List Mgmt. Draft Watch 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Skippos - which speedy outside type players with good foot skills should I be keeping an eye on (obviously those who we have a shot at getting)?

Our first mistake was picking Mitch McGovern over Bailey Dale. McGovern last year was the age of a second year AFL player and didn't take the WAFL apart. Now he's the age of a third year player. If you're picking mature players out of the state leagues - you want them to impact immediately or have scope to do so to a high level in the future. Mitch isn't his brother - he's not tall enough to develop into a KPP. I'm not sold on him; I'd love to eat humble pie but I reckon blokes like he and Boekhorst are rookie types at best. Dale is already someone who can dominate state leagues and impact at AFL level. he's exactly what we currently need and you bet he'd be in our 22 already playing a role. For some reason despite apparently doing some serious work into him we passed on him - and the Dogs picked him two picks later. The Dogs don't waste picks. We messed up #rant.

This year - Tucker's the obvious one with serious speed and skills but likely won't be there. Partington another who shouldn't be but he might just be given the underration of SA talent nowadays. Ryan Clarke is another who's more creative than a line breaker but would definitely add to our side. Again, I suspect he might be gone by our selection.

In terms of realistic players

Round 1
Matthew Nunn - SA boy, not too tall but gets a lot of the ball and is classy. He's also pretty quick but not a line breaker. More of a narrow receiver for an outside mid.
Harley Balic - Basketballer. Athletic, quick, skilled mid/half forward. Does some freakish things but hasn't put it all together. Not a massive line breaker yet either.
Callum Ah Chee - The pick of the bunch - freakishly athletic and talented small forward. Scope to convert him into a midfielder but I don't see it personally, think he's a permanent forward.
Riley Bonner - SA boy, 191 cm utility with excellent speed and elite footskills, no real defined position and occasionally a bit lazy. Little time in the midfield to prove himself

Round 2 and beyond
Maris Olekalns - Nippy SA kid with some creativity and some poise. Probably more of a flanker.
Wayne Milera Jr. - SA outside mid/forward who works hard, is quick, puts in and has some skills. Plays league for centrals
Tom Bennett - WA kid who'll break the lines but a little shaky in other regards
Keiran Agius - SA kid who has excellent footskills and freakish pace as well as serious ability forward of centre. Has been tried in the middle but hasn't shown the running patterns required yet.
Jake Sushames - Tasmanian forward flanker with excellent creativity, control and speed.

There's no real Jarrod Garlett types in this draft yet, unfortunately. And it'd be nice if someone, even a poor man's version, was available in round 2.

I disagree. Tahana is your elite, elite small defensive defender. Think Nick Smith. He's got that defensive intensity and elite closing speed to blanket and borderline tag the best small forwards. Offensively he doesn't run and carry as much as someone with his athletic gifts should. He's very much a small defender who defends first. I expect him to play 200 good games but never be a dream team type or someone who dominates through the middle.

It's not a case of ignoring his stats but a case of paying attention to where he gets them. He's playing under 18s. He's 97 kilos. To put it in perspective - the best under 18 KPDs are playing league (Francis) or reserves (Westhoff). He's matching up every week on players who have no experience at a higher level, who aren't likely to ever play AFL nor are they in the best junior defenders in the state, and are unlikely to make the SANFL grade either. The average defender he plays on is a 16-17 year old kid who'll play some reserves in a year or three and then go and play club footy. They're 75-80 kilos and still going through puberty. If you were 97 kilos of predominantly muscle, a brick shithouse and relatively quick and fit you'd absolutely monster them. If Allen is even a rookie draft prospect I'd be expecting 6-8 shots per game from him on average at that level. In 18s you don't play on the reserves standard defenders who've got experience at matching up on beefcakes and players with large tanks and are also more physically developed. He hasn't been tested matching up on any player nearing AFL standard or physique.

The test for Allen will be at the champs where he'll match up on players who are more physically developed and more naturally gifted footballers. If he dominates there - then yeah, he'll join the conversation and rightly so. If he gets up to reserves (as he should) and dominates there - then yeah, I'll come to his party. But I suspect he might be exposed a little.

Everything you have said about Allen is correct. Unfortunately, Glenelg didn't do the right thing by him and left him in the U18's when they had a chance to expose him to reserves.
His first game of U18's this year he had something like 27 possessions and 6 goals. He had 5 goals at half time and then played the second half in the midfield. At least he has shown he can play midfield and have an impact rather than just monster smaller opponents in the goal square. If he stayed in the goal square and kicked 10 a game I think you would have even more of a case.

Interestingly, most recruiters now prefer to watch players against their own age group rather than see them go up against 'men'. In Allen's case, I think it would have been much better to have seen him play a reserves game rather than play a second U18's match and have another 25 possession 6 goal game.

The biggest test for Allen is going to be in the midfield in the U18's. If he can accumulate, use the ball well and have an impact, as well as a kick a goal or two up forward, his stock will rise really quickly.

I suspect a LOT of recruiters are still unsure where to put him at this stage. I have no doubt he will get drafted, but at what selection is anyone's guess.

