Draft Pick 71: Cameron Sutcliffe

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: FFC Welcomes Pick 71

If he was rated in the top 30 picks, why did he not go in the top 90 picks? Ask yourself that question.

You did not seriously ask that question. How many good players have missed out on the draft but been rookied or recruited in the Pre-Season Draft? I will not even bother going into detail on that one. But their could of been some bargain picks at that selection.

You did not seriously ask that question. How many good players have missed out on the draft but been rookied or recruited in the Pre-Season Draft? I will not even bother going into detail on that one. But their could of been some bargain picks at that selection.
So in other words, he wasn't in the top 30 of the recruiters, just the BF experts.

As a bigfooty poster, I would have chosen a host of other options at every selection including this one. For me it is actually an affirmation that our recruitment staff know what they are doing, have a clear plan and strategy, and that they look beyond a single year for some of the players. I am certainly not going to judge a recruit I haven't seen, but who is rated by posters who have seen him.

So in other words, he wasn't in the top 30 of the recruiters, just the BF experts.

So in other words, recruiters get it right 100% of the time? Recruiting gurus like shifter spend more time around the young prospects then club recruiters do.

This statement is spot on. Big footy and Newspaper journalists seemed to rate the mentioned players in some of their top 30 but obviously the clubs will have completely different lists of top 30 and clearly those players were not rated as highly by AFL club recruiters.

In saying all this Sutcliffe really appears more of a Rookie selection and I thought pick 71 could be used on Tunbridge who at 92kgs is physically ready or Manson (to beat off the early rookie picks). The other players like Frost, Boseley (weighs well under 80kgs as a 194cm height) as well as Manson are well away from playing so having them clogg up list space is not good list management so they are all Rookie picks for mine.

I think Manson will be gone before our first pick (Port and Melbourne are very keen) and if Freo do rate Tunbridge he will need to be picked up with our first Rookie pick because the Eags will snap him up with their pick. I dont see anyone picking up Tunbridge before our first pick.

Perhaps like Manson Freo felt that Sutcliffe wouldnt last to their first Rookie pick but wanted him more than the others.

I do agree with Yakka Man that sometimes it would be good for Freo to go a little safer with late picks. The draft we picked up Stribling, Andrew Swallow was available. Swallow went out of his way to get AFL approval to be eligible as an underager for that particular draft and was a home grown local. The rest is history.

So in other words, recruiters get it right 100% of the time? Recruiting gurus like shifter spend more time around the young prospects then club recruiters do.

The recruiters would have a pretty good relationship with shifter if they want to get some information about potential recruits.

The recruiters would have a pretty good relationship with shifter if they want to get some information about potential recruits.

Well then clubs would have known that at pick 71 a player such as Nelson would be a super bargain over an unknown.

I think on Manson, Freo don't want to be burnt by another potential Sibosado and would prefer to rookie him if possible.

I'm just not sure if he will last to pick 8 in the rookie draft. He has talent to burn way more than Sibo. Imagine him and Pav in the forward line next year.

Well then clubs would have known that at pick 71 a player such as Nelson would be a super bargain over an unknown.

Hey I'm a Nelson fan. But the unknown we apparently were interested in rookie listing last year, and I suspect they have every bit of info they need about Nelson too. Full bottle on both players I would think.

Hey I'm a Nelson fan. But the unknown we apparently were interested in rookie listing last year, and I suspect they have every bit of info they need about Nelson too. Full bottle on both players I would think.

And I'm not knocking Sutcliffe. But if one of them was a draft prospect and the other a rookie propsect I would have Nelson a draft prospect and Sutcliffe a rookie prospect. Sutcliffe hasn't got a bip on the AFL website. Gavin Roberts had one before we rookie listed him last year.

If we didn't want to rookie list Sutcliffe last year, why draft him in the ND this year? He only managed 7 SANFL league games I think. Any way I'm not against Sutcliffe just pro Nelson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember David Gourdis? Was touted as a top 5 pick in 07, went in the Rookie draft, was elevated and has played just 4 games since then. He was a top tester at the DC too and apparently an awesome player.

Also, You're talking 7 league games for the team that won the SANFL grand final. It was not an easy team to break into.

Remember David Gourdis? Was touted as a top 5 pick in 07, went in the Rookie draft, was elevated and has played just 4 games since then. He was a top tester at the DC too and apparently an awesome player.

Also, You're talking 7 league games for the team that won the SANFL grand final. It was not an easy team to break into.

It's very easy to find one example that supports a theory. You live in Adelaide so you will have more of an idea of his form then me. As I understand he averaged 19 disposals a game in the Ressies. Was he good? Is it a strong competition?

It goes without saying that it isn't easy for players to make it and the majority of them don't. But you have more of a chance if you select a highly rated player at a later pick then one who wasn't expected to be drafted.

It is the best competition in the country, besides the AFL. People will point to the Foxtel Cup and say that SANFL teams got knocked out early by the WAFL/VFL teams, but they were 3 teams who didn't make the finals the last 2 seasons (including this).

Once again, highly rated by journalists and BF "experts". Nelson wasn't in Kevin Sheahans top 30, so there goes your call of him being in the top 30.

