1. See 8 of the best Greyhounds in the country race for glory in the 2014 Sky Racing TOP GUN. Hit The Meadows to see all the action on Saturday Night October 25.

DT Rookies 2012

Discussion in 'AFL Fantasy and Dream Team' started by Engimal, Feb 1, 2012.

Put it out there
  1. pillager

pillager Team Captain

Collingwood
    Other teams:

This illustartes the advantage of having an M/F (dual position) player in the mids.

I will be considering either Dickson or Hall ------> Greene.

I can trade out either Dickson or Hall and then move Devon Smith to the forward line and then bring in Greene all with 1 trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. James

James Account Cancelled by User

Carlton
    Other teams:
    AKA Gingy
    ^ THIS! :thumbsu:

Some delusional idiot here tried to explain to me (repeatedly) that you do not need a M/F DP link in your mids until the byes. Thankfully I didn't listen to said idiot. A forward DP link in your mids is just as important this year as any other, especially if you have 7-8 M/F's in your forward line.
  3. CrozaN

CrozaN Team Captain

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    I have D.Smith in the forward line :(
  4. Scotland

Scotland Club Legend

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Dickson and Hall are forwards only. Greene is a mid only.

You can't trade out Dickson or Hall for Greene.

You can trade out someone in your mids for Greene and bench Dickson or Hall for Smith if you switch him into the forwards, or you can trade out Hall or Dickson for someone other than Greene.
  5. Hank93

Hank93 SuperCoach Elite

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Glenelg Tigers
    You could if you had a M/F in your midfield.

Click trade on Dickson, Swap Smith for e.g. into the missing Forward spot and trade in Greene.
  6. yogibbear

yogibbear Team Captain

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Well actually they can do that trade IF they have a M/F they can swap with Hall/Dickson while doing the trade. (They changed the D/P trade rules this year so that they make more sense and are more useful).

Still make's James' comment pretty condenscending considering he is REMOVING his M/F link and calling having it "an advantage".
  7. Scotland

Scotland Club Legend

West Coast
    Other teams:
    So for example he's got:

7 mids + Smith

9 forwards

He trades out Hall, ends up with 8 mids inc. Greene, 8 forwards + Smith in one go.

Not sure I'm a fan of this new rule.
  8. Benno_900

Benno_900 Premiership Player

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm strongly considering Wingard -> Greene.

I like Wingard as a player but doesn't seem to have great scoring power.

Is that why you're getting rid of it with that trade?
  9. James

Carlton
    Other teams:
    AKA Gingy
    Not condescending at all as i'm only temporarily removing my DP link in the mids. Will bring it back in 3-5 weeks time after Zorko has played 2 games. Most likely a downgrade for Shiel. I really do like my M/F DP links and won't go more than a few weeks without one. :)
  10. James

Carlton
    Other teams:
    AKA Gingy
    See my last post. :thumbsu:

It's all about structure. I might even go Gibbs>Greene, if I think Barlow will play a full game next week & upgrade my non playing Def rookie to Deledio/Carrazzo.
  11. Ziebellion

Ziebellion Suspended

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Basically by having a DPP in your midfield you were relying on yourself to make a bad rookie pick in the forward line which means you shouldn't have picked player X in the first place, or you were clearly doubting your football knowledge. It also means your were betting yourself to miss a gun midfield rookie such as Greene.

Its hardly confidence in your own self and as Benno has said above, you lose it after one trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. James

Carlton
    Other teams:
    AKA Gingy
    Yes, I'm sure you got all the best mid & forward rookies in your initial team. :rolleyes:

My initial forward rookie picks were Kennedy, Hampton & Couch. My initial rookie mids Magner, McDonald, Shiel & Devon Smith.

Of course I would make a mistake or 2 with my initial rookie selections, almost everyone misses a potential gun & picks a dud or 2. But I try and focus on the ones I got right and get the one or 2 that I missed before the first price rise as do most people. Unfortunately we can't have ALL the best rookies in our teams if we want to put up a competitive score.

I've mentioned on here before that I have 7 M/F's in my forward line. It makes sense to me to have at least 1 linked to the mids. Especially since I have 6 premiums in the forwards. I can replace an injured or suspended premium mid with a premium forward and not lose much score wise.

