Drugs/doping in AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Having a hard time giving a toss about what players choose to put into their bodies during off season as long as its not performance enhancing.
I agree and IIRC this photo is from 2 years ago. Just the media ruining some guys life to sell a few papers.

I agree and IIRC this photo is from 2 years ago. Just the media ruining some guys life to sell a few papers.
It really is. I dont partake in the end of year footy trips at my club but I hear stories and the like and this kind of stuff is pretty common, particularly at end of year festivities, and still find most of the guys of high character.

If anything there should be more focus on attitudes to women which seems to me to be a much BigFooty club issue.

It really is. I dont partake in the end of year footy trips at my club but I hear stories and the like and this kind of stuff is pretty common, particularly at end of year festivities, and still find most of the guys of high character.

If anything there should be more focus on attitudes to women which seems to me to be a much BigFooty club issue.
It's not like he's running from police and exhibiting bizarre behaviour in public like Cousins was and even then they went too far.

I agree. I know of people of the highest order who partook in their 20s and turned out fine. They even were then. Not that Bennel has done anything illegal.

Another lesson for Bennell. Don't be getting into fights with Slobbo during the Brownlow night, take him on at you own risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can hear Bennells press conference now.

Id like to sincerely apolgize to my Club, my family & friends and also to my young supporters.
As an AFL player , a role model and a well paid professional athlete theres absolutely no excuse for me drinking cheap arse UDL's.
Im sorry and i will try to reach for the top shelf at Dan Murphys next time.

I can hear Bennells press conference now.

Id like to sincerely apolgize to my Club, my family & friends and also to my young supporters.
As an AFL player , a role model and a well paid professional athlete theres absolutely no excuse for me drinking cheap arse UDL's.
Im sorry and i will try to reach for the top shelf at Dan Murphys next time.

"If I have to take more lines of "sugar" to increase my ability to jump to reach that shelf, the club knows I will take those lines and reach that shelf."

"Harley's a good young kid who made a mistake of going to his local bottle-o, who, being unscrupulous, probably new at their jobs and totally of poor moral fibre due to not being in the AFL, openly filmed Harley after having an IV of what we suspect was Mikes Hard Lemonade. In his stupor, having been duped by these social parasites we have the media dredging up his past as well..."

Far out.. how is a recovery drink performance enhancing and your out for 18 months and speed/cocaine comes under recreational.. This sports got some serious code problems.

Because one actually provides physical/mental benefits that improves a person aerobic capacity or ability in a sporting sense. The other actually modifies a persons mental state in the negative and produces and altered state and negative effects such as hallucinogenics, dehydration, decreases in motor function and etc.

I mean, by and large clubs don't give a s**t that you drink booze over the course of an AFL season, they give a s**t that it dehydrates you and in a social setting the altered mental state leads to dangerous propositions of boldness. It's also why things like this are often swept under the rug, you get a buzz for a day or 2, it remains in your system for a while longer than that, but you can still turn up and you neither lose or gain no ability whatsoever.

Having a hard time giving a toss about what players choose to put into their bodies during off season as long as its not performance enhancing.

There in lies the issue. Drugs are becoming acceptable, when clearly they shouldn't be. The AFL's soft stance on drugs, gives the impression that, although they are illegal...drugs are not really that bad, and that within the demographics of an average AFL team, you are going to have drug takers because its part of society, and they can't drink because of skin folds and whatever else excuse they currently have that provides a premise that whilst drugs are not acceptable, they aren't really that bad.

The AFL needs to take a stance, and show to the community that drugs are not acceptable within the AFL community and nor should they be promoted within general community. These guys are professional, well paid members of society, young and foolish perhaps, but it doesn't mean that their behavior should be tolerated when it has potential to impact many other impressionable people. When "celebrities" are exposed for taking drugs, the impressionable youngsters around the country begin to think that this is clearly the way that athletes, celebrities or what not are acting and perhaps, it is more fashionable for themselves to do a line than it is to have a beer.

Still can't believe the HUN tabloid has posted this picture of Harley. Not good for Harley, sport or the young fans to see this rubbish. The only thing it achieves is sells papers. Just shows that's all the HUN cares about. No integrity whatsoever.

Still can't believe the HUN tabloid has posted this picture of Harley. Not good for Harley, sport or the young fans to see this rubbish. The only thing it achieves is sells papers. Just shows that's all the HUN cares about. No integrity whatsoever.
Exactly. Bravo!

If they didn't post that picture kids would be less likely to take drugs.

Yet they did. and they will say it's in the public interest and that role models should not act in that manner. The fact most people didn't know about this until the picture was posted will be conveniently forgotten...

Yeah, it is really is poor by whatever publication that was. The AFL has an anonymous strikes policy for this reason, and to have Bennell's name out in the public domain is not a good thing at all.

Unethical journalism.
Yeah I feel sorry for Harley. Obviously he's done the wrong thing but to have these photo's on the front page of every paper in the country is so harsh, remember he's just an immature young man. The footy media is turning into TMZ, ruining people's lives to sell their paper/website.

With the AFL's anonymous strike policy in place, could they have stopped the papers from printing these pictures and naming Bennell?

I dont' know whether you could call it unethical.

The issue is not the players capacity to function as a footballer, it's about the long term damage they are doing themselves as a human being. I am not prepared to adopt the attitude that 'these things happen' and 'it doesn't really hurt anyone'. Harley is engaging in behaviour that can ruin his life, and those close to him, as we have seen it ruin many others before him. As a senior player within a very young and impressionable group Harley is also in a position to ruin other players lives by seducing them into making the same mistakes around substance abuse.

It would be unethical if this information was being witheld from all stakeholders, in order to protect former suns players who have tenure in the media! Denial is not an option. I will say that if Harley has a drug issue that has been largely ignored because he is an 'important' player, then call everyone in a position of authority at the Suns to account before you discard this kid to the wastebin of AFL could have beens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back