Oh and there is more than one example. There are quite a few.

Geez Yakka, I'm sorry, but your line of reasoning in this thread is quite ridiculous. I'm not saying Sutcliffe will be any good, but to say we should have picked other players because you can read about them on the internets is laughable.

You mentioned a bunch of KPP, well nobody else picked them either, and I wasn't the least bit surprised. You have almost a 0% chance of success with a tall at 71, you might have a 5-10% chance with a mid. And Nelson? Nobody picked him either, and why pick him after picking Neale?

It's very easy to find one example that supports a theory. You live in Adelaide so you will have more of an idea of his form then me. As I understand he averaged 19 disposals a game in the Ressies. Was he good? Is it a strong competition?

It goes without saying that it isn't easy for players to make it and the majority of them don't. But you have more of a chance if you select a highly rated player at a later pick then one who wasn't expected to be drafted.

Rated by who?? Some journos? One punter?

Expected to be drafted by whom?

So your theory of drafting is this:

"Lloydy, Ive come across a kid in SA who can play" says the recruiter.

"Does he have an article on AFL.com" says lloydy.

"No" says recruiter.

"Well obviously if some journo in Vic doesnt expect him to be drafted, he's no good. Find someone with an article, and we'll grab him" decides lloydy

I don't understand where you're coming from? You say 'considered top 30 all year', but someone who wasn't picked up at all in the draft. Recruiters make mistakes but in this case it was ALL eighteen clubs recruiting staff that left him out. Did every other club make the same mistake as us? No offence, but most of us 'average joe' footy supporters would have no choice but to believe in the combined knowledge of 18 clubs recruiters than someone on BigFooty.

Geez Yakka, I'm sorry, but your line of reasoning in this thread is quite ridiculous. I'm not saying Sutcliffe will be any good, but to say we should have picked other players because you can read about them on the internets is laughable.

You mentioned a bunch of KPP, well nobody else picked them either, and I wasn't the least bit surprised. You have almost a 0% chance of success with a tall at 71, you might have a 5-10% chance with a mid. And Nelson? Nobody picked him either, and why pick him after picking Neale?

So if you are saying that Sutcliffe may not be any good why are you against recruiting someone who has way more credentials? If you go through all AFL teams lists we need KPP's much more then everyone else so a KPP would ne needs based. So are you saying that anyone not picked up in the ND is no good? The simple fact is that most draft prospects who are rated are invited by clubs to attend the draft combine so they can get a better view of their athleticism, skills and personalities. So obviously clubs recruiters had him in their sights which is more then you can say for Sutcliffe. The same goes for all the other players I mentioned and I'm getting frustrated that you tools claim that I am basing my opinion on what I read in the Big Footy draft threads. That's just guesswork.

Rated by who?? Some journos? One punter?

Expected to be drafted by whom?

So your theory of drafting is this:

"Lloydy, Ive come across a kid in SA who can play" says the recruiter.

"Does he have an article on AFL.com" says lloydy.

"No" says recruiter.

"Well obviously if some journo in Vic doesnt expect him to be drafted, he's no good. Find someone with an article, and we'll grab him" decides lloydy

Oh very good, reductio ad absurdum. That's too dumb to even respond too.

I don't understand where you're coming from? You say 'considered top 30 all year', but someone who wasn't picked up at all in the draft. Recruiters make mistakes but in this case it was ALL eighteen clubs recruiting staff that left him out. Did every other club make the same mistake as us? No offence, but most of us 'average joe' footy supporters would have no choice but to believe in the combined knowledge of 18 clubs recruiters than someone on BigFooty.

I could claim the exact same argument about Sutcliffe. All other eighteen clubs left him out. The difference between the two is Nelson played all games in the under 18 champs in his draft year while Sutcliffe didn't even make the squad last year. Nelson also played very well in the champs and blitzed the draft camp and was in Jason Phelans top thirty of which only one or two KPP's weren't drafted. And don't forget we had more picks then most clubs wo while they were passing on their final picks we still had live picks.

It is the best competition in the country, besides the AFL. People will point to the Foxtel Cup and say that SANFL teams got knocked out early by the WAFL/VFL teams, but they were 3 teams who didn't make the finals the last 2 seasons (including this).

Once again, highly rated by journalists and BF "experts". Nelson wasn't in Kevin Sheahans top 30, so there goes your call of him being in the top 30.

Oh and there is more than one example. There are quite a few.

It was Jason Phelan then not Sheehan. And for gods sake how many times do I have to say that Nelson was one of a list of prospects I mentioned.

Recruiting isn't about picking who is the best player now, it is about who is going to be the best AFL player over the journey.

From the limited accounts Sutcliffe is a solid hard working player with a right and left foot. Thus I see him as a "not going to lose you the game" pick rather than a game breaker.

But with all the science on the draft nowadays that seems a pretty good outcome for pick 71, i.e. use your first picks to bring in the guns and then build with solid consistent hard working team mates around them.

I think he is from Pav's old SA club, and he is staying with Pav too. There may be some connection, or someone could have given a tip-off about him. Anyway, we'll get to see soon enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back