Analysis Draft 2nd & 3rd round picks

Who will we pick at 32?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the sum of it. His good endurance base, marking prowess for his size and smarts make him similar to LeCras, not quick by any measure but he doesn't stop moving when he's on the park and it puts him in the right spots time and time again.

I think his lack of pace and athleticism will hurt him. By a lot of measures he's a better footballer than Deluca, but Deluca has the pace and disposal that will attract clubs.

I would be happy if we picked up Anderson with our third or fourth pick. Even happier if he slipped to our pick in the rookies. He has heaps of talent and hits the ball hard.

I'd like to see us pick up Oleg Markov or Ed Langdon with our 2nd or 3rd rounders. Langdon has speed and goal sense, and Oleg is that prototypic player with height, speed, agility and a great vertical leap.

Both players missed footy through injury this year so they should be available later in the draft.

I had a crack at a phantom and based on availability I reckon we'll double up with Keitel and Smith.

Would infinitely prefer Markov than Smith though.

Some impressive testing results for Mckenzie to backup his highlights package.
6th in the 3km time trial, 2nd in the Agility test, 4th in the repeat sprints, 3rd in the running vertical jump.

3km time trial (minutes : seconds)

Jack Hiscox 9:18
Tom Lamb 9:45
Alex Neal-Bullen 9:54
Billy Stretch 9:57
Nathan Drummond 9:59
Josh Deluca-Cardillo 10:07
Daniel McKenzie 10:07

Agility results (sec)
Clem Smith 8.09
Daniel McKenzie 8.10
Conor McKenna 8.12
Jarrod Pickett 8.13

Repeat sprint results (sec)
Nakia Cockatoo 23.93
Nathan Drummond 23.95
Daniel Nielson 23.99
Daniel McKenzie 24.02

Running vertical jump (cm)
Evan Bruinsma 97
Marvin Baynham 95
Daniel McKenzie 94

I honestly prefer D McKenzie to L Duggan similar players with Mckenzie having that harder edge to his game.

Duggan is a better kick, he's probably one of the best kicks in the draft.

Duggan is a elite kick Mckenzie is above average kick as well.
Both left footers, McKenzie just attacks the footy which I love, and will translate well to afl.

Mckenzie sounds like he's being horribly underrated. Not many draft profiles done on him, but here's one a week ago from Paige.

http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-daniel-mckenzie/

As usual with everything Paige, take the lack of negatives with a grain of salt.

Here's what she said about his kicking - Although McKenzie doesn’t have a penetrating kick that’s reliable over 50 metres, he’s precise over 40 metres, and in particular has a habit of making bullet-like passes on a wing, or cutting inboard from defence.

Just thinking about this "elite kick" "above average kick" "slightly below elite kick" nonsense, and wondering whether you have to be a bit careful when judging the kicking ability of these kids.

For instance, Shuey would be one of our better, most creative kicks, yet from a quick google on his draft profiles his disposal was seen as a potential weakness.

Some guys like Hurn and Rich you knew had serious weaponry, but the rest of them...particularly those who play on a back flank in U/18, how many end up not actually having "elite" kicking once they're playing seniors?

Thoughts?

Not convinced with Anderson would prefer Langdon ,Dan Butler or Lonie
Couldn't disagree more on this one.
I'd pick Lonie out of the three you've listed, a good little player.

All guess work of course but I think Anderson could end up being something quite special.
Yes his tank and pace are a bit of an issue at this stage but when you look at the natural talent he has, put into an AFL environment, he'll develop very nicely.

Very nice foot skills, bloody good mark, ground level one touch player, good football brain and goal sense, body strength.
He does seem to be a love child of mine but I honestly believe looking back on this draft, many clubs will be spewing passing up the opportunity to draft him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just thinking about this "elite kick" "above average kick" "slightly below elite kick" nonsense, and wondering whether you have to be a bit careful when judging the kicking ability of these kids.

For instance, Shuey would be one of our better, most creative kicks, yet from a quick google on his draft profiles his disposal was seen as a potential weakness.

