Dropping body to win head-high free

Remove this Banner Ad

The classic Selwood manoeuvre is to take possession of the ball with body low to the ground, retaining his feet so that when the tackle slips away he is in best position to break away from the contest and to dispose of the ball.

Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 9.26.20 pm.png Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 9.25.54 pm.png Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 9.25.31 pm.png Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 9.25.14 pm.png Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 9.24.58 pm.png Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 9.24.42 pm.png

If the intention was simply to draw frees he would drop to his knees.

God help him if any of his opponents actually learn a decent tackling technique. Check them out. Truly awful.

Even the commentators are onto Shueys ducking.
Every time he gets challenged, The Duck Commander get their guns out.

Funny you mention this, Pendles is pretty bad at drawing free's but seems to get away with it time after time..
Never hear boo from the commentators though, Shuey does it (and far better i might add) and its cheating, Pendles does it and its courageous..
:confused:

Thank you for being the first opposition supporter ever to notice the difference.
Lol, notice the difference?
Shuey's arm lift is exaclty the same as Selwoods.. There is no difference, the fact that they are freinds and that Scott Selwood does it too suggests its something they have spoken about or perfected over time..
Every team has numerous players that do it, some are better at it than others.. Shuey doesn't get away with it as much as its made out to be..
Not saying he doesnt do it, because its obvious he does.. Hodge and Pendlebury are serial offenders, gaurantee you wont hear that spoken about in here or by the commentators.. Both Hodge and Pendles are pretty bad at it too, Hodge with the continual falling forward and leading with his head and pendlebury is the same. There is no differnece whether you are falling forward or shrugging the oppositions arm around your neck, its all to draw a free kick.
People who seem to be able to judge one act as being more cringeworthy than the other is pretty cringeworthy in itself..
Players have been doing it in some form or another forever..

Except Shuey flops to the ground at the same time as well as throwing his head back like he's Jack Darling.

His only intention is to draw a free kick.

Yeah like every other player who does it, i never said he didnt..
Like every player, their only intention is to win a free kick. He doesnt throw his head back like Jack so much, it usually goes back because he is happy to wear the contact to win the free..
Again like every other player who does it..
And tbh i have never really seen him flop to the ground either, he knows he will prob get the free, no need for it..
I know you wont agree, thats cool though.. You seem to know more about WC players than WC fans..

In the Selwood pics above his feet are always planted ready to explode away once he breaks the tackle. Shuey on the other hand just flops to the ground waiting for a free. See the difference?

a_160412_spt_sully_17qjcr1-17qjcr3.jpg

In the Selwood pics above his feet are always planted ready to explode away once he breaks the tackle. Shuey on the other hand just flops to the ground waiting for a free. See the difference?
The intention is certainly different - Selwood tends to keep his feet and wants to break the tackle. Daniel Kerr played the same way - would draw head high frees, but usually in the process of breaking the tackle. Like Selwood, he would keep playing as if he had simply broken a tackle.

Shuey and his ilk change the angle of their body and go to ground. There is no 'in play' aspect to what they are doing - they are clearly seeking a free.

The intention is certainly different - Selwood tends to keep his feet and wants to break the tackle. Daniel Kerr played the same way - would draw head high frees, but usually in the process of breaking the tackle. Like Selwood, he would keep playing as if he had simply broken a tackle.

Shuey and his ilk change the angle of their body and go to ground. There is no 'in play' aspect to what they are doing - they are clearly seeking a free.

Wants to break the tackle or draw the free, and he's happy with either. Scooping up his front arm clearly encourages the tacklers arm to slip higher... which makes it more likely he'll win a head-high free, or improve his chances of slipping under the tackle.

It's not an either-or. If he doesn't win the free he'll keep running. But he's not doing it solely and purely to break the tackle. He's not going to mind either way as he'll end up with the ball regardless.

The classic Selwood manoeuvre is to take possession of the ball with body low to the ground, retaining his feet so that when the tackle slips away he is in best position to break away from the contest and to dispose of the ball.

View attachment 68264 View attachment 68265 View attachment 68266 View attachment 68267 View attachment 68268 View attachment 68269

If the intention was simply to draw frees he would drop to his knees.

God help him if any of his opponents actually learn a decent tackling technique. Check them out. Truly awful.

