List Mgmt. Draft Watch 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahchee could be a steal like lever was, on talent he is top 5 but has slid partly not in his control due to how poor WA were at U18 level ....he's more of the cream on top so prob suits where we are at the moment rather than a battling side

If milera not there and equally good prospect to take
Looks a great talent for sure but do we want another small forward at this stage?

Skippos given the talent in the next 2 drafts, if we get two picks firsts from Geelong, should we trade next years for a pick in this years top 10?

3 first Rd picks would be our best first pick count in our history.

I know we need ready to go talent to replace Danger but unless it's elite talent what's the point of bringing in pretty good players? We need great kickers.

I'm in two minds about this.

I think Gold Coast would potentially trade Port's Dixon pick for Geelong's first next year, but I actually think the talent at 8 to 12 is similar to 13 to 18, so maybe we go later.

Or Geelong's two firsts for 3 and 19?

Looks a great talent for sure but do we want another small forward at this stage?
Depends on what we plan to do with Charlie. If we (hopefully) push him onto the wing there's room for another one.

Depends on what we plan to do with Charlie. If we (hopefully) push him onto the wing there's room for another one.
I guess people did say we were crazy drafting Talia when we had Bock, Rutten and Davis. You never know what's going to happen.

Like the idea of Charlie as a mid (need the speed) but has such natural goal sense, you'd think it would be a part time thing (like Rioli).

I really hope we don't get seduced by pace and athleticism with our first round picks.

The first question we should always be asking is who are the best FOOTBALLERS available at our early picks. Physical traits are secondary, or at least should be IMO.

Been an entertaining 1st half in the Academy vs Allies game so far. Surely we can get a steal from one of these Academies. I can't see how Brisbane and GWS can afford to select all their good Academy players.
Himmelberg is the one that could slip through as is the 3rd rated gws kid after hopper and Kennedy

Hibberd from tas would be a good 2nd rounder and Wagner similar to gws as 3rd or even 4th rated after Keays hipwood and chol

I really hope we don't get seduced by pace and athleticism with our first round picks.

The first question we should always be asking is who are the best FOOTBALLERS available at our early picks. Physical traits are secondary, or at least should be IMO.
Whilst I agree, we do have some of those already. I could handle an above average kick with speed. We are overbalanced with inside mids even if CEY goes.

Whilst I agree, we do have some of those already. I could handle an above average kick with speed. We are overbalanced with inside mids even if CEY goes.
True but too often good, natural footballers fall down the draft, replaced by good athletes who impress at the draft combine.

I think outside speed can be found via trade better than via the draft. It's not the outside run that wins premierships. It's the honest, tough and uncompromising players who get the job done.

I think it's an important point; we all look at these draftee's profiles looking for size, speed, elite skills but the fact is every footballer has flaws and those tend to be highlighted at least as much as strengths. Drafting is a much more exact science than it used to be but there's always going to be guys like Sloane and Fyfe that fall down the order because of perceived weaknesses.

I definitely think we need some pace in our midfield but have a look at Hawthorn's main midfield guns: Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell. None are overly quick but all are natural footballers.

Needs to be the first thing looked at.
Hodge, Lewis & Mitchell are quicker than Crouch, Lyons, Grigg . They are deceptively quick with a burst of speed. Our players are one paced. I went to the hawks v crows elimination final and they were walking around us. CEY on the other hand needs to be kept on the list , as unlike the other 3 mentioned he has height and has a burst of speed over few metres which helps him avoid tackles. He stands up well in tackles and rarely gets caught. VB and Big Footy lover boy Sam Kerridge are prob pace of the Hawk players but their issue is that they too don't have a change of speed with the ball in hand. They are also atrocious in traffic due to their lack of vision and adequate lateral movement. Both have to go in my opinion.

Hodge, Lewis & Mitchell are quicker than Crouch, Lyons, Grigg . They are deceptively quick with a burst of speed. Our players are one paced. I went to the hawks v crows elimination final and they were walking around us. CEY on the other hand needs to be kept on the list , as unlike the other 3 mentioned he has height and has a burst of speed over few metres which helps him avoid tackles. He stands up well in tackles and rarely gets caught. VB and Big Footy lover boy Sam Kerridge are prob pace of the Hawk players but their issue is that they too don't have a change of speed with the ball in hand. They are also atrocious in traffic due to their lack of vision and adequate lateral movement. Both have to go in my opinion.
Ok. Interesting comparison but kind of out of context. You may be looking for the trade page. This is drafting.

Himmelberg BOG. Imagine they'll be looking to keep him now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After a bit of a review of draft players ....and considering our needs ...IF we get pick 9 from Geelong (a monty)

This is who i'd take ......we have good success with country footballers transferring to Adelaide as well

Charlie Curnow (VIC - INSIDE MID/ KPP)
Height: 191 cm ~ Weight: 95 kg ~ DOB: 03/02/1997

Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Range: 1st ROUND
Style: Patrick Cripps

Why:
If available for Melbourne a player like Curnow will sit nicely for them.

For his age Curnow is physically strong, aggressive and uses his strength well in a contest. Has that explosive speed away from contests as well.

As a tall midfielder he has the versatility in his game to develop into a tall, contested ball winning animal. He wins the ball at ground level and shows clean hands when distributing, suggesting that he can play through the midfield at the next level.

As a forward his not your typical power forward height but his contested marking ability and powerful body size make him a handy tall in the mould of Jake Stringer. Flexible and versatile in what he brings to the table because he can swing back also I don’t see a lot of arm twisting needing to happen if he is available for the Demons to draft.

The question mark over him would be a lack of exposed form in his draft year because of a major knee injury. Similar to the Jake Lever story from 2014 where Lever ended up going later than anticipated because of limited games during his draft year.

After a bit of a review of draft players ....and considering our needs ...IF we get pick 9 from Geelong (a monty)

This is who i'd take ......we have good success with country footballers transferring to Adelaide as well

I agree but the key to retaining them will be finding them an Adelaide based partner.

Think he's over hyped and hopefully won't last to pick 9

Too small for a key forward and not sure he will make it as a mid

Think he's over hyped and hopefully won't last to pick 9

Too small for a key forward and not sure he will make it as a mid
Thaey were saying the same about Cripps as well ......my big like is he's a strong mark and quickish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back