Computers & Internet Downloading crackdown

Remove this Banner Ad

Im done downloading. not sure whats going to happen with this looming court case but i dont wanna get sued for downloading stuff. Turns out the pr0n industry is doing it too.

Just a question. these companies are seeding their own material and then compiling ip addresses that dwnload and upload right? Or can they colect ip info from all trackers from all files uploaded by anyone? And are the people uploading being sued much more.

They going to sue the world ?

Im done downloading. not sure whats going to happen with this looming court case but i dont wanna get sued for downloading stuff. Turns out the pr0n industry is doing it too.

Just a question. these companies are seeding their own material and then compiling ip addresses that dwnload and upload right? Or can they colect ip info from all trackers from all files uploaded by anyone? And are the people uploading being sued much more.
Who's your provider?

At least with Netflix and similar companies emerging in 2015 in Australia, the monopoly is finally getting a ******* shakedown and who knows what will be around come 2020...but geez this has been going on since Chanel Nien dropped that Season of Sopranos at the last minute all those years ago RobbieGray17

At least with Netflix and similar companies emerging in 2015 in Australia, the monopoly is finally getting a ******* shakedown and who knows what will be around come 2020...but geez this has been going on since Chanel Nien dropped that Season of Sopranos at the last minute all those years ago RobbieGray17

Ooohhhh yeah. The motherless campaigners.

This is Straya, land of the download.

We can blame the shitty service of media companies all we like but downloading HD quality ad free tv shows is just awesome.

The simple truth is that ISPs in Australia would go broke overnight. People aren't going to just start downloading off legal content providers.

What is more likely to happen is "look at me I'm downloading X torrent publicly and I don't care if you can see it" will become "I'm downloading an anonymous packet of whatever the * I want that could be anything I like and you're not allowed to know what it is".

I'm with them too and I've d/l nearly 9TB of movies/TV shows and I haven't had anything in the mail... Interesting.

9TB...whoa....

eTiv6uW.jpg

There's a difference between 'sticking up for record companies' and seeing the obvious progression that things have taken over the past few years..take music.

'You're not offering digital downloads, so I just download it instead of buying the CD'
Apple starts offering digital downloads
'You're not giving it DRM-free!'
Now available DRM-free
'They're too expensive!'
Drops price
....Stuff it, I'll just torrent it anyway.

Nowadays it isn't any harder to buy music or movies from iTunes/Telstra/XBox Video ora multitude of other services than it is to find a torrent of it. But people are used to getting it for free so they pirate away.
not really. i think when price point, convenience, the value-adds etc. are done properly then most people are generally happy to pay.

take for instance PC gaming which was RAMPANT with pirating back in the mid-2000s. after a rocky start, steam, a digital distribution platform (that uses DRM) revolutionised PC gaming completely. and how? price point (ridiculously low sales at the time), convenience (platform with all your owned games in a library, built in shopfront) and value adds (cloud saving, steam workshop, community forums for support).

as someone who used to pirate PC games like a fiend, there was literally no point in continuing to do so. by the time i had found the torrent, fired up daemon tools, installed the crack etc., it was a waste of time when the game was on a steam sale for $4.99 or whatever.

back to your music example. so apple dropped the price but i just looked up bawitdaba by kid rock and that is $1.29 which isn't too steep. but let's say i want every kid rock song ever made (because who the * wouldn't), that would set me back say $140(?) when i could just torrent it for nothing? itunes has a certain convenience factor, but where are the value adds that, regardless of legality, make me say 'man, * these torrents' the same way that steam did with PC gaming?

back to your music example. so apple dropped the price but i just looked up bawitdaba by kid rock and that is $1.29 which isn't too steep. but let's say i want every kid rock song ever made (because who the **** wouldn't), that would set me back say $140(?) when i could just torrent it for nothing? itunes has a certain convenience factor, but where are the value adds that, regardless of legality, make me say 'man, **** these torrents' the same way that steam did with PC gaming?

$1.29 in the US, it's $2.19 here (as are 80% of the songs on the iTunes store.) I think it's pretty crazy how buying a $20 itunes card will get you nine(!) individual songs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only use TV for sport. Everything else on both foxtel and FTA is absolute s**t. As someone mentioned on page 1 or 2, people don't have the option of watching what they want to watch in this country, without having to put up with the 10 home beauty channels and reality TV, which is garbage. If foxtel offered just a sports package, (correct me if I'm wrong btw), rather than 20 other lame channels with it, then I'd happily pay for it again. FTA is even worse with the s**t on there. If i want to watch a TV show or movie then I'll go on the internet where I can choose what I want to watch and mostly without advertisements. Same for torrenting as well

I would get Foxtel if you could pay by the channel. I wouldn't even care if they make those channels a bit more expensive than the % cost of the package they are now.