A lot of those tackles started out OK but ended up at neck height after he folded up his fending arm. He consistently lifts that front arm... it's not just body position. He doesn't purely play for frees though. Lifting that arm improves his chances of slipping the tackle or earning a free. He'd be happy with either, I'm sure.

A lot of those tackles started out OK but ended up at neck height after he folded up his fending arm. He consistently lifts that front arm... it's not just body position. He doesn't purely play for frees though. Lifting that arm improves his chances of slipping the tackle or earning a free. He'd be happy with either, I'm sure.
I don't see much evidence there at all of tackles starting out ok. The tackler is typically coming in way too high and ignoring all the advice we receive as youngsters to go low. It's a fundamental problem and if players went low in their tackles a large proportion of the frees would not occur.

Of course, no player that receives high contact will be unhappy with a free kick. The preferable outcome is always to keep playing though as you don't have the disadvantage of going back behind your mark and having your teammates up the ground manned-up.

I don't see much evidence there at all of tackles starting out ok. The tackler is typically coming in way too high and ignoring all the advice we receive as youngsters to go low. It's a fundamental problem and if players went low in their tackles a large proportion of the frees would not occur.

Of course, no player that receives high contact will be unhappy with a free kick. The preferable outcome is always to keep playing though as you don't have the disadvantage of going back behind your mark and having your teammates up the ground manned-up.
The problem with going low is that it's easier for the tacklee to clear his arms and still handball it out. If selwood didn't lift his front arm, more of those tackles would have remained legal.

It's not against the rules for him to do it, and tacklers should know he will... so they just have to take extra care trying to tackle him and a bunch of other blokes that do it.

As for evidence that they started out ok. Pretty hard to conclude anything from the After shot instead of the before. But I'd say the angle of his front arm is pretty suggestive in a few of those shots. 6 out of the 7 really.

The problem with going low is that it's easier for the tacklee to clear his arms and still handball it out. If selwood didn't lift his front arm, more of those tackles would have remained legal.

It's not against the rules for him to do it, and tacklers should know he will... so they just have to take extra care trying to tackle him and a bunch of other blokes that do it.
The choice is clear: go high and likely give away a free or go low and give yourself a chance of pinning the arms and winning the free. I have no sympathy for tacklers that continue to go high when they know these are the outcomes they face.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The choice is clear: go high and likely give away a free or go low and give yourself a chance of pinning the arms and winning the free. I have no sympathy for tacklers that continue to go high when they know these are the outcomes they face.

In the small amount of time they have to make position and execute the tackle, they may forget that they're trying to tackle a Selwood.

It's understandable.

In the small amount of time they have to make position and execute the tackle, they may forget that they're trying to tackle a Selwood.

It's understandable.
Strangely, other players are incapable of executing the same technique. I wonder why.

a_160412_spt_sully_17qjcr1-17qjcr3.jpg

Pfft.. Wow you certainly showed me..
That proves nothing except your constant need to bash WC players..
There is no difference in playing for a free...
Get over it..

Last edited:

So your telling me that because you say shuey flops to the ground that his intention is to win a free kick is more than Joel Selwood's.
Lol, please you people are embarrassing..

1/2 the time Shuey does this he slips the tackle and keeps running, and yeah sometimes he doesn't, a lot of time the free is paid..
Yes sometimes he falls to ground and its embarrassing, but he is far from the only one who does it.
And to try and make out there are different levels of playing for a free kick is embarrassing really.

The most egregious are the players who bend over and put their heads in people's stomachs and drive.

Then one level down is players who drop the whole body.

Least egregious are the shrug to break the tackle (aka selwood). For these, play on I say.

I prefer leagues high tackle rules to be honest.

Last edited:
The most egregious are the players who bend over and put their heads in people's stomachs and drive.

Then one level down is players who drop the whole body.

Least egregious are the shrug to break the tackle (aka selwood). For these, play on I say.

I prefer leagues high tackle rules to be honest.

In the Rugbies you can grab people around the neck. I don't think it needs to go that far but contact above the shoulders in the act of tackling should be play on if there is no 'hooking' so to speak

In the Rugbies you can grab people around the neck. I don't think it needs to go that far but contact above the shoulders in the act of tackling should be play on if there is no 'hooking' so to speak

Initial contact must be made below the neck.

I also am not sure if it needs to go that far either. I like what you've outlined.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back