Our first mistake was picking Mitch McGovern over Bailey Dale. McGovern last year was the age of a second year AFL player and didn't take the WAFL apart. Now he's the age of a third year player. If you're picking mature players out of the state leagues - you want them to impact immediately or have scope to do so to a high level in the future. Mitch isn't his brother - he's not tall enough to develop into a KPP. I'm not sold on him; I'd love to eat humble pie but I reckon blokes like he and Boekhorst are rookie types at best. Dale is already someone who can dominate state leagues and impact at AFL level. he's exactly what we currently need and you bet he'd be in our 22 already playing a role. For some reason despite apparently doing some serious work into him we passed on him - and the Dogs picked him two picks later. The Dogs don't waste picks. We messed up #rant.

This year - Tucker's the obvious one with serious speed and skills but likely won't be there. Partington another who shouldn't be but he might just be given the underration of SA talent nowadays. Ryan Clarke is another who's more creative than a line breaker but would definitely add to our side. Again, I suspect he might be gone by our selection.

Round 1
Matthew Nunn - SA boy, not too tall but gets a lot of the ball and is classy. He's also pretty quick but not a line breaker. More of a narrow receiver for an outside mid.
Harley Balic - Basketballer. Athletic, quick, skilled mid/half forward. Does some freakish things but hasn't put it all together. Not a massive line breaker yet either.
Callum Ah Chee - The pick of the bunch - freakishly athletic and talented small forward. Scope to convert him into a midfielder but I don't see it personally, think he's a permanent forward.
Riley Bonner - SA boy, 191 cm utility with excellent speed and elite footskills, no real defined position and occasionally a bit lazy. Little time in the midfield to prove himself

Round 2 and beyond
Maris Olekalns - Nippy SA kid with some creativity and some poise. Probably more of a flanker.
Wayne Milera Jr. - SA outside mid/forward who works hard, is quick, puts in and has some skills. Plays league for centrals
Keiran Agius - SA kid who has excellent footskills and freakish pace as well as serious ability forward of centre. Has been tried in the middle but hasn't shown the running patterns required yet.
Jake Sushames - Tasmanian forward flanker with excellent creativity, control and speed.

There's no real Jarrod Garlett types in this draft yet, unfortunately. And it'd be nice if someone, even a poor man's version, was available in round 2.
How is Oleg markov tracking this season?

Our first mistake was picking Mitch McGovern over Bailey Dale. McGovern last year was the age of a second year AFL player and didn't take the WAFL apart. Now he's the age of a third year player. If you're picking mature players out of the state leagues - you want them to impact immediately or have scope to do so to a high level in the future. Mitch isn't his brother - he's not tall enough to develop into a KPP. I'm not sold on him; I'd love to eat humble pie but I reckon blokes like he and Boekhorst are rookie types at best.

Agree with both. Not sure what those clubs were thinking, especially Carlton. But i'm not sure Bailey Dale has yet done enough to make people start regretting overlooking him. He's going well to be getting a game so early but he's yet to have a break-out performance.

Agree with both. Not sure what those clubs were thinking, especially Carlton. But i'm not sure Bailey Dale has yet done enough to make people start regretting overlooking him. He's going well to be getting a game so early but he's yet to have a break-out performance.
Young Mitch hasn't got a hardened body and don't think we will see him at his best until about 23 yrs of age , has some X factor , a high risk high reward pick up

Thanks. Bonzer (the original) was a big unit and had brilliant skills - didn't quite live up to his potential...if junior has the same talent and size plus work ethic he'll be a player.

Unbelievable Footskills. Is the prototypical size for a flanker/wingman these days. Work ethic not sure

Round 1

Round 2 and beyond

skippos - have you seen Gippsland power play and a kid called debruin? Super quick , was national 110m hurdles champion ...does a few things wrong on footy field but quick and can kick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Jarman you keep that form up please.

Stress fractures in the foot at 16-17 though... certainly not ideal.

Way too early to criticize McGovern. His brother was a very late bloomer and from memory continued to grow into his early 20s. We've got so many mid size players on our list - we need to draft more 190cm+ kids.

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2958/

MCDONALD’S SA UNDER-18 TEAM v WA
At Lathlain Park, 12.50pm on Saturday
F: Quinn, Ladhams, McKenzie
HF: Milera, Allen, Dawson
C: Presbury, Snelling, Dew
HB: Francis, Westhoff, Bonner
B: Tahana, Surman, Agostino
R: Parella, Scharenberg, Hewett
INT: Cross, Haysman, Markov, Partington, Nunn

Some really nice players here, I seen quite a bit of the West players named and they're are fairly talented bunch.
If one or two ended up with us I would be a very happy man.

WA 3.2 6.3 9.7 11.7 (73)
SA 1.2 5.6 7.13 9.18 (72)

BEST – WA: Hackett, Bennett, Jones, Waterman, Watson, Florenca.
SA: Partington, Francis, Haysman, Markov, Milera.

GOALS – WA: Jones 4, Waterman, Ridley 2, Bennett, Smith, Powell-Pepper.
SA: Milera, Haysman 2, Partington, Quinn, Dew, Francis, Hewett.

Luke Partington - 28 disposals, 9 inside 50s, 6 clearances, 1 goal
Hugh Haysman - 21 disposals, 2 goals
Riley Bonner - 24 disposals, 9 rebound 50s
Will Snelling - 19 disposals
Oleg Markov - 18 disposals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back