Computers & Internet Downloading crackdown

Not true. Waste of money unless you want content from region locked services like US netflix.
And it hides your IP and means you can download what you want without anyone being able to tell it's you. Unless I'm very much mistaken.

And it hides your IP and means you can download what you want without anyone being able to tell it's you. Unless I'm very much mistaken.

Yes that is correct but there are cheaper ie free ways to download large amounts of content which are pretty safe. ie private trackers. Or so I have heard.....................

Yes that is correct but there are cheaper ie free ways to download large amounts of content which are pretty safe. ie private trackers. Or so I have heard.....................
VPN just strikes me as vastly safer and more reliable.

VPN just strikes me as vastly safer and more reliable.

No expert here, but they are generally regarded as safe. I cant speak as to which is safer than the other or what tangible differences there may be, but with my limited knowledge gained through the mission impossible movies and various tv shows jk, (sort of) if someone really wanted to, they could find out what you were up to, but you would have to be specifically targeted.

The head of IT at my work was saying its very scary what they can find out about you through metadata.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
How can they potentially charge 9000? What potential earnings have they lost from one person downloading? $20 for a ticket? $40 for a DVD/bluray? 5 bucks to rent?

Absolutely no way thy can justify any more than $50.

Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Rochester FC, Waroona FC, Pacers
How can they potentially charge 9000? What potential earnings have they lost from one person downloading? $20 for a ticket? $40 for a DVD/bluray? 5 bucks to rent?

There was an expert on ABC Perth yesterday morning saying that they can only get you for the price of the item you stole - so about $10 he reckons.

But they have only gone after the seeders, so if you only downloaded and never uploaded at all you should still be fine.

In theory they if they tracked it properly they could claim you uploaded to thousands of people thus costing them thousands of sales

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
But they have only gone after the seeders, so if you only downloaded and never uploaded at all you should still be fine.

In theory they if they tracked it properly they could claim you uploaded to thousands of people thus costing them thousands of sales
What's the difference between seeders and leeches then??

What's the difference between seeders and leeches then??

Leeching is when you are downloading data ie a leech sucking blood(data)
seeding is uploading data to others

if there were no seeders there would by extension be no one to leech off

Smiling Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 17, 2007
Cultural Marxist Utopia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If every person who got one of these letters simply ignored it, the movie studios and their lawyers couldn't do s**t.

There are not enough courts to handle the cases, let alone police to drag people from houses to take them to court in the first place.

One day the peasants will wake up to their own power, and the corruption of those who lord over them.

Until then, cower in your corners like the slaves you are.

Fines and court orders for sharing 1s and 0s over telephone lines. How pathetic.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Leeching is when you are downloading data ie a leech sucking blood(data)
seeding is uploading data to others

if there were no seeders there would by extension be no one to leech off

My (limited) understanding has been that seeders are those who have a complete file available for uploading, & who I assumed this mob were really after.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
True but when you leech what you have already downloaded starts seeding straight away.

agree but I wonder for the definition of a 'seeder' they have identified those who were sharing the complete file, as I posted before 4000 sounds like a low number if talking about all those identified as having shared the file in anyway over a 2 month period.

mwillliams613

Rookie
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Should we be scared of all this suing talk or is it all a storm in a teacup and more about the people uploading the stuff in the first place?

My (limited) understanding has been that seeders are those who have a complete file available for uploading, & who I assumed this mob were really after.

since you are downloading small pieces from all over the place then as long as you have the piece that someone needs you can seed them that piece

But if the tracking software only tracks completed files being shared then it's different in this case and possibly the reason for the low number as many people close the application as soon as the download is done and never share the complete file

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
I wonder which torrent/share files they tracked, it couldn't be all... There are mp4, xvid, DVD, cam, 720p, 1080p, Blu-ray versions of this movie.

Me personally I only download a movie once it's on Blu-ray so I can get 1080p Blu-ray copy which are around 8-12gb.

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
we need a downloading crackdown meetup to share our movies/tv shows expriences
yeah, sure
Boatgiveaway.jpg

i'll be there

agree but I wonder for the definition of a 'seeder' they have identified those who were sharing the complete file, as I posted before 4000 sounds like a low number if talking about all those identified as having shared the file in anyway over a 2 month period.

I dont think it matters nor that the software they used would be capable of working that out. As it has said in a few articles and in the judges notes, the software they used counted a seeder as someone that they were able to track had seeded as little as 1kb so it doesnt matter if it was the full file or someone that had been downloading for 10 seconds.

4000 sounds low but take into account its only a few ISPs, doesnt involve the biggest ISP in the country and they may have only tracked one specific torrent as opposed to the 50 different versions out there.

Back