The packages are the scam and until they give me the freedom to choose which channels I want they can get stuffed.

1 package for sports.
1 package for Syfy
1 package for Disco
1 package for HBO shows
1 package for Movies

You end up needing to buy the $120 package to watch less than 10 channels. It's just a rort. I realise they do it on purpose but the net effect is that I will spend $0.

I would get Foxtel if you could pay by the channel. I wouldn't even care if they make those channels a bit more expensive than the % cost of the package they are now.

The packages are the scam and until they give me the freedom to choose which channels I want they can get stuffed.

1 package for sports.
1 package for Syfy
1 package for Disco
1 package for HBO shows
1 package for Movies

You end up needing to buy the $120 package to watch less than 10 channels. It's just a rort. I realise they do it on purpose but the net effect is that I will spend $0.
Only 3 channels you need:
Fox Sports (technacally 5 but really 1)
SyFy
Comedy

Done. At most 8 channels. Easy as

I only use TV for sport. Everything else on both foxtel and FTA is absolute s**t. As someone mentioned on page 1 or 2, people don't have the option of watching what they want to watch in this country, without having to put up with the 10 home beauty channels and reality TV, which is garbage. If foxtel offered just a sports package, (correct me if I'm wrong btw), rather than 20 other lame channels with it, then I'd happily pay for it again. FTA is even worse with the s**t on there. If i want to watch a TV show or movie then I'll go on the internet where I can choose what I want to watch and mostly without advertisements. Same for torrenting as well

they're doing this over this post right now

1 package for sports.
1 package for Syfy
1 package for Disco
1 package for HBO shows
1 package for Movies

Bloody oath! All I want from foxtel is the Aussie rules - but I don't think that alone is worth $50 a month, especially when I can generally get a serviceable stream online. As with you, I would sign up to Foxtel tomorrow if I could just get the AFL channel by itself, but I cancelled my subscription a month or so ago, because it just wasn't worth it (don't think I even watched a minute on Foxtel since the end of the footy season).

I'm not an expert by any means when it comes to TV broadcast rights, but I wish the afl could somehow have each game streamed live online, with a yearly subscription for all games, or a game by game price (and not just to mobile/tablet devices - I would love it in HD suitable for big smart TVs). Not sure if that is really viable for the AFL, but a boy can dream.

Someone I know started watching a doco about the advent of downloading on youtube (mostly about napster and their battles) and there was only about the first 15 minutes so he looked around for other videos (Daily motion etc) and found the same thing, the only whole movie he could find was on pay sites. He then went to torrents and got it and about 2 days later got a strongly worded email that was 1 strike and the ISP would be monitoring his internet for a couple of months and if he DL'd anymore he would be cut off. We think it was a sting operation, I also know someone else who DL'd a movie that had just been released at the cinema's and he found a dvd quality straight away (that was not a screener) and after he got it got a threatening email so they do set up's from time to time, so watch out for Viacom (VH1).

Last edited:
I don't watch that many TV shows / Movies really as I have other stuff to do (such as read Bigfooty) but I still download a fair bit even without needing to watch everything that comes along.

200-300GB is nothing especially if getting everything in 1080p.

Bloody oath! All I want from foxtel is the Aussie rules - but I don't think that alone is worth $50 a month, especially when I can generally get a serviceable stream online. As with you, I would sign up to Foxtel tomorrow if I could just get the AFL channel by itself, but I cancelled my subscription a month or so ago, because it just wasn't worth it (don't think I even watched a minute on Foxtel since the end of the footy season).

I'm not an expert by any means when it comes to TV broadcast rights, but I wish the afl could somehow have each game streamed live online, with a yearly subscription for all games, or a game by game price (and not just to mobile/tablet devices - I would love it in HD suitable for big smart TVs). Not sure if that is really viable for the AFL, but a boy can dream.

Get a Telstra TBox bundle and pay $25 for the Sports with AFL live games as part of the bundle...that's what I am doing for this season...there is about a 2 minute buffer- time difference between the game and by the time it gets to your TV, but meh, beats the radio, and if you are not there, how do you know the time diff?

Last edited:
Watching a show at the moment. Downloaded the first season then bought the next 2 on DVD. Wouldnt have paid for anything if i hadnt had free access to at least the first half a season to get into it

back to your music example. so apple dropped the price but i just looked up bawitdaba by kid rock and that is $1.29 which isn't too steep. but let's say i want every kid rock song ever made (because who the **** wouldn't), that would set me back say $140(?) when i could just torrent it for nothing? itunes has a certain convenience factor, but where are the value adds that, regardless of legality, make me say 'man, **** these torrents' the same way that steam did with PC gaming?

Also, it's simple and quick as hell to download and play music, compared to a game (which will often need to be mounted, cracked, etc). Download a whole album of songs in like 2 minutes, add to your media player's library or your media device, and you're listening right away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back