Dylan Shiel...

Remove this Banner Ad

I only want to see us trade our first if it's for a bloke who's 23 or younger, needs to be someone who will grow with our list

The second and third rounders I'm happy to spend on someone for immediate improvement because the likelihood of finding value with our later picks is lower

I'd be pleased to see some sections of our list eviscerated. No need to involve draft picks, just break out the chopping block.

I want to see us go really hard after a free agent ie. a Dangerfield type and then trade big for a Dylan Shiel type (again paying overs).

Add those two to Jones, the already evident ability of Tyson and Viney along with the natural development of Brayshaw and Petracca and within 24 months we are top 4 side. I have no doubts that we have a great group of core talent. We just need to regenerate artificialy the "lost years" ie guys that should be on our list that are aged 21-25yo today (ie the 2007-2012 drafts).

That would be the perfect scenario. I'd like to see us trade our first pick for another Tyson type deal - something like our first and second round picks for a Shiel/Treloar type and 3rd rounder. Along those lines. Talented young mids that already have a few pre-seasons under the belt and are ready to slot straight into the team.

We have one though but he has only played 2 games... I know this sounds bad because I too hate the 'messiah' mentality, but after watching Hogan at AFL level the last 2 weeks you can already tell that he is going to be a serious player who can take games away from teams ala Brown, Carey and Hawkins... We do need that midfield star but I think with Dom, Gus and Petracca as well as Salem and Viney we really have a fantastic base... I'm not as keen on chasing Shiel only because I think he would cost us WAYYYYYY to much... Look at Hawthorn, when have they ever shelled out big time or a played? or Sydney (pre Buddy & Tippett) or Geelong? Hawthorn built their nucleus and brought blokes in around it at a price (Burgoyne possibly an exception but he didn't cost them that much)... You cant pay to much for one player, and I can't see Roos and Viney doing it unless it is as a free agent...

I keep thinking of guys like Voss and Hodge that you could see during a tight game just decide, we're not having this, go and win the ball in the middle and turn the games momentum back their way. We need this type of player, either brought in or current players that grow into that kind of leader.

We should be eyeing off Zak Jones, I reckon. Has a half decent reason to come here without thinking he's mental and is in a logjam of developing mids at Sydney.

That would be the perfect scenario. I'd like to see us trade our first pick for another Tyson type deal - something like our first and second round picks for a Shiel/Treloar type and 3rd rounder. Along those lines. Talented young mids that already have a few pre-seasons under the belt and are ready to slot straight into the team.

I keep thinking of guys like Voss and Hodge that you could see during a tight game just decide, we're not having this, go and win the ball in the middle and turn the games momentum back their way. We need this type of player, either brought in or current players that grow into that kind of leader.

Nathan Jones has been doing this for years , but you can't turn around 10 goals on your own

Nathan Jones has been doing this for years , but you can't turn around 10 goals on your own

No, but that's why we brought in Garlett, Lumumba, Newton, Frost, and so on.

That's true but Voss and Hodge are a level above. Need to surround him with a Black, Lappin, Aker or Lewis, Mitchell, Sewell midfield around him and for sure he'd shine even more.

Oh yeah but your voss and hodges don't come around often

Tyson has black like skill
Brayshaw could be the voss type with his ability on both feet
Salem could do the hodge role etc

But I don't think you can develop players like that , they develop themselves

What would we have to give up for Mitchell? Our first and second round for Mitchell and their first? A lot will depend on how much Mitchell gets to play this year I spose.

Yeah if we haven't been seriously pursuing Mitchell for a year or two now we're well off it. Is as good of a midfield talent as anyone else in the competition under 22yo.

Well, the bloke getting a game ahead of him (Heeney) seems to have jumped him in that queue too. Whether Mitchell is an elite talent or not, we've got room for him. Is almost 22 now so you'd think a guy of his alleged gifts would be starting every week by now. There'll be a bit of a bum rush for his services in October if he doesn't break into the side before season's end.

What would we have to give up for Mitchell? Our first and second round for Mitchell and their first? A lot will depend on how much Mitchell gets to play this year I spose.