Some guys like Hurn and Rich you knew had serious weaponry, but the rest of them...particularly those who play on a back flank in U/18, how many end up not actually having "elite" kicking once they're playing seniors?

Thoughts?
Turnovers are so damaging the way the game is ATM that kicking is one of the first factors recruiters access.

Couldn't disagree more on this one.
I'd pick Lonie out of the three you've listed, a good little player.

All guess work of course but I think Anderson could end up being something quite special.
Yes his tank and pace are a bit of an issue at this stage but when you look at the natural talent he has, put into an AFL environment, he'll develop very nicely.

Very nice foot skills, bloody good mark, ground level one touch player, good football brain and goal sense, body strength.
He does seem to be a love child of mine but I honestly believe looking back on this draft, many clubs will be spewing passing up the opportunity to draft him.

Ok very nicely put ,I was quite excited to get a look at Anderson in a wAfl game v EF but didn't see him get involved a lot maybe he had a off day .Andersons highlights do suggest he may be very good .

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-21/chat-live-with-draft-expert-cal-twomey

Cal Twomey said this about our later picks:
"[R]ealistically, there are three or four options for the Eagles as I've said all along. At 32 there'll be more options, however they have been linked to Mitch McGovern. At 51, Damien Cavka could be a show, while Clem Smith is also in the frame then. The Eagles will decide on the night whether to use No.69 on a player or to officially list Alec Waterman as a father-son."

A draft that I'd get excited about would be:

1st - Duggan / Weller (happy we either)
2nd round - Cockatoo / Miller (Miller has more 'runs on the board' and no injury concerns) both good players.
3rd - Lonie - Slide due to his height 174cm but has the tools.
4th - Abbott - Could be anything or nothing. Nice enforcer for our WAFL side though.

Rookie

K Lucas
Ruckman ??

A draft that I'd get excited about would be:

1st - Duggan / Weller (happy we either)
2nd round - Cockatoo / Miller (Miller has more 'runs on the board' and no injury concerns) both good players.
3rd - Lonie - Slide due to his height 174cm but has the tools.
4th - Abbott - Could be anything or nothing. Nice enforcer for our WAFL side though.

Rookie

K Lucas
Ruckman ??
Cockatoo at our 2nd pick?!? There's a small chance he'll be gone by our first...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-21/chat-live-with-draft-expert-cal-twomey

Cal Twomey said this about our later picks:
"[R]ealistically, there are three or four options for the Eagles as I've said all along. At 32 there'll be more options, however they have been linked to Mitch McGovern. At 51, Damien Cavka could be a show, while Clem Smith is also in the frame then. The Eagles will decide on the night whether to use No.69 on a player or to officially list Alec Waterman as a father-son."

McGovern at 32? LOL

I much prefer this comment:

Cal T. moderator4 hours ago
Blake, would say Lever is a good chance of being there. I think De Goey will be in the top-10 if I had to do it now, and Leverde, if he doesn't get picked by the Pies at 5, could sneak through to 11.

McGovern at 32? LOL

I much prefer this comment:

Cal T. moderator4 hours ago
Blake, would say Lever is a good chance of being there. I think De Goey will be in the top-10 if I had to do it now, and Leverde, if he doesn't get picked by the Pies at 5, could sneak through to 11.
Collingwood owe us a favour or two!

Collingwood owe us a favour or two!

With any luck, GWS fall for Collingwood's mind games and pick Langford at 4, leaving Pickett for Collingwood at 5, and then Laverde drops from there...

Wonder if there's even a snowball's chance of Pickett lasting now. Someone make up a tent rumor quick!

Needs to be more than a rumour for it to work...

Volunteering?

I don't consider myself any kind of judge of potential. I just hope we collar someone who is competent disposing in traffic, has a bit of toe, some hunger for the contest and desire to improve. Someone who can play pure mid would be nice rather than another HB or HFF who rotates through. Attitude and luck with injury seems to be the biggest determinant if the physical side of things is up to standard.

Back