Draft Pick 58: Lachie Neale

Sep 16, 2006
ge
AFL Club
Fremantle
Re: FFC Welcomes Pick 58

I think he has a good character - probably a downfall in selectors eyes ;)

I just find it odd that every year the write ups of players taken past picks 30-40 (depending on year) tend to have these glowing write ups, while players taken between 10-30 often focus on flaws. Top 10 draft picks are often spoken about as being the next superstar, of course.

There's a reason kids slide into the later rounds, but it's almost never spoken about. Take Fyfe, who didn't get big wraps on him after we drafted him, and compare him to Crichton, who was considered one of the steals of the draft.

So why did Neale slide? The only reason I can determine is his height, which is fine by me if that is his one big flaw. He looks like a nuggety type that will put his body on the line, regardless of his size. Just hope he doesn't have the twin Schammer flaws of slowness and poor ball use.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Clays thoughts mirror my own, i'm skeptical that a player of his supposed glowing qualities qualities can be selected at 58 in a s**t draft. People are quick to pump up their own brands tyres and while he looks a likely type from the outset there has to be a reasonable explanation besides height that allowed him to drop so far as to probably be a rookie selection if not for us. There were plenty of shorties drafted in the 1st round lets not forget.

Chops_a_must

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Apr 20, 2008
The Terrortory!
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Uni Rats! Believeburgh

Those short legs - I'm going to call him Stumpy.

Low centre of gravity though, should be good in traffic and able to keep his feet.

We will just call him 72.

Obviously waiting visual evidence, but he sounds like someone that we need if it comes off.

Just wondering if he might be a Moorcroft type? Short with a good leap, and fast, but not enough endurance for his height? It's rare to get these small power packets with endurance as well.

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

Clays thoughts mirror my own, i'm skeptical that a player of his supposed glowing qualities qualities can be selected at 58 in a s**t draft. People are quick to pump up their own brands tyres and while he looks a likely type from the outset there has to be a reasonable explanation besides height that allowed him to drop so far as to probably be a rookie selection if not for us. There were plenty of shorties drafted in the 1st round lets not forget.

Quite a lot of supposed good talent got overlooked though in this draft. There is no doubt that it is alot harder for a short player to be high in draft calculations. The ones that are have to have a lot going for them in terms of really good carnivals and form and athletic qualitites. Who were the real short playerd drafted in the first round? Devon Smith and Murray Newman are the only ones I can really think of.

tacopavlich

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Good players slip all the time, there doesn't have to be something wrong with him. Short inside midfielders aren't exactly high demand i would of thought.

Proud Bogan

Club Legend
Suspended
Jan 26, 2005
Japan
AFL Club
Fremantle

Less exposure on Lachie too - lesser known quantity

This. Plus the fact that many clubs are still focussing on "athletes" versus "pure footballers".

M. Barlow....hmmmm.

And most clubs already have proven in and under players, whereas we do not. Hence his slide down the pecking order.

His height may have been an issue for some as well. However, he seems to be proven in the air, a noted ball winner against men and his courage also seems to be unquestioned.

I'd take 100 of Lachies type before I selected an athlete on potential.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

It is more about player types (small inside mids) and club requirements surely (a category clubs are not going to stock up on). If he is number 6 on the list of small inside mids, and he is only going to be of interest to clubs who don't already have that position covered, then he gets selected in the third round or later or not at all.

BananaOnTheRun

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
That thread also says he ran 3.0 in the 20 metre sprint carrying a leg injury, so his pace may be ok. Even without the injury 3.0 is still pretty good.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/neale-walking-tall-for-draft/story-e6freckc-1226183282869

`But if anything it's just driven me to prove them wrong. I'm a firm believer that you try to control the things you can, not the things you can't..

``When I'm on the field I don't feel that small. When the ball bounces I feel I'm equal with everyone else.''

What Neale lacks in height he makes up for with endeavour and an insatiable work ethic.

The ball magnet hopes he is still growing - he has grown 2cm in the past six months - but notes there are plenty of small players starting to make names for themselves in the AFL, including Collingwood's Jarryd Blair and Essendon's Travis Colyer, who stand at just 174cm.

free at last

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
south of lat 32
AFL Club
Fremantle

Lachie looks like he could pass as ballas younger bro...

As someone said before earlier,it's so good to finally draft just a pure ' inside mid'..

Dietrite1943

Debutant
Oct 10, 2011
St Kilda
AFL Club
Fremantle

Lachie's biggest concern with recruiters was his pace and ball use by foot.

He ran a 3.0 20m with a soft tissue calf injury at the SA state screenings. Pace is no concern (can be improved for sure, but not a concern).

One recruiter from a rival club put to him that maybe, because of the large number of possessions he gathered and disposed of by foot (often 18+) he might turn over three of them and thats what people remembered versus the guy who had 7 or 8 and turned over only one. His kicking efficiency sat at about 85% in SANFL U18 level and just under 80% at senior level.

When it was realised clubs where concerned about his kicking (admittedly his disposal at the Nationals was scratchy - they were often rushed and not greatly effective due to his inside work) he started to do extra kicking sessions with a good friend (who coached the U18's at Glenelg) 3 times a week for about an hour to improve his different kick 'sets'. This was on top of already doing all the training sessions at Glenelg. It was just one of many ways Lach worked hard to improve his game within 12 months.

One SA based recruiter also questioned why Lachie was not being talked about in the same breath as Toby Greene. I believe a bigfooty member also asked the same question on another thread. Whilst it's not everything for sure, compare their testing results and consider one has played U18 football and the other has played senior football in the SANFL.

