Driver whinging has to stop

Remove this Banner Ad

its these kinds of attitudes that make me think SB is on to something

Of course. The inability of a driver to read a sign with numbers on it is a signal that society is hopelessly under the thumb of government/MSM. If only everyone understood that Boofa is a special case because he is a great driver (he watches Bathurst every year) and is much safer at higher speeds than the average pleb.

Complaining about what the speed limit should be is fair, but crying about being caught doing over the speed limit is nuts.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/d...e-from-700m-away/story-fnjwucvh-1226884920088

"We can see them before they can see us. We don’t need to actually see them holding their mobile phone for them to be breaching the road rules."

So now you're liable to be fined for eating or merely glancing down while you drive, with no proof required you're operating a mobile device at the time?

I think the deluge of advertising over the past few years has affected the public conscious, how many ads have you seen over the past few years jamming A FEW K'S OVER CAN KILL down your throat? Personally I would prefer people pay more attention to what's happening around them than their speedometer.

If speed cameras are intended to be a deterrent to speeders and increase road safety, why are they hidden in bushes or the back of X-Trails more than half the time? Surely increased visibility of speed cameras leads to less speeding?

Myth: "Speed cameras are in sneaky positions."
Fact: The Western Australia Police is happy for drivers to be aware of speed camera locations to encourage them to slow down and save themselves from being in a serious or fatal collision.

So why is it that 90% of speed cameras I've seen over the past year or two are hidden in bushes, X-Trails or vans?

If speed cameras are intended to be a deterrent to speeders and increase road safety, why are they hidden in bushes or the back of X-Trails half the time? Surely increased visibility of speed cameras leads to less speeding?

The speed limit is only enforced around the speed camera. Happens in Queensland: crawl past the camera, then do what you like when you're around the corner.

They tend to need to make laws uniform for some areas across states. There are some drastic differences between states which would be unknown by most.

I've never seen a speed camera in a bush, but obviously putting them in parked cars with tinted windows is to hide them

Maybe a policy that states cars with speed cameras must have a sign on the back window ? Lol doubtful, for obvious reasons, but the police just need to stop lying and pretending they're not hiding

Just straight up tell us we have to hide them otherwise they're not very effective

'Hidden' speed cameras like all speed cameras are only annoying if you get caught.

Mounts Bay Rd in Perth always has speed cameras. It's narrow, windy and often shadowed so they are hard to spot. It's also 60 km/h the entire way.

What *s me off more is speed cameras where there are constant speed limit changes. South West Hwy is an absolute shocker. 110, 90, 80, 60, 50, 60, 80, 60 again, 80, 110, 80... FFS.

Why do people speed anyway? Sure it might help on the freeway but in city streets the flow of traffic is all timed by the traffic lights. A lot of the time you're just doing 90 up to a red light while the people doing 60 pull up behind you. They're thinking you're a dickhead hoon and hoping for cops to pull you over so they can laugh at you.

I don't think it's fair just to put it down to 'driver whinging'

it's about the fine/punishment being proportionate to the offence committed...

I've copped a $297 fine for riding my bicycle through a pedestrian red light (i.e, not an intersection) after I had stopped and there were no more people crossing , while an old housemate copped a $500 fine for being 30km/h over the limit in her car (110 in an 80 - she also lost her license... for one month... and she drove anyway :rolleyes: )

Apparently, the 30 km/h speeding wasn't quite double the offence of danger that I committed on my bicycle..

I'm sure there are other examples...

Also, $185 fine for say Stratton_Gun , who by his own admission, wouldn't make that back in his day's work, is a considerably harsher penalty than for someone on $500k+ a year --

I don't drive a car myself these days so speed limits don't tend to affect me that much, but I reckon I could point out a myriad of cars driving dangerously and stupidly around my area that won't neccesarily be picked up on because they aren't 'speeding' -
Just seems harsh for 8 km's over. But from now on I'll just have the GPS on and that will tell me where the speed cameras are so I know where exactly I need to be doing 100 or less (not that I usually am going at 150km's but you know what I mean)

'Hidden' speed cameras like all speed cameras are only annoying if you get caught.

Mounts Bay Rd in Perth always has speed cameras. It's narrow, windy and often shadowed so they are hard to spot. It's also 60 km/h the entire way.

What ****s me off more is speed cameras where there are constant speed limit changes. South West Hwy is an absolute shocker. 110, 90, 80, 60, 50, 60, 80, 60 again, 80, 110, 80... FFS.

