Drafts Gone By - I was Wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

The story goes he offered Brad Johnson a bag of something on mad Monday and Johnno threw him up against a wall and gave him a massive spray. Was delisted soon enough.

Such a waste of talent

Gee wiz, what a dickhead. Offering that s**t to the club captain Johnno was a really really stupid move if true.

No one should be nominating Howard in this thread as he was just as s**t as we all feared. This call made me think Dalrymple was *ed - him picking Bonti over Aish, Scharenberg etc.. has risen his status to draft god.

We've effectively got picks 1 and 2 from last year's draft!!

I wanted to trade down in the 2003 draft because Cooney was universally the no 1 pick but I thought there were two kids in that draft who were better than him - Fergus Watts and Kane Tenace.

I saw Watts take 5 contested marks in a quarter for Vic Metro, I thought he was the next Wayne Carey.

I wanted to trade down in the 2003 draft because Cooney was universally the no 1 pick but I thought there were two kids in that draft who were better than him - Fergus Watts and Kane Tenace.

I saw Watts take 5 contested marks in a quarter for Vic Metro, I thought he was the next Wayne Carey.

You seriously need a medal scooter coming on here and admitting to that !:p

Toumpas is a good player.

Melbourne could be handed the 18 year old reincarnations of Ablett Sr and Jr, Wayne Carey, Leigh Matthews and Ted Whitten and still manage to turn them into duds.

OT, I remember thinking that Christian Howard was exactly what we needed for when Lindsay Gilbee retired :$
Toumpas isn't a good player yet

When we drafted Bowden and Wiggins, I thought they would complement all the other young talent (Murphy, Gia, Hargrave, Gilbee) and be future KPFs. They both showed glimpses - alas, that was all they showed. Even Cam Wight played one good game against Collingwood when he had a go in the ruck.

But I'm still dirty about Allen Jakovich - not that we drafted him, but that he was slightly overweight then missed the start of the season. There were two games in 96 where he showed glimpses of what we got him for - but he missed a few gettable shots, and the extra kgs were a major obstacle.

But what I'm really dirty about is the under-performing 1970s - nothing to do with drafts, I know, but we had the talent on the field week after week, we had at least one really good coach in Goggin - but we shot ourselves in the foot time and again with atrocious administrations, football club vs social club vendettas - aaarrrrgggghhhh!

Anyway, sorry...

I wanted us to trade picks 5 & 6 for the predraft pick that become Hogan.... That would be us not getting Stringer & Macrae!
Glad I am not making these decisions!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wanted Toumpas as well. Thought he'd be like Griffen.

I remember thinking we'd made a mistake drafting Bontempeli...

Also wanted Aish ahead of Macrae.

Just recently he was done for drug trafficking I think. No one could understand why he couldn't get a game after consistently dominating in the 2s.

Was a couple of years back while he was playing SANFL. Got 150 hours service as punishment.

Played for Leopold in the Geelong league this year and won the league B&F.

Do you think talent wise he had the tools to make it as a player?

Yeah probably.

Just not the application. Drug use is pretty rampant in the game, clubs seem to be willing to turn a blind eye where the "stars" are concerned...not so much rookies and fringe players and offering them to ether club captain who is clearly not into them is probably a career killing move.

I was unhappy that we selected Bontempelli ahead of Kolodjashnij, and to a lesser extent, Aish. All are guns, but Bontempelli's from another planet.

I guess this doesn't count as wrong, but I look back on a few instances and I'm glad we took the path we did rather than my preference, even though those players are doing well. For example, going for Jack Macrae ahead of Ollie Wines, and Clay Smith ahead of Hayden Crozier.

Liam Jones. I'd forever be defending him to all and sundry, perpetually placing him in my best 22, but by the middle of this year I could care less whether he was in the side or indeed remained on the list. When word filtered out that he wanted out, I just heaved a giant sigh of meh!

I really wanted Lewi Taylor from Brisbane and Marchbank from Collingwood last year, both going much later in the draft than expected.
Jono Marsh you mean?

Liam Jones. I'd forever be defending him to all and sundry, perpetually placing him in my best 22, but by the middle of this year I could care less whether he was in the side or indeed remained on the list. When word filtered out that he wanted out, I just heaved a giant sigh of meh!
This is Australia - couldn't

Remove this Banner Ad

Back