Traded Luke Dunstan

Remove this Banner Ad

That article mentions that Dunstan's going to Canberra this weekend for an emerging leaders camp. I wonder who else is going, there's a lot of good young leadership to choose from.

Its certainly going to take some getting use to watching the 7 run around on someone else's back next season. Lenny couldn't have chosen a more fitting heir apparent but.
i was huge Nicky Winmar fan.
I remember thinking it looked wrong seeing a young Hayes running around in Nickys number.
We all know how that turned out:):):):)

That article mentions that Dunstan's going to Canberra this weekend for an emerging leaders camp. I wonder who else is going, there's a lot of good young leadership to choose from.

25 players are going on the camp so probably the vast majority of our young kids.

Lenny's legacy. This is why we love him, and why I think he would have made a great captain (for longer than just 2004)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...nstan-to-achieve/story-fni5f9q3-1227119763600
"He’s also benefiting from a discovery about six months ago that he is wheat intolerant after putting on too much weight and constantly feeling sluggish.

A revised diet excluding breads and pasta has seen him drop to a leaner and more explosive 82kg, as well as cop some ribbing from teammates."

In the photo on the back page of the Hun this morning (a different one from the one with that article) he really does look noticeably leaner and it's interesting to see them label him as more "explosive" now. Really looking forward to seeing how these changes affect his game next season. Hopefully he'll be just as strong, but also more explosive and able to cover more ground and get to more contests. :thumbsu:

"He’s also benefiting from a discovery about six months ago that he is wheat intolerant after putting on too much weight and constantly feeling sluggish.

A revised diet excluding breads and pasta has seen him drop to a leaner and more explosive 82kg, as well as cop some ribbing from teammates."

In the photo on the back page of the Hun this morning (a different one from the one with that article) he really does look noticeably leaner and it's interesting to see them label him as more "explosive" now. Really looking forward to seeing how these changes affect his game next season. Hopefully he'll be just as strong, but also more explosive and able to cover more ground and get to more contests. :thumbsu:

Let's hope the explosiveness they are talking about has him running a 2.95sec 20m sprint so we can have two Dangerfield's in the team next year when we take Petracca.

Dunstan could be Dangerfield/Lenny mix and Petracca could be a Dangerfield/Dustin Martin mix. :D:p #dreaming

If this intolerance was known back before his draft day, I'm sure he would have gone a lot earlier in the draft, as he would have preformed better.

If this intolerance was known back before his draft day, I'm sure he would have gone a lot earlier in the draft, as he would have preformed better.

Probably. The added weight could of also allowed him to compete better at SANFL level.

Probably. The added weight could of also allowed him to compete better at SANFL level.
Saints website lists Dunstan at 82kgs. There is no way they would of updated it already. So I would guess 82kg was his draft weight. He then put on mass with training etc. this year. So effectively he is the same weight, just a lot more muscle tone now.

Last edited:
I think he would have been about 86kg earlier this season. If you didn't see his head you wouldn't recognise his body of today from the one of 6 months ago, if the photo on the back page of the Hun is anything to go by.

Agree fully. The queries leading up to his draft were all around his body shape and running ability from what I was told and that was apparently why he went from being a potential top 5 prospect earlier that year (remember the Boyd v Dunstan thread on here! :D) to slipping all the way to 18. It wasn't about his footy ability, as he "hadn't played a bad game in two years" was the mail on his footy leading into his draft.

Really looking forward to next year to see how the likes of Dunstan, Billings, Acres, Templeton and White go with another preseason under their belts. Not to mention Saunders, Murdoch, Markworth, Minchington, Wright, Webster, Newnes, Membrey, Ross, Siposs and so-on and then all those we add in the drafts this year! So much room for improvement with all of them.

We might even be able to come 2nd bottom!

Last edited:
Luke Dunstan 2013 Draft Rewind: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-11-21/2013-draft-rewind-luke-dunstan

AVOIDING the dreaded second-year blues will be a motivating factor for Luke Dunstan as he launches into 2015.

The midfielder enjoyed a stellar 2014 campaign, playing 16 games and earning a Rising Star nomination in his debut match.

As the season wore on, he regularly matched it with more experienced AFL ball-winners.

