen to songs whenever they want and watch movies whenever they want.
Exactly. Once upon a time people paid for a physical thing, even though they could get the 'intellectual property' for free, because they preferred the convenience the physical thing afforded them.

Now they don't need that physical thing, so some don't want to pay any money. They are still getting the 'intellectual property' for free but now at their own convenience.

Exactly. Once upon a time people paid for a physical thing, even though they could get the 'intellectual property' for free, because they preferred the convenience the physical thing afforded them.

Now they don't need that physical thing, so some don't want to pay any money. They are still getting the 'intellectual property' for free but now at their own convenience.

There is a substantial difference between owning an MP3 and hearing a song on the radio in the car.

In the 90s when you were taping tapes and burning copies of CDs was that any different to sharing digital files? You paid $1 for a blank CD (physical thing) rather than the $25 real version from Sanity but the net result was about the same.

The value of the physical thing storing digital media relative the intellectual property contained is minimal. I've worked on extensive reports issued to clients that have paid tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in technical services for. They aren't paying for paper or a CD, they're paying for IP. I've seen some issued in a 200 page volume and others issued via CD, or even transmitted via FTP if the file size is small enough. Whatever the content matter, it doesn't suddenly become free to circulate just because it's a PDF.

Have you watched 'Shake It Off' on Youtube yet? Oh, Taylor.:hearts: Well 195 million others have. Anytime on any device with a data connection and web browser or Youtube app you can not only hear the song but see the video clip. A bit more convenient than waiting to see what will be #1 on rage and Video Hits on Saturday morning. Free, too. We have Spotify, we have digital radio stations, we have plenty of things available to stream and even legally download. Not enough though, is it? Make no mistake about it, people still want the 'physical thing'. They just want it in the form of MB on their electronic devices rather than discs/tapes/vinyl etc. And they want it for free.

Nowhere in that rambling mess do you address my point.

In fact I am not sure even you know what point you are trying to make now.

If people want the physical CD/DVD they can and will pay for it.

If however people just want the 1s and 0s they can work together to share them for free.

Nothing is stolen, nobody is deprived.

Nowhere in that rambling mess do you address my point.

In fact I am not sure even you know what point you are trying to make now.

If people want the physical CD/DVD they can and will pay for it.

If however people just want the 1s and 0s they can work together to share them for free.

Nothing is stolen, nobody is deprived.

The value exists in the 1's and 0's, the intellectual property, not in the piece of plastic they are copied on. Just we don't have to waste another two pages explaining it to you.

Who can hate illegal downloading? A bunch of strangers working in unison to give the middle finger to big media companies. A true showing of community.

The value exists in the 1's and 0's, the intellectual property
You have to admire the minds at the top of this pyramid.

They use language in such a way as to trap the simple minds of the masses into self-defeating circular reasoning.

'Intellectual property' is an oxymoron. Nobody owns this pattern of abstract ones and zeroes or that pattern.

Those who would tell you otherwise are the ones who will profit if the masses believe this nonsense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back