Trust me ladies and gentlemen I think Lachie Neale will be great for Fremantle in a number of ways.

I'm really liking this Lach guy now...

Now I just need to find something to like about 'Moo'.

Rooters:
After a stinging attack on his humorous posting style by Clay, Moo has been doing extra comedy sessions with Ben Elton and Wayne Swan.

One talent scout pointed out Moo may post 12 to15 times a day and the recruiters are recalling the 14 s**t ones and missing the funny post.

When asked for his opinion - Moo said he had no onions, when the question was re-stated he said he didn't know s**t from clay. The jury is out as to whether Moo is clueless or Clay is indiscernible from poo - perhaps both?

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

It is more about player types (small inside mids) and club requirements surely (a category clubs are not going to stock up on). If he is number 6 on the list of small inside mids, and he is only going to be of interest to clubs who don't already have that position covered, then he gets selected in the third round or later or not at all.
Aaahh yes, this makes a lot of sense too. I didn't think of it like that, cheers Gav.

Docker Dolph

All Australian
Feb 2, 2009
Behind the couch.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, RedSox, Bengals.

Just got an email from the guy I watched the game with and thought I'd share some Lachie comments, mostly just to annoy him...

"At least get the facts right mate!!!! I said he was like Beams and a shorter Sidebottom, not Blair although I can see that resemblance there too. Main thing you didn't mention when you stole my comments was his off the ball stuff. Got it a lot but also knew when to make room for others and draw guys away from a contest to free up his mates. I also remember that big block he put on the midget from the other club. He loved hurting that guy didn't he. All legal too.

I don't remember his speed though, can you? Quick or not?. He was still at every contest come the 4th quarter so I don't think it was a problem. In my eyes he's a good get and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he outshines Smith because he has the chance to play in a better team early on. Not much better though :). Smith offers flexibility but that won't help if he can't take the step up.

As we both talked about at the time his success or otherwise will depend on whether he can still get first hands on the leather at the next level. If he does he's untaggable and will be good value, if his size does stop him then he'll get found out and I'm not sure what else he could do. Won't be a tagger so I reckon he's a home run or a nothing at all. My money is on him playing more than less. Particularly now you have a decent coach. Harvey might have tried to turn him in to a back pocket."

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club

Rooters:
After a stinging attack on his humorous posting style by Clay, Moo has been doing extra comedy sessions with Ben Elton and Wayne Swan.

One talent scout pointed out Moo may post 12 to15 times a day and the recruiters are recalling the 14 s**t ones and missing the funny post.

When asked for his opinion - Moo said he had no onions, when the question was re-stated he said he didn't know s**t from clay. The jury is out as to whether Moo is clueless or Clay is indiscernible from poo - perhaps both?

Dissociative Personality Disorder??

Chops_a_must

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Apr 20, 2008
The Terrortory!
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Uni Rats! Believeburgh

Lachie's biggest concern with recruiters was his pace and ball use by foot.

He ran a 3.0 20m with a soft tissue calf injury at the SA state screenings. Pace is no concern (can be improved for sure, but not a concern).

One recruiter from a rival club put to him that maybe, because of the large number of possessions he gathered and disposed of by foot (often 18+) he might turn over three of them and thats what people remembered versus the guy who had 7 or 8 and turned over only one. His kicking efficiency sat at about 85% in SANFL U18 level and just under 80% at senior level.

When it was realised clubs where concerned about his kicking (admittedly his disposal at the Nationals was scratchy - they were often rushed and not greatly effective due to his inside work) he started to do extra kicking sessions with a good friend (who coached the U18's at Glenelg) 3 times a week for about an hour to improve his different kick 'sets'. This was on top of already doing all the training sessions at Glenelg. It was just one of many ways Lach worked hard to improve his game within 12 months.

One SA based recruiter also questioned why Lachie was not being talked about in the same breath as Toby Greene. I believe a bigfooty member also asked the same question on another thread. Whilst it's not everything for sure, compare their testing results and consider one has played U18 football and the other has played senior football in the SANFL.

Trust me ladies and gentlemen I think Lachie Neale will be great for Fremantle in a number of ways.

Culture...

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle

Just got an email from the guy I watched the game with and thought I'd share some Lachie comments, mostly just to annoy him...

"At least get the facts right mate!!!! I said he was like Beams and a shorter Sidebottom, not Blair although I can see that resemblance there too. Main thing you didn't mention when you stole my comments was his off the ball stuff. Got it a lot but also knew when to make room for others and draw guys away from a contest to free up his mates. I also remember that big block he put on the midget from the other club. He loved hurting that guy didn't he. All legal too.

I don't remember his speed though, can you? Quick or not?. He was still at every contest come the 4th quarter so I don't think it was a problem. In my eyes he's a good get and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he outshines Smith because he has the chance to play in a better team early on. Not much better though :). Smith offers flexibility but that won't help if he can't take the step up.

As we both talked about at the time his success or otherwise will depend on whether he can still get first hands on the leather at the next level. If he does he's untaggable and will be good value, if his size does stop him then he'll get found out and I'm not sure what else he could do. Won't be a tagger so I reckon he's a home run or a nothing at all. My money is on him playing more than less. Particularly now you have a decent coach. Harvey might have tried to turn him in to a back pocket."

I personally think there's more upside to Neale than there is to Smith and they'll turn out to be of a similar quality.

In any event, it's good to have a small midfielder to add another dimension to our midfield. With all the talls in there last year we were one dimensional.

Back