News Dustin seeks to extend contract.

I would go down on all sorts of ugly if it meant Hannebury made it to the Tigers. He is EXACTLY what we need. Would take him over Dangerfield. Better kick, just as tough, more defensively minded and a left footer. Overall a better compliment to our midfield. Won't happen. Curse the person who suggested it. Curse you all, we aint doing s**t this off season are we?

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Hanners would need to get over his man crush on Buddy.

Maybe he can transfer it to one of our players.

Bloody good player and despite a bit of immaturity is a real honest player with serious ability.

Oct 8, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Spurs, 49ers, SF Giants, GS Warrio
If this plays out as reported it shows a strong demonstration of a united player group which is a great foundation.

The test will be the number ($$$) sought.

Ignoring Sydney, If Hawthorn can be out there with the ability to bring in Frawley ++ it means there is a not over the top pay structure amongst the higher regarded players. This is what separates the better teams, ie players willing to sacrifice a percentage (is it 10-20%?) of their max earn to enable better quality players to be continually brought (note brought as opposed to bought) in.

This is what we need to be able to pull off to allow the mentioned 'buffer' in our salary cap to be deployed to bring in higher quality players via free agency or draft.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Hanners would need to get over his man crush on Buddy.

Maybe he can transfer it to one of our players.

Bloody good player and despite a bit of immaturity is a real honest player with serious ability.
We could tell him we could have had Buddy.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
i'd be happy trading Conca and a 2nd for Hanners.

Would prefer to trade Arnot +2nd though. to get a Rising Star and premiership winner, would be delicious.
So would I. So would any Richmond fan, but Sydney would rightfully tell us to get ****ed.

wart101

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 18, 2006
Under the fridge
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland FC
DUSTIN Martin wants to sign an off-season contract extension as Richmond saves salary cap space to secure him and star captain Trent Cotchin.

The club is expected to lay low during this year’s trade period despite having some money if an inside midfielder emerged.

Football boss Dan Richardson said the Tigers were “highly unlikely” to trade their first round draft pick (currently No. 11) during the upcoming player exchange period.

HARDWICK: EXPECT A HARD ROAD, BOYS

Cotchin, 24, becomes a restricted free agent at the end of next year and is at the peak of his powers after winning his third Jack Dyer Medal on Tuesday night.

Martin, 23, went through a messy contract impasse with the Tigers last year but finished third behind Cotchin and Brandon Ellis — his fourth top-four finish in five seasons.

His manager Ralph Carr told the Herald Sun Martin loved the club and wanted to stay.

Martin kicks the winning goal against Sydney in Round 23. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

“I can’t see any changes. Richmond have been terrific for everyone. We haven’t spoken at this point but I am sure that will happen during the off-season. Dustin has been terrific and it has been an enormous transformation,” he said.

“I think the new deal will obviously reflect his last five years of consistent, high-standard football.”

Cotchin, would be worth more than $700,000 a season and will be only 25 when his deal expires next year.

His manager Craig Kelly, of ESP, said talks were yet to resume but said he would discuss with Cotchin the way forward on a new contract.

“To be honest, we haven’t given it any thought at this point and we will sit down with ‘Cotch’ now we are at the end of the season and his footy is finished,” he said.

“Once everyone gets their head above water after this season we will get into it.”

LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE OF THE SUPERFOOTY PODCAST BELOW OR CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE FOR FREE IN ITUNES

Richmond is in the market for an inside midfielder to bolster its running brigade of Cotchin, Martin, Brett Deledio, Reece Conca, Brandon Ellis, Nick Vlastuin and Anthony Miles.

St Kilda’s David Armitage, North Melbourne’s Levi Greenwood and even Sydney’s Daniel Hannebery have been linked to the Tigers.

But Richardson hosed down that speculation and said the Tigers would invest deeply in the draft.

“As the trade period unfolds, if there is an opportunity to achieve that (midfield depth) through players from other clubs, then that will be considered,” Richardson said.

“But at this point there is not anyone we have formally approached, are talking to or have said that they want to leave where they are at.

“Our strategy is we are keen to improve the depth of our midfield. We’ll be investing pretty heavily in this year’s draft, hence we delisted seven players. We aim to have four to five draft selections plus some rookie selections.”

Richmond’s best trade currency could be a stockpile of young talls, including Ben Griffiths, David Astbury, Tyrone Vickery, Liam McBean and Todd Elton.

FootyIcon4

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders, Detroit Pistons
What does everyone expect Martin's currency to be if he signed right now? (no point trying to extrapolate into next season's performance)

I'd say 4 yrs on 550 but I know Carr will be looking higher

What does everyone expect Martin's currency to be if he signed right now? (no point trying to extrapolate into next season's performance)

I'd say 4 yrs on 550 but I know Carr will be looking higher
He still has a year to run at $480k, I'd offer a 5 year extension that went something like this:
Year 1 - $550k with a bonus clause for finals and B&F finish.
Years 2 & 3 - $600k with a bonus clause thrown in for a flag B&F finish and Brownlow results
Years 4 & 5 - $700k with same bonus clause as above.

Base value: $3.15mil over 5 years. With bonuses that could reach $3.5mil.

Excuse my ignorance here, but Is it common practice for players to have own club based b&f incentives? Are incentive based bonuses included in the cap?

flag, brownlow, AA, any external award I understand, but results that are controlled by the club could be manipulated......

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
He still has a year to run at $480k, I'd offer a 5 year extension that went something like this:
Year 1 - $550k with a bonus clause for finals and B&F finish.
Years 2 & 3 - $600k with a bonus clause thrown in for a flag B&F finish and Brownlow results
Years 4 & 5 - $700k with same bonus clause as above.

Base value: $3.15mil over 5 years. With bonuses that could reach $3.5mil.
Year 4/5 too high for mine. If dusty wants team success, he has stay within the tier 1 of the rest of our stars and that's around the 650k mark.

Back