FWIW I thought Devon looked to be a better DT midfield option than Greene on pre-season form. Will be happy to keep Devon on my fwd bench though. Hampton probably wasn't the best selection, but hey at least I didn't pick Hall or Dickson and can trade him to a gun rookie mid.
  13. yogibbear

yogibbear Team Captain

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Why the hell would you have Couch? He wasn't named in round 1. That is ridiculous. Yet you waste a midfield spot with Devon Smith...
  14. Ziebellion

Ziebellion Suspended

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Yeh would have thought

Kennedy, D.Smith, Hampton (forward)

and Magner, Greene, C.Smith and Shiel midfield was a much better option.

He also missed James MacDonald another better option in the midfield then having Couch or Hampton in the forwards.

By having that DPP C/F playing in the midfield it either means you pick 2 of Hall, Hampton, Couch, Dickson or miss out on the tremendous value in the forward premiums (don't make me list them we already know them).

Each to their own
  15. WhippingCupcakes

WhippingCupcakes Team Captain

Sydney
    Other teams:
    This is my prefered option for getting Greene in also.

Anyone been keeping a close eye on Shiel in his 2 games so far? Is he up to AFL level? Will he start pumping out big scores sooner rather than later?

My other option is downgrading 1 of my premium mids to him. But thats a pretty ballsy move. A rookie that averages 100ppg is hard to ignore though.
  16. stoja

stoja Senior List

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    NEED HELP PLEASE!!

I have picked saad and mckenzie from the crows and i need to trade one out to get kennedy from gws.

Which one to trade out?????!!!!!!?????!!!!!
  17. Ziebellion

Ziebellion Suspended

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    I expect a few rookies to debut this week

Couch, L.Neale, M.Newman and maybe K.Stevens/Brennan as well depending on how many the eagles rest this week.
  18. Patron

Patron Genuine Shuperstar

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Thoughts on milera? thinking about a sideways trade from dickson. He has the best breakeven in the forwardline of players i don't have.
  19. CrozaN

CrozaN Team Captain

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Im most likely doing the same.

Hoping one of Hall/Dickson isn't named to make my decision easier.
  20. James

Carlton
    Other teams:
    AKA Gingy
    1. Kennedy's Rd1 score. My other Fwd bench rook is Hampton who was playing. Couch will play soon so nothing lost. It's just another trade other teams who don't already have him will have to use sooner or later. I still have heaps of cash, so meh if I don't make 10k from Hall or Dickson's first price change.

2. D Smith is not a wasted midfield BENCH spot, since I can DP him with Chapman, Goodes, Fyfe, Sidebottom, Kennedy, Hampton or Couch or use him for a fwd bench spot or even F7 if required.
  21. James

Carlton
    Other teams:
    AKA Gingy
    I started with
    Mids: Magner, McDonald, Shiel, D Smith
    Fwds: Kennedy, Hampton, Couch

Couch will be great value IMHO same as D Smith
    Hampton isn't my best pick, but still better than Hall & Dickson, for his DP if nothing else.

The way I see it, the only gun rookie I missed was Greene and possibly Clay Smith. Getting Greene in this week. Will pass on Clay. Can't fit all the best rooks into 30 spots. FWIW I think Devon Smith will outscore Clay Smith this year.
  22. Schulzenfest

Schulzenfest May as well be Chief

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Not sure if you watched the game, but his 33 wasn't caused by a lack of scoring ability, it was caused by getting smacked in the eye 5 minutes into the second quarter. He got taped up, was stuck not doing anything in Port's forward line during the short time in which he came back onto the field and IIRC didn't get another stat, and then got subbed at HT. His scoring ability is about average for a rookie mid, he should average 60-70 IMO. That said, Greene's scoring power is better. It's up to you whether you think the extra points/money is worth the trade.
  23. Patron

Patron Genuine Shuperstar

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Yer same. If Dicksons dropped im definitely trading him. Im hoping milera will keep his spot. I don't know too much about him tbh but stkilda has poor depth so im hoping this gives him good job security.
  24. Nickos66

Nickos66 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Neale definitely won't play, he pulled up pretty sore from the weekend with a corky apparently, and his stats weren't all that prolific. It's his 1st game of the season proper so he'll play a few more before any chances come his way.
  25. Keystone agony

Keystone agony Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Port Adelaide
    http://www.footballnation.com.au/af...ouch-tipped-to-make-afl-debut-against-tigers/