I think it'd cost us... Carlton were keen last trade period and they're likely to have one of the first two picks in each round judging by their form at the start of the season. They are going to be gagging for young talent that is ready to go, and we don't need to be outbidding a desperate side for his services.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it'd cost us... Carlton were keen last trade period and they're likely to have one of the first two picks in each round judging by their form at the start of the season. They are going to be gagging for young talent that is ready to go, and we don't need to be outbidding a desperate side for his services.

Yeah, depends who Carlton target as well I guess. Happy for them to go for Mitchell if it means we can snare Shiel or Treloar.

Well, the bloke getting a game ahead of him (Heeney) seems to have jumped him in that queue too.
Heeney looks to be a jet.

+ in this years draft, Swans have a father son and academy player who are both rated top 5 pick.

Mitchell's 22yo and played 20 games. How is he paid $450K to play reserves? staggering.

From the Swans board from Wayne Swan

Mitchell if he gets senior games and racks up the numbers he has in previous senior appearances is worth 13-15 (gives us Dunkley plus change leftover). Every other team is wondering why he's not getting games. Come to think of it so are we. If we leave him languishing in the ressies he might want to leave and it will be a pick in the 25-35 range.

Also from the same thread from chunkychicken

Tom Mitchell - 18 games, 21 years old
Position: Midfielder
Value: 1st round pick or 2nd + 3rd
Probability: High
A proven ball winner and inside midfielder, could have gone to Carlton in the trade period but the Swans talked him into staying. He's struggling to get into the side, and with Heeny and Mills, it's just about impossible for him to get a game. Whilst he doesn't lack in ball winning potential, he just doesn't have the power of Kennedy, or the disposal efficiency of a good midfielder. He reminds me of a slower Watson with equal ball winning potential.

I don't think he's certain to go, but quite likely.

Might as well come and join in the conversation ponsdale, we won't bite :straining:

In any case if you asked us which teams we would prefer, personally, Melbourne or Dogs. He was getting games in 2013 and looked to have broken through permanently. He banjaxed his ankle last season in round 2 I think it was and couldn't break back in because of Parker. It's the only reason he doesn't get a game - Parker.

Also from the same thread from chunkychicken

No idea who that guy is, but if you're being forced to relieve yourself of a gun young kid, the last thing you want in return is a few there and thereabouts picks. When you've got as much talent on the list as the Swans currently do, they'll want a first rounder. 2nd rounder plus 3rd rounder doesn't get them far unless they've got a fair amount of time to on-trade them.

Might as well come and join in the conversation ponsdale, we won't bite :straining:

In any case if you asked us which teams we would prefer, personally, Melbourne or Dogs. He was getting games in 2013 and looked to have broken through permanently. He banjaxed his ankle last season in round 2 I think it was and couldn't break back in because of Parker. It's the only reason he doesn't get a game - Parker.
I pretty much invited you to comment ;) thanks for coming over.

No idea who that guy is, but if you're being forced to relieve yourself of a gun young kid, the last thing you want in return is a few there and thereabouts picks. When you've got as much talent on the list as the Swans currently do, they'll want a first rounder. 2nd rounder plus 3rd rounder doesn't get them far unless they've got a fair amount of time to on-trade them.
The Swans may actually need draft picks to use to 'buy' their academy (Mills) and Father/Son (Dunkley) selections. Obviously the higher the better. They way things stand now, if the Swans want both, it may cost them all of the 2015 draft picks and possibly even R1 of 2016 on some scenarios.

In getting in Heeney this year and potentially Mills and Dunkley next year, the Swans may opt to squeeze out one of their current mids. Mitchell not being able to break into the 22 may command the highest return for least given away at this stage.

Would we be prepared to give up a R1 pick for Mitchell?

To get Dunkley, we need to trade for him. Mitchell will most likely be first in the gun.

Rightio. Does that mean that:
  1. The new draft system has been ticked and is going to happen at the end of this season?
  2. The father son bidding takes place after the trade period so they can stock up on draft picks? Or their draft picks will get eaten up at F/S bidding and they'll have to trade their way back into the top 100 draft selections if they pickup a few kids?
New system seems a bit s**t to me. All well and good to suggest teams should now be giving up multiple picks for a kid, but then if that kid doesn't fulfill his potential... that's a lot of eggs in the kitchen sink.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back