Opinion Draft preview (Thread closed, pls move discussion to new draft 'review' thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Cockatoo any chance at 30 considering he has very little exposed form, injury concerns and comes from the NT?

Hard to see Cockatoo being available past pick 20 and most likely he goes somewhere in the teens.

He won't be there at 30. Clubs love him and everything he stands for, even beyond just his obvious talent.

The Pies would be all over him if there, but I can't see it happening.

Really appreciate all the effort that you guys put into these mock drafts and profiles - for a guy like me who has seen very few of the draftees live, I feel like I know their individual traits good and bad already. I know this is perception though.

As for feedback - it's a mugs game tbh. I just don't even think it's worth commenting on noting the number of variables and personal interpretation of each clubs needs.

Knowing that you can get a dud in the top 5 and unearth a real gem after the second round I won't beat myself up over who we take and don't take. I have grown attached to a couple like Laverde, Pickett and Cockatoo and if we walked away with any of them I would be happy as Larry.

That said, our recruiting and football department know best what we need, want and are willing to risk so I'm interested and excited about who comes on board tomorrow evening.

But - from what I've seen around the boards I would be happy with a selection of these Laverde, Pickett, Langford, Cockatoo, Mclean, Neal-Bullen, R.Mckenzie, Cavka, Miller, Blakey, Maynard, Boaekhurst, Langdon, Saad. If we can fit these guys into our selections across the evening I'd be happy.

mate no problems - its a bit of fun and i just enjoy watching junior footy and then benchmarking my view against how it turns out on the night and more importantly many years later. To be fair Knightmare puts in a massive effort through the year with his Alamanac. I just dont have time to watch junior footy and then run a thread off the back so I take my hat off time him as its big effort. I tend to more watch and then form my opinions quite late after testing and trading.

As always Hine and Rendell know best and i'm a mug ammo who sits with a few recruiters through the year, watches a fair bit. Hine and Co. are the experts. Whatever they decide sits perfectly with me.

You're just about reading the names off my power rankings. I rate Gore and Bampton exceptionally highly and I strongly agree both are getting horribly underrated based on the lack of media rumours. Gore would be my backup plan at 48 and if there at that very final pick would jump at that chance. Bampton I rate slightly below but would also be stoked with him with that final selection. Like them both a lot.

I wouldn't even mind something like Blakely (5), R.McKenzie (30), Gore (48) and Bampton with that final pick. You wouldn't have to think about midfielders for some time or key forwards for that matter with Moore and McKenzie. Then add some outside guys and pace in the rookie draft - guys like Fordham, maybe Jermaine Miller-Lewis, someone who slides or whoever we like there.

Laverde, Maynard, Boekhorst and Newman is a pretty good haul overall. None are guys I'm super excited by but a good mature age theme with the latter two picks as guys who both fill those needs for pace and down back respectively.

yeah I dont have any issues around the Laverde, McKenzie, Gore and Bampton. I'd fee we'd have KPF's set for a while, inside mids locked away and a bit of class and x factor into the team. As you say if there is any draft with a few gems late and in the rookie it is this one. I am pretty pumped about what Hine and Rendell might get up to.

Snoop I rate your opinion highly so wondering why the club would select De Goey over Laverde if indeed it works out that way?

What does he do strongly compared to Laverde that would appeal to them?

How does Laverde compare to Cale Morton who was a complete bust at pick 4 as that flashy outside type?

Good question and spent a few nights going to sleep thinking about it.

First, I have had it on good authority Laverde has been their choice for a while and Ahern was just behind him. I havent had any updates on that for a week or so and hence could have changed but my understanding is that Collingwood would have made a final call late last week so if it changed it changed within those days.

Notwithstanding I went back and watched De Goey again last night and to be fair he is harder at it. He is prepared to hunt the ball in a way that reminds me of selwood. He can also play fwd which is his current 'go' but when he takes turns in the middle he is quite adept at stoppages, winning the footy and using it to advantage. I suspect their interest in him resides around that. He can work with Adams, Greenwood, Kennedy, Thomas etc and it may also be that it releases others to the outside. Again, just speculating but I can see that logic for sure. They may also be forming a view that at #30 they can get an outside player they really rate so the better combination is inside mid then outside mid whereas I was hearing it was the other way around - ie outside mid (Laverde), inside mid (Gore, Miller, Blakely etc)

Re Laverde I think the key differences with Morton are he is quicker, has more agility, can play more roles and has the ability to do do special things in a short period that change a game. To me Morton was a winger who was an elite runner and average ball user. He didnt really have the extra elements I think Laverde or Langford for that matter have.

