Dwayne ' s**t commentator ' Russell - PART 2 in 3d

Remove this Banner Ad

He was at it again tonight on 3aw. The context was (partly) that he reckons Cotchin shouldn't miss a final to see the birth of his kid:

"This Richmond story
could the greatest football story ever told. In 150 years of the game, no club has done what Richmond has a chance to do." "Cotchin is the captain... on the doorstep of being the greatest football club story in this country's history. They'll make a movie about if they get there, no doubt whatsoever..."

2 mins in:
http://media.mytalk.com.au/3AW/AUDIO/20140901_sportstodaypodcast.mp3

I suppose did say "could", but still, * me! :D
Perhaps he does it just to bait us :p

"Would Neil Armstrong have missed the moon landing for the birth of his child?"

It's not verbatim but he genuinely went with that comparison 2 or 3 times!

Incredible.

He also called 'Mark of the Year' on Robbie Gray's mark a few weeks after the Chad Wingard mark which was awarded the title. It was a good mark, sure, but you already commentated on the best mark of the season not long before!

So he got to call the Mark of the Year.

Also at last night Brownlow, alot of his soundbites were used for the round highlights.

That's basically what he commentates for.

Unfortunately he's now been doing this for long enough that his calls of 'THAT'S MARK/GOAL OF THE YEAR!!!!' have actually been on some of the Marks/Goals of the Year. When he says the same thing for multiple Marks/Goals of the Year...

I actually want to slap him in the face whenever he says that. This isn't America Dwayne. He even called Collingwood a franchise during one call this year. I'm no Collingwood fan, but that's an insult to Collingwood and their fans.

Revered by his colleagues, lambasted by the common man. So strange.

I really don't understand why he's so well respected, the bloke is a clown when the ball is bounced, I was listening to a radio station last week talking about the great callers of the game and his name came up, no arguments from anyone on the air...

One thing he does have, and it's an indictment on the industry that this is seen to be a positive/point of difference, is he's accurate on his call of the play. Yes he goes overboard at times (most of the time), uses too many Americanisms, and thinks everything is amazing, but he does call the game accurately.

That's about all I can say that is good about him as he normally makes my ears bleed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing he does have, and it's an indictment on the industry that this is seen to be a positive/point of difference, is he's accurate on his call of the play. Yes he goes overboard at times (most of the time), uses too many Americanisms, and thinks everything is amazing, but he does call the game accurately.

That's about all I can say that is good about him as he normally makes my ears bleed
If you overlook him pronouncing names wrong, calling decisions before they've happened, confusing the rules and failing to correct himself, describing passages of play wrong and failing to correct himself, and assuming player's motives...then yeah, he's a beauty.

The ridiculous catchphrases and overhyping average passages of play aren't the only thing that make him the worst caller in the game. It's the whole package.

I'm still trying to erase from my mind one time he called an Akermanis goal on radio.

"Aker, Aker, Aker, Aker, Aker, AKKKEEEERRRR". He repeated it about 20 times and sounded like he was just about there.

I'm sure they would have had to wipe down the front of the commentary box that night.

The bloke is a pussy. Constantly goes on about the unfairness of the draft, salary cap and that the "big" sides are being held down by the "little" ones and that less teams should be in Melbourne. Big clubs should get blockbuster fixtures and the little ones should battle it out to earn them. But put him in an interview with Peter Gordon, Geoff Walsh, Paul Roos, Nick Riewoldt etc and he sucks up their arse. Why doesn't he tell them that he doesn't think their club should exist? Total gutless flog.

Who's up for a Dwayne Russell bingo/drinking game combo this season? Only way to make his s**t bearable.

I am in for this. :thumbsu:
Someone with some computer smarts (I have barely any) should create a bingo card with Derrrrrwaynisms on it and see if we can fill it during one game.

Derrrrrrrwayne has a massive ego almost as big as his humongous head and we know he reads this so there is a chance he might try and call them all in the one game after he see's it.

That was probably for the benefit of all the people who have just joined us. He's always acutely aware of keeping all the people who have just joined us up to date at 60 second intervals.
Do you think he is aware of the fact that people tune in and then turn the TV off because of his commentary and then just turn it back on again in five minutes because they want to know the scores?

Alright for a bingo card we need a list of Dwayneisms, I've listed what I can remember below. If any aren't said enough to make the card let me know too. The more the better because we can dish out multiple cards.

Crazy good!
In case you've just joined us
Is that a free kick?
Surely a free kick!
From the paint!
Makes it somebody else's problem
The best you've ever seen
There's still time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back