Did we choose right?

• Yes

Votes: 17 47.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 52.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Good player but was probably a bit of a reach. I'm guessing a lot of the top 10 players essentially said don't draft me I want to stay in Vic / SA

You guys put far too much weight in to what armchair experts rated him at.

If he was rated above 16 we would have taken him there. Richmond were a certainty to grab him if we didn't. He's probably the best overhead mark we've drafted in a sub 185cm in forever. That's the selling point for me. Seems a great kid too and when I watched him at league level live this year he never looked out of place.

Some of you seem to see a small skilled indigenous kid and think they are all the same. It's pretty basic thinking in my opinion. He's different to anyone we've selected in the past three years even Garlett who would be closest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outside of it being a pick that is largely surplus to needs, it was also a reach. Do you know what a reach means?

I knew someone would play up the race card. Nobody has said what you are insinuating. He is a spindly little outside high half forward/wing. We have too many in this mould. He's okay above his head but that doesn't mitigate the concerns a lot of us have.

To not blindly follow every decision the club makes doesn't make us sooks.
I could argue that to be happy with this pick puts you in the minority, and your response seems to show you as a happy-clapper. But I won't, because I that would be tit-for-tat and I ain't about dat life.

Tl:dr don't call us sooks/insinuate racism, our concerns are valid.

Have to trust the people who watch all the games (more than once), talk to the coaches and teammates, check out the family, do the hard yards.

It is hard to trust them based on all the 'noise' that gets floated out there, but trust them I will.

As for Callum, I think we do need a super speedy small forward.

Our best smalls on the list are either resting mids (includes Jack Martin and Aaron Hall this year) or good players like Matera and theTouk who lack outright speed and agility.
Garlett more of a winger/half forward runner than a small forward.
Not sure we have anyone else on the list who could play there?

So the fit is there at some point for someone whose best traits are: skills, pace and agility, overhead marking.

I don't see the Ah Chee pick as being surplus to requirements. We need more depth in the small forwards and midfield and recruiting Callum helps both areas. We have also said we're crying out for someone to play the high half forward role, which surprise, Ah Chee says is his favoured position. His delivery into the forward 50 already looks superior to both Garlett and Martin. Weights his passes beautifully.

It seems to me that Clayton was given orders to draft the best available talent 'that are good/great characters'. Ah Chee seems to fit this bracket, who seems absolutely stoked to get here and by all reports is a great young kid. Helps that he knows Garlett. Will probably help him on and off the field and help settle him if need be.

It seems to me that Clayton was given orders to draft the best available talent 'that are good/great characters'. Ah Chee seems to fit this bracket, who seems absolutely stoked to get here and by all reports is a great young kid. Helps that he knows Garlett. Will probably help him on and off the field and help settle him if need be.
knows garlett well.

I don't see the Ah Chee pick as being surplus to requirements. We need more depth in the small forwards and midfield and recruiting Callum helps both areas. We have also said we're crying out for someone to play the high half forward role, which surprise, Ah Chee says is his favoured position. His delivery into the forward 50 already looks superior to both Garlett and Martin. Weights his passes beautifully.
You are generally spot on.
Do you feel like we're lacking players who'll put their head over the ball?

100%. Great pick up. Seems like a ripper person and falls in line with last year's draftees.

You are generally spot on.
Do you feel like we're lacking players who'll put their head over the ball?

Not really but I do feel like we lack players who can continually put their heads over the ball, get the ball and keep their heads intact. Martin, Garlett etc. these guys will be much better for us if we can let them play more outside and stay injury free.
unfortunately all the gun big inside mids were gone. Good to see us put the bid in for Hopper but we were never going to get him. Mathieson slipping was a surprise but it seems there's big questions over his endurance. Hopefully we can keep Spitta, Dion, Gaz and Jaeger on the park next year so that problem is solved. I also liked the fact that Fiorini, Schoenfeld and Willis are around that 186cm Spitta height and look like they're capable of putting on some beef. The best overall athletes are generally considered to come from the 6'1" - 6'2" group. This will take a few years obviously unless they're freaks like Jaeger.

Outside of it being a pick that is largely surplus to needs, it was also a reach. Do you know what a reach means?

I knew someone would play up the race card. Nobody has said what you are insinuating. He is a spindly little outside high half forward/wing. We have too many in this mould. He's okay above his head but that doesn't mitigate the concerns a lot of us have.

To not blindly follow every decision the club makes doesn't make us sooks.
I could argue that to be happy with this pick puts you in the minority, and your response seems to show you as a happy-clapper. But I won't, because I that would be tit-for-tat and I ain't about dat life.

Do I know what a reach means? Obviously, it was the entire point I was labouring. Don't try play me as dumb, I've seen you posting here for a while as a reader and you try that a lot.