The choice of De Goey or Laverde makes more sense to me than Langford who I think is a poorer version of Laverde. De Goey is just a different direction.

Hope that answers it but if not let me know.

Great effort and would be happy as Pies supporter.

I guess the big one is Boekhorst over Reece. I really think we need to develop another full forward and think Moore is better suited to high chf or playing as a kpd.

As a consequence of your selections Maynard at 30 is a good pick and means Bampton wouldn't be in picture at 48 like he otherwise would.

I like Newman, but would prefer Grace.

yeah I havent put it up yet but may do so tonight or in the morning but in the rookie I have a kid called Jesse Watchman coming to Collingwood. I think his vision would be on the AFL site but he is a bang and crash type key fwd with really good courage, super hands and a neat kick. he didnt come on as much this year but he did play some decent SANFL footy and I think bc we dont have a lot of SA coverage then people dont get exposed to him. With McKenzie I just have some doubts around the fact that he has had it over his opponents physically and athleticlly yet he hasnt been able to dominate good opposition. That worries me. in saying that I would be fine if he is called at #30 or #48 as club is miles smarter than me but if asked that is my observation. In some ways the reasons I dont select him are the reasons the club would. Ie he has all the tools and the club feel they just maybe need to develop him a little. Certainly he is a Rocca type player so he would be as good as anyone to work on him. The lack of results worry me but again have him at #49 or something so have him around that 3rd selection range.

yeah I dont have any issues around the Laverde, McKenzie, Gore and Bampton. I'd fee we'd have KPF's set for a while, inside mids locked away and a bit of class and x factor into the team. As you say if there is any draft with a few gems late and in the rookie it is this one. I am pretty pumped about what Hine and Rendell might get up to.
This does seem to be their kind of draft - deep with prospects.

The best thing I like about this draft is we will hopefully get to see Freeman, and maybe Sharenberg debut for us also.
It will be like we have 3, maybe 4 top ten picks capable of playing for us for the first time this year.
Yeah, the bitterly bad luck of last year does have that silver lining. First Freeman, and then later Scharenberg too.

Who's most likely going to be this years Langdon type slider

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do people think at this stage its more likely than not we'll use Pick 75?

I think it's more likely than this time last year, the top end talent was much more obvious last year i believe, whereas from what I've heard the talent is so evenly spread out this year that recruiters are a lot more calm going into it, because it's so even wouldn't be surprised if a few that Hine rates slip through the gaps, but that's just the jist of what i've got from interviews.

Feels to me that this year a player taken quite late can perhaps impact as much as a 30ish-40ish pick, that's just my assessment if anyone wants to chip in?

Do people think at this stage its more likely than not we'll use Pick 75?

Given the evenness my feel is we'll find some value late as we did last year. Hopefully in the form of a Gore/Bampton or R.McKenzie. Or so I hope anyway.

Who's most likely going to be this years Langdon type slider

Langdon wasn't a slider with no one really regarding him that highly. An example of this is I managed to take Langdon in the bigfooty official draft at the end of the year as a rookie in the second round to put that in perspective.

But for value late draft Gore and Bampton other than R.McKenzie are my guys I'd be highly recommending Collingwood look out for if they happen to slide.

Hard to see Cockatoo being available past pick 20 and most likely he goes somewhere in the teens.

He won't be there at 30. Clubs love him and everything he stands for, even beyond just his obvious talent.

The Pies would be all over him if there, but I can't see it happening.
I honestly thing this kid is class and carries massive risk/reward. I'd really like us to take a balls out call on a guy like this. I don't think he'll get passed NM at 16
This team will be star studded in yrs to come.
Either we will be or Port or Adl with that many SA stars amongst us.

I honestly thing this kid is class and carries massive risk/reward. I'd really like us to take a balls out call on a guy like this. I don't think he'll get passed NM at 16

Either we will be or Port or Adl with that many SA stars amongst us.
Cmon mate. All we have to do is to get james aish to collingwood and we would have a little SA fraternity going on in our team, and thag frat wont be going anywhere any time soon

Cmon mate. All we have to do is to get james aish to collingwood and we would have a little SA fraternity going on in our team, and thag frat wont be going anywhere any time soon
The Aish ship has sailed unfortunately, but in better news the Brisbane Lions may not be able to operate and we may see a number of players heading South just to continue playing football. It really does break my heart - NOT!

I like the comment below about working with the AFL to implement a range of operational changes - is that code for welfare, begging, handouts, soup kitchen!

upload_2014-11-26_19-22-2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back