There's one every so often they put near my house. It's placed at the bottom of a great big hill (5 minute drive to ascend), around the corner, in the back of an X-Trail, directly in line with the 70 sign. If you accelerate even slightly too early (you know, because you're about to spend 5 minutes driving at a severe incline) you get done. Fortunately it hasn't nabbed me (yet), but how on earth does a camera placement like that do anything to increase road safety?

I've never seen a speed camera in a bush, but obviously putting them in parked cars with tinted windows is to hide them

Maybe a policy that states cars with speed cameras must have a sign on the back window ? Lol doubtful, for obvious reasons, but the police just need to stop lying and pretending they're not hiding

Just straight up tell us we have to hide them otherwise they're not very effective
Beach Rd at Ricketts point. They sit in the bushes at the bottom of a small valley on the road. It's disgraceful.

And I think the police showed how important for road safety they think speed cameras are vs simply revenue raising when they decided that a great way to take industrial action would be to sit behind them with the lights on alerting all drivers to their locations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recently got one for doing 68 in a 60at 1 in the morning... I take responsibility and all that and have paid it... But $180 for that seems excessive given I was the only car on the road.

But lesson learnt I suppose

You knew what the speed limit was.
Before I even get started on this post, I haven't received a ticket in 20 years.
Now, firstly, the speed limit on freeways is deliberately set way lower then what would be called the maximum speed before you could be considered to be driving dangerously. This is done for one reason only, to revenue raise.
There is a reason they put 'School Days Only' on school speed zones instead of warning lights, so people aren't sure and the govt can revenue raise.
There is a reason why they changed the colour of police cars to blend into the background as a normal car, to raise money. This is the same for undercover patrol cars.

Beach Rd at Ricketts point. They sit in the bushes at the bottom of a small valley on the road. It's disgraceful.

And I think the police showed how important for road safety they think speed cameras are vs simply revenue raising when they decided that a great way to take industrial action would be to sit behind them with the lights on alerting all drivers to their locations.
What is the rules regarding if I pull over and park legally so as to bloke the view of the speed camera? :D

Before I even get started on this post, I haven't received a ticket in 20 years.
Now, firstly, the speed limit on freeways is deliberately set way lower then what would be called the maximum speed before you could be considered to be driving dangerously. This is done for one reason only, to revenue raise.
There is a reason they put 'School Days Only' on school speed zones instead of warning lights, so people aren't sure and the govt can revenue raise.
There is a reason why they changed the colour of police cars to blend into the background as a normal car, to raise money. This is the same for undercover patrol cars.

Sigh.

If you can read the sign, you know what the speed limit is and you drive in excess of that speed you run the risk of being caught. If you are caught and get a fine, tough s**t. And I say this as someone who has had tickets.

The issue is not what the speed limit "should" be or the motives of the government. The ability to avoid a fine is in the control of every driver.

bb3e4e2ff14eead37cfe7d8a33d00ccdbdc00416.jpg

I just think the fact that there's money involved is the clearest indicator of all

Why are we forced to pay so much?

Why isn't the demerit point system enough? If you get caught speeding too much you lose your licence, that seems fair

The money isn't a deterrent at all, it's just a pain

I just think the fact that there's money involved is the clearest indicator of all

Why are we forced to pay so much?

Why isn't the demerit point system enough? If you get caught speeding too much you lose your licence, that seems fair

The money isn't a deterrent at all, it's just a pain

My wife doesn't give a s**t about the points. She gives a s**t about the $237.

My wife doesn't give a s**t about the points. She gives a s**t about the $237.

If someone is standing on your toe and cutting off your nipple with a razor you won't care about the toe either

If the points was the only punishment it would become the deterrent. Is it 'strong' enough? Not sure, but is the money strong enough either?

If we lived in a world where speeding meant 1 month jail and a $100 fine and we were having this convo you would say "my wife only cares about the jail time, doesn't care about the $100". Does that make it fair? Who decided a $100+ fine was a fair way to punish people?

Money is still not a deterrent, obviously your wife speeds because she gets the fines

It's unreasonable punishment

Of course. The inability of a driver to read a sign with numbers on it is a signal that society is hopelessly under the thumb of government/MSM. If only everyone understood that Boofa is a special case because he is a great driver (he watches Bathurst every year) and is much safer at higher speeds than the average pleb.

Complaining about what the speed limit should be is fair, but crying about being caught doing over the speed limit is nuts.

It's more the severity of the punishment for trivial offences that irks me. Clown doing 180km down any freeway at 3am is asking for it and should get punished. Going 3 km over the limit where even calibration can be out should be treated as a warning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back