In no way am I playing the race card. I've seen the phrase 'outside indigenous kid' used on here multiple times which I have no issue with. The point I was making that you clearly, clearly missed is that simply because he appears to be that type, is he? Is he purely outside? Is he just a forward? Is he so similar to other players we've drafted? He's not. Have you seen him play live?

Not a happy clapper. Again stop with the personal attacks and play ball buddy. Just because I don't read a mock draft and have a sook because we took a player 10 spots higher than the "expert" says doesn't mean I'm blindly following the club. I've questioned a couple of the other selections. Poor form to be calling out new posters for having an alternative opinion. You also love to bag the club and its players at any moment. All good being a cynic but don't call me a happy clapper. I followed this draft closely.

Really, so you get to say something without 'saying' it? A bit passive aggressive, apparently you are about dat life.

Dude your post was longer, should we not read that then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand how people can say he wasn't being tote as a potential Top Ten draft pick; it was well and truly being speculated that he could go that early on draft night. That picture of his screamer mark is proof enough that the bloke has freakish ability; he definitely has all the potential in the world to be a star.

I don't understand how people can say he wasn't being tote as a potential Top Ten draft pick; it was well and truly being speculated that he could go that early on draft night. That picture of his screamer mark is proof enough that the bloke has freakish ability; he definitely has all the potential in the world to be a star.

A dash of Wingard in the kid.

If DWD and the other cynics don't want to take my word on his ability then I think you should all look at one thing which I loved. I don't think I have ever seen a player so genuinely elated to be coming to us. He looked like he was bursting with excitement. That's enough for me.

Do I know what a reach means? Obviously, it was the entire point I was labouring. Don't try play me as dumb, I've seen you posting here for a while as a reader and you try that a lot.

In no way am I playing the race card. I've seen the phrase 'outside indigenous kid' used on here multiple times which I have no issue with. The point I was making that you clearly, clearly missed is that simply because he appears to be that type, is he? Is he purely outside? Is he just a forward? Is he so similar to other players we've drafted? He's not. Have you seen him play live?

Not a happy clapper. Again stop with the personal attacks and play ball buddy. Just because I don't read a mock draft and have a sook because we took a player 10 spots higher than the "expert" says doesn't mean I'm blindly following the club. I've questioned a couple of the other selections. Poor form to be calling out new posters for having an alternative opinion. You also love to bag the club and its players at any moment. All good being a cynic but don't call me a happy clapper. I followed this draft closely.
There's no point in this continuing, but did you or did you not call posters who weren't ecstatic with this picks 'sooks'?

It's not wrong to respond to that. If you feel I'm making you out as being unintelligent, sorry. However, what are your thoughts on making the doubters out to be sooks?

It's all just opinion. We have every right to question a pick. As you have every right to be happy with it.

There's no point in this continuing, but did you or did you not call posters who weren't ecstatic with this picks 'sooks'?

It's not wrong to respond to that. If you feel I'm making you out as being unintelligent, sorry. However, what are your thoughts on making the doubters out to be sooks?

It's all just opinion. We have every right to question a pick. As you have every right to be happy with it.

Haha. Clutching at straws with this comment mate. Not even going to rise to this attempt at sounding intelligent. Especially given that you danced around every relevant, proper question I put to you

Everyone except you can see your douchery. Wonder why people are calling you out? Can't wait for Callum to prove you wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HF: martin, lynch, ah chee
FF: matera, day, garlett

i'd imagine at some point in time we'll go with these 4 indigenous small forwards in a game. would definitely be interesting to see how it goes! haha

Looks like we are putting a lot more focus on the character of the players which is what I really appreciate. Bring in some boys with level heads that are going to tow the line of the club, which is excellent to see. Ah Chee seems like a real good bloke and will put his best foot forward.

HF: martin, lynch, ah chee
FF: matera, day, garlett

i'd imagine at some point in time we'll go with these 4 indigenous small forwards in a game. would definitely be interesting to see how it goes! haha
Surely at least one of them would have to have a ripper

I wouldn't mind the experiment of playing Martin out of FF at times as a change up, ridiculous leap and quick over ground. 2MP will probably need another pre-season or 2 before we get him in.

Gee I hope not
And I bet he'd be rancid if he doesn't get 12+ games this year
He'll be 20 next year
The great Sam Day had played 40 odd games by the time he was 20

Gee I hope not
And I bet he'd be rancid if he doesn't get 12+ games this year
He'll be 20 next year
The great Sam Day had played 40 odd games by the time he was 20
Let me rephrase, I think Wright is capable of senior footy this year for sure, but I don't think he could play every single game of a season + finals as of yet.

Back