Draft Agressively

Remove this Banner Ad

OK I'm just going off a person who I don't know well but she does have links with the freo inner sanctum and she swears to me that Barlow is heading to Brissy for Luemberger plus a pick.
Barlow would be a good fit a brissy. Especially with redden going.

Brissy get a pick from(2nd next yr) wce and barlow
We get pick from wce (1st this yr)
Wce get redden

Luey is a free agent. If that was happening Lions would mainly be looking at a deal that gets them high band compo pick.

I would think Barlow would have plenty of Victorian options if was open to being traded.

All in all a curious sounding trade deal.
If we top up leuy for the compo pick then we may get a pick around 10

I thought I would start a counter thread to the "Trade Aggressively". Whilst I agree that we should do some "small tailor alteration" trading, I am not in the "sell the house" strategies of others. IMO these will only see us get stuck in the middle of the pack, and Fyfe and Walters will end up being Pavlich and McPharlin of the next generation. What we should be doing is aggressively drafting! :p

Sure, this draft looks weak in nature, but when everyone else writes it off as such, that is when there are bargains to be had. Like many of the top sides, we have done well with bringing in mature age players....

Who else is out there?

Feck it, hardly ever post but am a long term tragic, thanks for starting this thread, I have updated a needs list based on names that have been thrown about in this latest trade period and phantom drafts.
I don't hold much hope of getting Sunshine this year, and I'm cool with that, he should be made to honour at least another year of his contract, that he signed despite homesickness because his manager told him to?
Stoked that Bennell wants to come home, don't get how you can sack a player and then demand a first round pick for them tho? Swap of second round picks is more than adequate.
Kersten won't want to come home and Geelong are unlikely to release him but he needs to consider where he will get best opportunity.
Don't want any players from Melbourne FC unless their initials are JH, but don't think he is coming home, he will be a marquee player in the home of football.
Despite this so called shallow draft, their are some nuggets out there if they should fall our way, but I heard that Burton's leg was seriously smashed, not just broken, credit to him to up and about running around
Don't understand the Moller axing, or the link to the burger at the expense of the man who bleeds purple
& lastly Google Shane Yarran - makes Murray Newman look like an angel , how many "turn your life around" stories do we want at the club at any one time?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-10-09 10.43.43.png
    Screenshot 2015-10-09 10.43.43.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 6
Offer one first rounder and leave out Zac Clarke.

well if we cough up two first rounders for McCarthy (rape price) then we are well and truly out of the race for hogan, he`ll either stay at Melbourne or go to WCE in '17 freeing up Darling to play the swingman role

well if we cough up two first rounders for McCarthy (rape price) then we are well and truly out of the race for hogan, he`ll either stay at Melbourne or go to WCE in '17 freeing up Darling to play the swingman role

The term "2 first rounders" is misleading. Depending on compo picks and our ladder position in 2016 they could both be late teens, which prior to expansion were 2nd round picks.

The term "2 first rounders" is misleading. Depending on compo picks and our ladder position in 2016 they could both be late teens, which prior to expansion were 2nd round picks.
Its more the fact that its OUR top pick in the draft for the next 2 years, meaning we could miss out on some real top end talent
Would hate if GWS pick up a Hodge and Mitchell type in the next couple drafts and become the next AFL powerhouse

Kersten won't want to come home and Geelong are unlikely to release him but he needs to consider where he will get best opportunity.
Don't want any players from Melbourne FC unless their initials are JH, but don't think he is coming home, he will be a marquee player in the home of football.
Despite this so called shallow draft, their are some nuggets out there if they should fall our way, but I heard that Burton's leg was seriously smashed, not just broken, credit to him to up and about running around
Don't understand the Moller axing, or the link to the burger at the expense of the man who bleeds purple
& lastly Google Shane Yarran - makes Murray Newman look like an angel , how many "turn your life around" stories do we want at the club at any one time?

I didn't know Jeremy Howe is from WA? :p

I'm enjoying the attention surrounding a potential new deal that would lock him at us till FA, and his manager saying he wasn't interested in WA. With that in mind, though, 15 other clubs will be licking their lips.

Mitch Brown in the VFL
or take your choice of key forward from the draft, alot of tall timber in there
Aaron Black would struggle at Peel let alone at AFL level
Tbh Black is serviceable at best and when given an extended run at AFL level, would blossom. We have a star midfield kicking to him so that certainly helps. We need a solid tall forward, not a star $700k+ aiming to win the Coleman.
There's always bargains to be had in the second and third round, if Freo look carefully. We have done it with Neale, C. Pearce, Sutcliffe, Walters.
Mitch Brown would slot into the team, can play both forward and back. So would be handy to hae.

Tbh Black is serviceable at best

I dont think he would able to do the pressuring and defensive things expected at the club,
a forward line of :

Walters McCarthy Crozier
Pavlich Tabener Ballas

with Fyfe/Bennell/Walters rotating
*Note - no room for Mayne, wonder what his trade value is ? could be handy to get a 2nd round pick for him so we can add 3 young kids to the list still

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think he would able to do the pressuring and defensive things expected at the club,
a forward line of :

Walters McCarthy Crozier
Pavlich Tabener Ballas

with Fyfe/Bennell/Walters rotating
*Note - no room for Mayne, wonder what his trade value is ? could be handy to get a 2nd round pick for him so we can add 3 young kids to the list still
Not a lot of the tall forwards, apart from Kennedy, Riewoldt, Cameron apply defensive pressure. That's really up to Ballas, Mayne, Walters etc. Kangaroos forward do it well as Brown, Waite and Petrie are surprisingly quick as well as super fit.
Pav, even at his best, hardly applied much defensively. Griffin when chucked forward was dangerous for us so if we can do that with Black/McCarthy then that would go along way.

The draft is hard to get right, even with an early pick.
We have pick 16 this year, and assuming we finish top 4 we will have a similar pick next year.

The draft is even harder when it comes to KPP. I have made a quick spreadsheet of the 2009-2013 top 25 picks. There is a lot of players that simply do not make it. There are some steals available, but a lot of the time they are just that.

So IMO pick 16 this year + pick 16 next year is easily worth a player that has shown good form at AFL as a junior in McCarthy. I assume this trade will require an upgrade of this years pick by trading out some players.
I would also go far as to say that Bennell is one of the most gifted players in this 5 year block.

upload_2015-10-9_12-38-11.png

Can't see this happening now that we have let Ballard go, he and blakely and the like for like replacements with barlow, Mundy isnt getting any younger either

Yeah but if Ross cared about having a 'like-for-like' replacement for Barlow he would just play Barlow.

(in his proper position I mean)

why haven't we secured someone yet, come on chris bond stop sitting on your hands

shut-up-and-take-my-money-530x298.jpg

Let's not race into anything, for the sake of being seen to do something. I trust the recruiters and list managers have a plan and some targets. Sadly you aren't going to get a jet for a spud, so if we want to 'trade aggressively' we will have to give quality to get quality.
i think GC are waiting to get Seedsman, seems GC could send their 2nd rounder to collingwood, then accept our 2nd rounder for HB,
thats the talk on SEN and on the GC boards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back