Toast Duggan for skills coach

Remove this Banner Ad

471174218-liam-duggan-of-the-eagles-kicks-during-the-gettyimages.jpg

i can honesty say I haven't been this excited for a draftee in a long time.
Just oozes class.

Also LOL, can already a) tackle and b) shrug a tackle better then masten, despite being so slight.
Class and some grunt.
Agree, Duggan will be a gun for us.
The future shines through him.

Class and some grunt.
Agree, Duggan will be a gun for us.
The future shines through him.
Yeah Duggan, Nelson and Lamb already have more grunt than three top 10 picks combined (Masten, Gaff and Sheppard).

I was concerned that Duggan was a dual-footed Gaff Mk2, but he's a very good tackler and shows some leadership out there despite being one of the youngest players in the competition.

Yeah Duggan, Nelson and Lamb already have more grunt than three top 10 picks combined (Masten, Gaff and Sheppard).

I was concerned that Duggan was a dual-footed Gaff Mk2, but he's a very good tackler and shows some leadership out there despite being one of the youngest players in the competition.

That first chase/tackle he had when he came on, where he gave away the free for high tackle - my view was "who cares? At least he wants the bloody ball." Good signs.

That first chase/tackle he had when he came on, where he gave away the free for high tackle - my view was "who cares? At least he wants the bloody ball." Good signs.
It was a pretty soft free kick too IIRC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was really impressive today - should have been rewarded for that awesome second tackle he made, very strong and clearly HTB.

The Yeo - Duggan - Kennedy chain was pretty smooth.

I also liked towards the end where he burst through the pack and thumped it inside 50 from the bounce down... At least I think that it was Duggan.

All in all a good day out for the youngster. Looking forward to a midfield of Nic Nat, Yeo, Shuey, Sheed and Duggan every now and then.

Where are those naysayers now?
Who were bemoaning the fact that we missed out on Cockatoo?
Very early days but I think we should at least be comfortable with the decision made.
Yeah, but you do realise he doesn't have midfielder like attributes. He is not 6 foot 3 and can't run 20 metres in 2.75 seconds, what we really need.:)

Great game today and looking forward to seeing him play a full game (hopefully a couple hundred plus of them).

Saw some promising signs. I wasn't sure who to compare him to but that run on the wing where he picked up the half volley reminded me of something Cousins would have done. Hitting a ball at full pace. He peeled off his man, backed himself to win the footy and followed his ball inside forward 50, got the ball, got to his feet and handballed again.

There was another passage in the centre of the ground where he looked to handball but then realised he was in space and changed to bounce. That's composure. Not a s**t panicky handball for no reason, he understood the situation.

I watched the video on him leading up to the draft and besides his obvious skills, everybody was raving about his leadership. Might take some time to fully adapt but I hope the eagles can train him to use his instincts and not train him to panic handball backwards for no reason at all.

I had the same thought. Was really, really pleased that when the scenario reoccurred in the next quarter (with the same Lions player I think?) he paid extra attention in the tackle and made it stick. Definitely one who benefits from experience, agree he needs to be playing full games. With Shuey out he'd be a real chance you'd think.

Also very pleased at the behind-the-play stuff, communication with team mates etc. Did feel like Butler sort of ignored his attempt to celebrate Butler's first goal, wonder if that's just imagined or if it was just because he's basically half Butler's age. :p

EDIT: His first kick to Kennedy was a thing of beauty.

Saw some promising signs. I wasn't sure who to compare him to but that run on the wing where he picked up the half volley reminded me of something Cousins would have done. Hitting a ball at full pace. He peeled off his man, backed himself to win the footy and followed his ball inside forward 50, got the ball, got to his feet and handballed again.

There was another passage in the centre of the ground where he looked to handball but then realised he was in space and changed to bounce. That's composure. Not a s**t panicky handball for no reason, he understood the situation.

I watched the video on him leading up to the draft and besides his obvious skills, everybody was raving about his leadership. Might take some time to fully adapt but I hope the eagles can train him to use his instincts and not train him to panic handball backwards for no reason at all.
Over here in Victoria he has been likened to Robbie Flower and Robert Harvey.

From where im sitting, he currently reminds me of Benny C in his very first season - still raw, but every now and again you can see glimpses of the player he will one day become, and those glimpses are beginning to give me a bit of a chub. Give him 3 or 4 years in the middle and he is going to end up making a lot of opposition on-ballers look very, very amateur.

Lets just hope we can keep him away from the Bolivian marching powder. :straining:

Can see the Harvey comparison, he was similar to Cousins. They both relied a lot on football smarts and hard work. The reason I mentioned Cousins was because of his first touch ability, running at full pace and gathering a ball below your knees was his bread and butter, that play on the wing (admittedly a tiny sample), as well as the subsequent play through the middle where he took it upon himself to kick inside f50 reminded me a lot of Cousins. I hope they don't train him out of that into playing some stupid gameplan where he handballs to someone two metres away. He's a different height and build though, but like Cousins he makes himself look fast without really being that speedy. Maybe Dal Santo would be a good comparison, well skilled and glides across the ground.

Where are those naysayers now?
Who were bemoaning the fact that we missed out on Cockatoo?
Very early days but I think we should at least be comfortable with the decision made.
Here I am, didn't see the game ( was out earning some bucks ) so fill me in here..? did he win the match for us ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back