Drinking problem - individual perceptions

Remove this Banner Ad

Have just come back from an overseas holiday where I observed some pretty full on alcohol dependency issues with some close mates - issues that I didn't even realise where as bad as they are. Basically, every waking moment they have to have a beer in their hand, to the point where if they didn't they'd get frustrated and angry and take it out on their wives and/or family who were present. These issues are starting to really impact their close relationships.

I like a drink myself, but I never drink during the week, and when I do drink its only on warranted occasions - like nights out with the boys or parties. Guess I'm a binge drinker - I actually cannot stand having only one or two beers for the sake of it cos I just end up feeling bloated and tired and it ruins my day/night. I prefer to have 7 beers or nothing. But there has to be an occasion to make it worthwhile.

This holiday I struggled to keep up - everyone drank at every spare moment. I wanted to stop, but when I was seen without a beer in my hand someone would give me another, or I'd just succumb to peer pressure and just get one - I didn't want to feel the odd one out. By the last day I felt like complete s**t, and also felt subconscious about it all, that others were looking at me like I was just a drunk bogan.

Suffice to say now that Im back Im not touching anything for a month.
I think it's alright when you're a young punk. I can't remember too many trips away or times when mates came over for a weekend where it wasn't spent on benders. But I agree that when you're married or over 25, it becomes embarrassing for yourself and unhealthy – like the overweight bogans sitting poolside in those horrible swim up bars with their fat guts and long Rip Curl boardies. But you know, their abuse is their issue.

The other thing is, this exists in the UK. It's probably worse there. Everybody can afford Ryanair flights to some cesspool in Spain or Greece once or twice a year. All they do is drink lager and try and fornicate. It's not unique to Australia, it's just a human thing to find a vice and indulge in it – and when the repercussions are minimal (bigger gut? who cares? heart attacks? not yet; wife? well the missus isn't leaving me yet!) so why not continue? I think that's the mindframe

You just gotta try to find stuff to do with your time. If you don't have a current hobby it can be fun to search for one and then when you do find something you're interested in to try and find a community that shares and participates in that interest.

I think this is true to a point. Although most people are so stuffed after work/putting up with sh*& all day and week that they are burnt out and the last thing they feel like doing is launching into some massive project that is going to eat time and money. People also just want to relax and alcohol definitely helps with that. Hobbies are good if you can fit them in.

I've become completely burnt out by alcohol, made the decision to go without it for the forseeable future.

years of binge drinking have made me socially impotent, caused a terminal decline in my social circle , a mental mess and have cost me a lot of money. I just don't enjoy it all that much anymore, only feel like sleeping when taking it instead of getting that buzz off it, and the hangovers are just getting worse. At the end of the day I'm 24 and need to get my s**t together and begin developing myself instead of using alcohol to neuter my feelings (would drink a lot alone once every few days) and to try and trigger a social side of me. It's got to the point where I've developed a perceived personality of a heavy drinker and if I'm more talkative, people will assume I'm drunk.

The eureka moment for me was when I went out three weeks ago, had about 20 standard drinks and couldn't conjure the energy to have fun. Made me realise my days of using alcohol as a crutch for having fun are done.

resisting it is tricky though, especially when people around you are having a good time getting pissed. you still think something might click and you will actually have a good time on it. think no matter how far i go along this path, the temptations will still be strong some days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back