News Dustin seeks to extend contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

blank cheque?

should realistically be 1 of the 5 highest paid players at the club. 5 years$3.6m.
year 1 - $500 - so we can get a big fish
2 $850 - compo for year 1
3 $850 - compo for year 1
4 $700 - normal amount so contracts for younger players can be increased
5 $700 - normal amount so contracts for younger players can be increased

As a club, we should be starting around the 550 mark.

That's what we start at, but I would be happy paying him anywhere from 550-650. Looks ready to explode.

Some blokes are not born to lead. Martin is one of them. He can be a magnificent player for the Tiges without having to be a leader.

In the same way Swan has no interest in being a leader at the Pies. Magnificent career without having a leadership role...and openly stating he never did.

Now I wonder why I would use Swan as an example...

$600k - 5 year deal

Lets be honest with all the Bullcrap stories the kid hasnt really done anything really bad apart from sleeping in and just being dumb but has mutured abit and will improve more off field as well as on field.

Deserves a 5 year deal after 4 good years
And that's about what he deserves money wise I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why but I always end up calling Dustin Martin, Dustin Hoffman. No matter how many times I make the mistake it seems to be hard wired.

I made this picture to fix the wiring problem in my brain. Didn't know where to post. Enjoy.

View attachment 92944
2014-09-18-12-01-17-1949248048.jpeg

Considering how strong he is and how fast he is, if there is any player on our list that would make sense to sign a 10-year deal with fine print, it's Dusty.

Should have no trouble playing until he's 34 and he won't have a secondary job he's keen to start like Cotchin will.

Dusty's only prime wage will come from football and his body should allow him to perform into his mid-30's. I'd offer him a guaranteed $5 million over 10 years with up to $1 million in performance bonuses. That's a probable $6 million he'll earn for the rest of his career.

It also gives us flexibility as to when we want to pay him. If we can't land a FA one year, we can easily move his payments forward and lure a big fish the year after.

What does everyone expect Martin's currency to be if he signed right now? (no point trying to extrapolate into next season's performance)

I'd say 4 yrs on 550 but I know Carr will be looking higher
I reckon that's about right maybe 4 yrs on 570 . If the rest of the team goes missing for the first half of the year again he can name his price for years 2,3 and 4 though.

He should be paid about the same as Ellis . Martin has more X factor and tools at his exposure yet less consistency and less marketability.
I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of him being traded if it landed us in a position to land a more consistant player . Realistically he is one * up away from playing with Fev or Connors and has really not progressed beyond his 1st couple of seasons . You could argue that he has in fact gone backwards as a midfielder .

He should be paid about the same as Ellis . Martin has more X factor and tools at his exposure yet less consistency and less marketability.
I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of him being traded if it landed us in a position to land a more consistant player . Realistically he is one **** up away from playing with Fev or Connors and has really not progressed beyond his 1st couple of seasons . You could argue that he has in fact gone backwards as a midfielder .

Some one could argue that..... but they would look an idiot.

Martin Stepped up alot last season.... when things mattered. THATS LEADERSHIP!!!!! He wasnt the only player that was affected by the stupid game plan in the front half of the season. And I still think we dont let him play his natural game enough. Let him loose.

However, he is one of our very few genuine match winners.
Some might argue that he has been lucky to get on the end of some long balls at key times.... but he consistently gets on the end of long balls at key times.... and has regularly converted those opportunities.

I don't agree that he has gone backwards as a midfielder as his role was clearly redefined last season as we searched for more sting in attack.

I would offer him 5 years on big coin for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back