Now recovering from shoulder surgery towards the end of the season, Dunstan will be held back from full training until just after Christmas.

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Dunstan:

Started the season better than any other debutant, recording 20 or more disposals in 4 of his first 6 matches.

From round 1-6 he averaged 21 disp and ranked 4th and the club for contested poss, 3rd for looseball-gets and 3rd for clearances.

His last 10 games weren't as good, only collecting 20 or more disposals 3 times.

His foot skills need work. He recorded the 11th-worst kick rating of any AFL mid to play at least 6 matches and recorded the lowest retention rate from his kicks of the top 10 disposal winners at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Dunstan:

Started the season better than any other debutant, recording 20 or more disposals in 4 of his first 6 matches.

From round 1-6 he averaged 21 disp and ranked 4th and the club for contested poss, 3rd for looseball-gets and 3rd for clearances.

His last 10 games weren't as good, only collecting 20 or more disposals 3 times.

His foot skills need work. He recorded the 11th-worst kick rating of any AFL mid to play at least 6 matches and recorded the lowest retention rate from his kicks of the top 10 disposal winners at the club.

He was probably playing sore by then, pity they can't factor that data!

He was probably playing sore by then, pity they can't factor that data!

Indeed. It's important to make sure we look at all the stats in context. For instance - Luke Delaney conceded the most goals of any defender in the comp, but that is probably more a reflection of the teams performance than his.

Here's Stanley for you Geelong fans:

Ranked 2nd at the Saints for marks on the lead, inside 50 targets, marks inside 50 and goals.

Ranked 3rd for scoreboard impact and returned career highs for Champion Data ranking point, disposals, contested marks, goals and tackles.

In offensive contests he recorded the 2nd highest winning % of the 42 players inteh AFL to be involved in at least 42 contests - ranked only behind Hawkins.

He won 148 hitouts, 51 went to a teammates advantage - the highest hitout-to-advantage rate of the top 50 players for ruck contests. Only 17 of his hitouts went straight to an oppostiion player - the equal lowest.

Dunstan looking like giving Tommy "Guns" Curren a run for his money in the biceps department. Also looking heaps trimmer through the trunk too, should be fitter to run out games better. All in all, looking in sterling nick.

10828039_10152814275878183_935436979313287817_o.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...average-to-great-in-2015-20150220-13klfw.html

St Kilda are not setting any limits on what they can achieve in 2015 and arguably their most impressive young player is aiming equally high.

Sturdy midfielder Luke Dunstan is in a hurry, aiming to move from "average" to "great" this year.

The ability Dunstan showed in-close during his maiden season belied the fact he was still a teenager, signs even more impressive than those shown by Lenny Hayes in his first season of 1999. The bullocking onballer now wears the No. 7 jumper vacated by the retired Hayes, an honour made all the more special because it was Hayes' call to pass it on.

Dunstan, 20, impressed more than just Hayes last year. A rising star nominee on debut, he polled two Brownlow votes in his third game, and averaged nearly 19 possessions per senior appearance.

Yeah if you compare Lenny and Dunstan's first year Dunstan was astoundingly good. They both played 16 games but Dunstan's stats were about 50% better on average over Lenny.

Granted Lenny grew into a champion over the next few years, I reckon Dunstan has all the ability to match the great man.

Yeah if you compare Lenny and Dunstan's first year Dunstan was astoundingly good. They both played 16 games but Dunstan's stats were about 50% better on average over Lenny.

Granted Lenny grew into a champion over the next few years, I reckon Dunstan has all the ability to match the great man.
Lenny debuted in a different era. 25 disposals then were equal to 35 today.

If Dunstan is half as good as Lenny I'll consider that a win at pick 18. Lenny is underrated imo. Everyone loves him but I feel he gets sold a bit short on his skills as a player.

If Dunstan is half as good as Lenny I'll consider that a win at pick 18. Lenny is underrated imo. Everyone loves him but I feel he gets sold a bit short on his skills as a player.
I tend to agree. His 2009/10 stats were well in the elite category.

Yep agree. Before Lenny developed into the mid he became he was a classy flanker with a knack for a goal, good skills, and, while slow, killer agility. He seems to have just become a warrior but a 'trier' over time. Lukey does like a goal, which is a real positive

Remove this Banner Ad

Back